Polish U21 champions into knockout round after two comfortable wins
Porto, Portugal, July 11, 2013 – Poland’s Katarzyna Kociolek and Jagoda Gruszczynska booked an early ticket to the elimination rounds on Thursday after two comfortable wins on the first day of pool play of the FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships in Porto.
Reigning U21 world champions Jagoda Gruszscynska (left) and Katarzyna Kociolek are on of the favourites for the U19 title|
The reigning U21 world champions defeated Norway’s Benedicte Maaseide and Cecilie Woie 2-0 (21-12 21-5) in an early morning match. In the afternoon they had another 2-0 (21-10 21-11) win over Venezuela’s Valeria de los Angeles and Celeinis Bernal in sunnier conditions.
Although the second match did not take but 24 minutes, the two 18-year old girls were not satisfied with the way they played.
“Our first match was great, we played very good and did not make a lot of mistakes”, Kociolek said. “The second match was horrible, we were so lazy and sleepy. And we made a lot of errors. Maybe it was because we had to play on another court, maybe because it was much hotter. I don’t know.”
Impressive honour list
Just three weeks ago Kociolek and Gruszczynska won the FIVB U21 World Championships in Umag. Last year they won the European U18 Championships and Kociolek already collected gold and silver with Karolina Baran at the 2011 and 2012 editions of the Youth World Championships.
The Polish girls are considered one of the favourites for the 2013 U19 title in Porto, especially since Kociolek gained some experience at the World Championships in Stare Jablonki last week, finishing 37th with Daria Paszek.
Hard to be a favourite
“Favourites? Yes, but one of them”, Kociolek said. “But it is always hard to be a favourite and win the tournament. Maybe it can be a motivation for us. I hope it will help us, if not for winning, then for a medal.”
“I think Switzerland and Brazil are favourites too”, Gruszscynska said. “We beat them before, but this is a different tournament and everything is possible. But I hope having the experience of winning in Umag will help us.”
Volleyball U19 World Championships Tournament Page
Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Girls’ Results
Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Boys’ Results
FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 Twitter Account
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- “It’s been a long season”
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”
- As the Mikasa Turns - Bansley & Pavan "split" conversation
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- TALKIN’ STATS: Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Preview
- Toronto's Tuesday Trial - Pavan’s pristine picture?
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016
- Pools and schedule outlined for Men's Club World Champs
- Trentino, UPCN and Bolivar join top teams at Men’s Club World Champs
- Lupo and Nicolai staying grounded despite Rio silver
- Schedule set as World Tour Finals countdown enters final week
- A month after opening, Brazil still bask in Rio 2016 gold glory
- Relive Egypt's Olympic beach volleyball debut
- One month after first serve, memories of Rio still stay strong
- Reminiscing Rio and the delights of Copacabana