USA upset Polish U21 world champions
Porto, Portugal, July 13, 2013 – USA’s Sara Hughes and Kelly Claes produced the first big upset of the FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships on Saturday. The American girls knocked out the U21 world champions Katarzyna Kociolek and Jagoda Gruszczynska in the second elimination round, winning 2-0 (21-16 21-19).
USA's Kelly Claes and Sara Hughes upset the Polish U21 world champions Kociolek and Gruzscszynska|
Hughes has some experience, competing in youth and junior world championships before and finishing fourth last year at the U21 with Summer Ross, but 17-year old Claes made her international debut in Porto.
The tall blocker stood her own though, when the Polish girls, who came nowhere near their usual level, managed to come back from 20-16 to 20-19 at the end of the second set. Claes finished the game with one of her big spikes.
“We knew they were the U21 champions coming into the tournament”, Hughes said. “And when we played them we knew we just had to fight hard and give it our all.”
The key to winning was “being big, swinging hard, playing our own game”, Claes said.
The girls felt that playing in the first elimination round, unlike the Polish who got a bye as pool winners, helped them a bit.
“It was on court 4 and we really felt in our element because it was windy and that’s what we are used to. It gave us a little bit more advantage”, Hughes said.
They are up for another tough match in the quarterfinals, when they meet Nina Betschart, who won the U21 in 2011 and 2012, and her partner Nicole Eiholzer from Switzerland.
Hughes and Claes lost to the Swiss girls in the pool on Friday. “But, we will go for the gold now”, said Hughes.
Volleyball U19 World Championships Tournament Page
Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Girls’ Results
FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Boys’ Results
FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Twitter Account
FIVB Beach Volleyball Facebook Account
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 9 - LIVE
- Talking Stats: 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour - Oct 1
- Second round has arrived with promises of more exciting matches
- Video challenge eyes the court in second and final round
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - As It Happened
- Introducing Round 2: Russia, USA, Turkey and Bulgaria seek a pass to the Final Six
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 14 events
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- First round concludes with thrilling matches across Italy
- Ma-Xia win beach volleyball gold at Asian Games
- First FIVB World Tour medal bittersweet for Italy's Menegatti/Orsi Toth
- Call brings old Brazilian friends back together on the beach
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Brazil holds off Italy to win women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Netherlands stops Brazil for men’s gold medal at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China’s Ma-Xia to face Thailand’s Udomchavee-Radarong in the final of Asian Games beach volleyball tournament
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Varenhorst calls in the Experience to FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Beach growing in the land of Volleyball
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- Brazil, Netherlands to tangle for men’s gold Sunday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- Brazil to meet Italy for women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Last-minute invite leads Popp to fifth place at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Four China teams make Asian Games beach volleyball semis
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Men’s final four set for Saturday’s semifinals at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Women’s final four set for Saturday’s semis at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Slow end doesn't dull Czech Republic's Slukova/Kolocova breakthrough year
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Twenty-four men’s duos advance from pool play Thursday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Canada's Binstock/Schachter earn memorable triple in São Paulo
- Women’s field reduced to 24 teams at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Were you at the final?
- Austria's Schwaiger on road to Rio with new teammate
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Ten unbeaten women’s teams Wednesday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam