Brazilian girls ease into U19 final to face Russia
Porto, Portugal, July 14, 2013 – Eduarda Santos Lisboa and Taina Silva Bigi danced their way into their first FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championship final on Sunday. The Brazilian girls entertained the audience in the beach stadium in Porto with a swinging performance to defeat USA’s surprise team Sara Hughes and Kelly Claes 2-0 (21-18 21-17) in the semifinal.
Brazil's Taina Silva Bigi and Eduarda Santos Lisboa eased into the final |
In the final Brazil face Anna Gorbunova and Nadezda Makroguzova from Russia who had a great comeback against Germany’s Sarah Schneider and Lara Schreiber: 2-1 (17-21 22-20 15-12).
Struggling to overcome the solid block of the South American team, USA based their strategy on the surprise factor, with Claes choosing to attack on the second touch a lot.
This earned the US team, who knocked out Polish U21 champions Kociolek and Gruszscynska and the Swiss title favourites Betschart and Eiholzer on Saturday, several points the US team, but not enough.
Fourteen-year old Eduarda, who already won silver at the U23 World Championships this year, said earlier this week they were here to win the gold. They played confident throughout the event and entered the final with straight wins only.
“We're playing well”, 17-year old Taina said. “We agreed to do our best and that is what we did.”
“If we get the gold this will be an unforgettable experience", Eduarda said. "We are playing against the Russian team, but whoever our opponent in the final is, it would surely be a very strong team. Therefore, we had no preference for either team.”
Narrow escape for Russia
In the other semifinal Gorbunova (17) and Makroguzova (16) had a narrow escape at the end of the second set against Germany.
Schneider and Schreiber could have easily closed the deal with two match points at 20-18, but forgot to attack and instead just safely dinked the ball over the net.
Russia grabbed the opportunity and claimed the set at 21-20.
In the tiebreak Gorbunova and Makroguzova started with a the lead straight away and took it all the way to 15-12.
“This is surreal”, Makroguzova said. “At the end of the second set we just kept going and tried to refocus and it worked.”
Gorbunova missed out on the final last year, winning bronze with Ksenia Dabizha. With Makroguzova she finished 5th at the U21 this year.
It will be the first time teams from Brazil and Russia meet in a U19 World Championship final. Brazil has made it to the final three times before, winning two, but the last one dates back to 2005. Russia won two silver medals in 2009 and 2010.
Volleyball U19 World Championships Tournament Page
Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Girls’ Results
FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Boys’ Results
FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Twitter Account
FIVB Beach Volleyball Facebook Account
- Fuzhou Opens marks start of record-breaking season
- Triple gold medalist Andrea Giani on past, present and future World Champs
- Getting to know: Belgium “Yellow Tiger” Valérie Courtois
- Slovakia to make the most of World League experience
- 2014 FIVB World Tour debuts with Fuzhou Open
- Two undefeated teams head into last preliminary match of Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Phil Dalhausser looks to climb back to the top in beach volleyball
- Watch: Drawing of Lots reviews capture excitement of FIVB World Championships
- Fuzhou gets ready for first FIVB beach volleyball event of the year
- Pepe magic helping Paraguay toward Nanjing dream
- Tianjin, Taipei undefeated, Hisamitsu lead Pool A after day 3 of Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Fuzhou Open Q&A: Get to know China's beach volleyball stars
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball Media Guide now available
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iran claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing