Polish U21 champions into knockout round after two comfortable wins
Porto, Portugal, July 11, 2013 – Poland’s Katarzyna Kociolek and Jagoda Gruszczynska booked an early ticket to the elimination rounds on Thursday after two comfortable wins on the first day of pool play of the FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships in Porto.
Reigning U21 world champions Jagoda Gruszscynska (left) and Katarzyna Kociolek are on of the favourites for the U19 title|
The reigning U21 world champions defeated Norway’s Benedicte Maaseide and Cecilie Woie 2-0 (21-12 21-5) in an early morning match. In the afternoon they had another 2-0 (21-10 21-11) win over Venezuela’s Valeria de los Angeles and Celeinis Bernal in sunnier conditions.
Although the second match did not take but 24 minutes, the two 18-year old girls were not satisfied with the way they played.
“Our first match was great, we played very good and did not make a lot of mistakes”, Kociolek said. “The second match was horrible, we were so lazy and sleepy. And we made a lot of errors. Maybe it was because we had to play on another court, maybe because it was much hotter. I don’t know.”
Impressive honour list
Just three weeks ago Kociolek and Gruszczynska won the FIVB U21 World Championships in Umag. Last year they won the European U18 Championships and Kociolek already collected gold and silver with Karolina Baran at the 2011 and 2012 editions of the Youth World Championships.
The Polish girls are considered one of the favourites for the 2013 U19 title in Porto, especially since Kociolek gained some experience at the World Championships in Stare Jablonki last week, finishing 37th with Daria Paszek.
Hard to be a favourite
“Favourites? Yes, but one of them”, Kociolek said. “But it is always hard to be a favourite and win the tournament. Maybe it can be a motivation for us. I hope it will help us, if not for winning, then for a medal.”
“I think Switzerland and Brazil are favourites too”, Gruszscynska said. “We beat them before, but this is a different tournament and everything is possible. But I hope having the experience of winning in Umag will help us.”
Volleyball U19 World Championships Tournament Page
Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Girls’ Results
Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Boys’ Results
FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 Twitter Account
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday
- Amiable Apeldoorn absolutely awesome area for elimination rounds
- Paraguay's Michelle/Filippo incredible experience in Apeldoorn
- Juliana and Larissa set up Amsterdam showdown
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Three Dutch men’s teams advance to elimination rounds
- Artacho and Laird out to cause an upset in Amsterdam