American MVP’s enjoy the sand in Porto
Porto, Portugal, July 12, 2013 – Torey DeFalco and Lucas Yoder are both celebrated volleyball players in the Junior Nationals in the US, but are doing not so bad either on the sand in Porto. They topped their pool with three straight wins at the FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships.
USA's Lucas Yoder and Torey DeFalco topped their pool with three straight wins|
After 2-0 wins over Zimbabwe and Austria they defeated local heroes Bernardo Martins and Francisco Pombeiro 21-14 21-18 on Friday. The second set was more of a point-by-point game in which Portugal more than once took a lead, but in the end DeFalco finished the match with two aggressive spikes.
“We started off slow and slowly found our game as it progressed”, DeFalco said. “The second game was closer, we made too many unforced errors and that’s what put it into more of a head-to-head game.”
It was the first time they played on the centre court in the Porto beach stadium. “The environment was a bit different. We just had to warm up and play our game and then it started working out better.”
The loud and rowdy fans of the Portuguese team did not bother them at all. “We are used to playing in big venues for indoor clubs”, Yoder said.
Yoder (18) and DeFalco (16) both play volleyball and compete in the national junior league. They have both been voted Most Valuable Player (MVP) in the U16 and U18 Junior Nationals.
Beach or volley
They combine volley and beach and have not made any decisions about their future yet. “I have been tossing back and forth”, DeFalco said. “I have played a lot of beach and indoor. I have not completely decided yet.”
“I think they are both fun and they help each other”, Yoder said.
“The beach game helps my indoor and vice versa. You have to do every skill on the beach so in indoor that helps a lot. When you are in the back, you really have to read where they are going to hit and play a better defence.”
Both boys agree that their first beach volleyball trip abroad will help them in the future. “It’s definitely a good experience for a later career”, DeFalco said. “It’s a good warm-up for a possibly professional level later in life.”
But the tournament is not over yet and there are more challenges to come. “We had a good pool with good challenges and it was a good warm-up for the play-offs”, Yoder concluded.
Volleyball U19 World Championships Tournament Page
FIVB Beach Volleyball U19
World Championships Girls’ Results
FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Boys’ Results
FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Twitter Account
Beach Volleyball Facebook Account
- Kantor and Losiak use home comforts to continue rapid development
- LIVE - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 5
- Walsh keeping Olympic dream alive in Olsztyn
- Russia top World Cup first round rankings
- Nine clubs to compete for Asian title
- Cheeky Swiss pair upsets Pedro & Evandro
- Russia, Cuba, Italy and Turkey secure top 8 spots at Men's U23
- Canadians hit stride early in Olsztyn
- Austrians and Aussies progress in Olsztyn
- Van Gestel and van der Vlist hit form after injury break
- Top favourites succeed in Day 4 of World Cup
- President Graça commends Fuji TV’s excellent World Cup coverage
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 4
- Bawden and Clancy dare to dream of Copacabana Beach
- Poland celebrates first U19 World Championship title
- Finding a foothold
- Russia win clash of Titans at Men's U23 World Championship
- President Graça welcomes new JVA management to volleyball family
- Lima and Fernanda survive qualification to reach Olsztyn main draw
- New partner, new options for Marketa Slukova
- SoCal sojourn inspires Squeo
- Rankings, rankings and rankings
- Brazil’s next big thing!
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 3
- Favourites start victorious at Men's U23 World Championship
- VOTE: Will Russia get their reward?
- Russia stand as lone unbeaten team on Day 3 of World Cup
- Follow the Men's U23 World Championship in the United Arab Emirates
- World champs lead the way in Olsztyn
- FIVB World Tour heading to Poland for FIVB Olsztyn Grand Slam
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update following FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal, USA
- Keeping it simple for world champions!
- Alison & Bruno continue winning ways on FIVB World Tour
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 2
- Talita & Larissa SoCal Golden Girls
- Coaches name Brazil, Russia and Italy as Men's U23 favourites
- China and Russia score back-to-back wins on Day 2 of World Cup
- Austrians' magical sand
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 1
- Russia, Cuba, USA, China, Peru and Japan seal victories in World Cup opener
- Taichung Bank capture maiden Asian Men’s Club title
- The future is bright for Women's U23 champions Brazil
- Teams in Tokyo all set for World Cup opening day
- VOTE: Top of the class?
- Rising star Souza takes Brazil forward
- Walking in illustrious footsteps
- Taichung Bank and Al Arabi ready for Asian Men’s Club Championship final
- Moim expects Kenya to surprise
- Defending ASICS World Series of Beach Volleyball champions net pool title
- The telephone call!