USA upset Polish U21 world champions
Porto, Portugal, July 13, 2013 – USA’s Sara Hughes and Kelly Claes produced the first big upset of the FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships on Saturday. The American girls knocked out the U21 world champions Katarzyna Kociolek and Jagoda Gruszczynska in the second elimination round, winning 2-0 (21-16 21-19).
USA's Kelly Claes and Sara Hughes upset the Polish U21 world champions Kociolek and Gruzscszynska|
Hughes has some experience, competing in youth and junior world championships before and finishing fourth last year at the U21 with Summer Ross, but 17-year old Claes made her international debut in Porto.
The tall blocker stood her own though, when the Polish girls, who came nowhere near their usual level, managed to come back from 20-16 to 20-19 at the end of the second set. Claes finished the game with one of her big spikes.
“We knew they were the U21 champions coming into the tournament”, Hughes said. “And when we played them we knew we just had to fight hard and give it our all.”
The key to winning was “being big, swinging hard, playing our own game”, Claes said.
The girls felt that playing in the first elimination round, unlike the Polish who got a bye as pool winners, helped them a bit.
“It was on court 4 and we really felt in our element because it was windy and that’s what we are used to. It gave us a little bit more advantage”, Hughes said.
They are up for another tough match in the quarterfinals, when they meet Nina Betschart, who won the U21 in 2011 and 2012, and her partner Nicole Eiholzer from Switzerland.
Hughes and Claes lost to the Swiss girls in the pool on Friday. “But, we will go for the gold now”, said Hughes.
Volleyball U19 World Championships Tournament Page
Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Girls’ Results
FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Boys’ Results
FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Twitter Account
FIVB Beach Volleyball Facebook Account
- Getting to know: Belgium “Yellow Tiger” Valérie Courtois
- Slovakia to make the most of World League experience
- 2014 FIVB World Tour debuts with Fuzhou Open
- Two undefeated teams head into last preliminary match of Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Phil Dalhausser looks to climb back to the top in beach volleyball
- Watch: Drawing of Lots reviews capture excitement of FIVB World Championships
- Fuzhou gets ready for first FIVB beach volleyball event of the year
- Pepe magic helping Paraguay toward Nanjing dream
- Tianjin, Taipei undefeated, Hisamitsu lead Pool A after day 3 of Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Fuzhou Open Q&A: Get to know China's beach volleyball stars
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball Media Guide now available
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iran claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship