USA upset Polish U21 world champions
Porto, Portugal, July 13, 2013 – USA’s Sara Hughes and Kelly Claes produced the first big upset of the FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships on Saturday. The American girls knocked out the U21 world champions Katarzyna Kociolek and Jagoda Gruszczynska in the second elimination round, winning 2-0 (21-16 21-19).
USA's Kelly Claes and Sara Hughes upset the Polish U21 world champions Kociolek and Gruzscszynska|
Hughes has some experience, competing in youth and junior world championships before and finishing fourth last year at the U21 with Summer Ross, but 17-year old Claes made her international debut in Porto.
The tall blocker stood her own though, when the Polish girls, who came nowhere near their usual level, managed to come back from 20-16 to 20-19 at the end of the second set. Claes finished the game with one of her big spikes.
“We knew they were the U21 champions coming into the tournament”, Hughes said. “And when we played them we knew we just had to fight hard and give it our all.”
The key to winning was “being big, swinging hard, playing our own game”, Claes said.
The girls felt that playing in the first elimination round, unlike the Polish who got a bye as pool winners, helped them a bit.
“It was on court 4 and we really felt in our element because it was windy and that’s what we are used to. It gave us a little bit more advantage”, Hughes said.
They are up for another tough match in the quarterfinals, when they meet Nina Betschart, who won the U21 in 2011 and 2012, and her partner Nicole Eiholzer from Switzerland.
Hughes and Claes lost to the Swiss girls in the pool on Friday. “But, we will go for the gold now”, said Hughes.
Volleyball U19 World Championships Tournament Page
Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Girls’ Results
FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Boys’ Results
FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Twitter Account
FIVB Beach Volleyball Facebook Account
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers