Russia upset top seeds in U19 qualifications
Porto, Portugal, July 10, 2013 – Russia’s Oleg Stoyanovskiy and Artem Yarzutkin upset top seeded Pedro Henrique Resende Santos and Matheus Maia Terra de Faria in the qualification tournament of the FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships on Wednesday.
Portugal's Artur Resende attacks against Michiel Zandbergen from Switzerland|
The Russians defeated the Brazilians 2-0 (22-20 21-15) after another 2-0 (21-14 21-18) win over Latvia’s Reinis Pridans and Pauls Alberts van der Beks in their first qualification match.
“It was a tough match”, 16-year old and 2,01 metres tall Stoyanoskiy said. “Brazil is a very strong team.”
The Russian boys only teamed up half a year ago and prepared with a one-week training camp for their first FIVB event.
“We put everything in this match”, Yarzutkin said.
“To reach main draw in our first competition is a very good result for us and we hope to do well in main draw.”
Yarzutkin thought this would be a nice present for his sister’s birthday. “But a medal would be even better.”
Swiss team disappoints Portuguese fans
With the support of a huge home crowd on the centre court of the beach stadium in Porto, Jorge Graca and Artur Resende put up a great fight against 7th seeded Michiel Zandbergen en Quentin Metral from Switzerland.
After losing the first set, the Portuguese fought back and held off numerous Swiss match points to win the second 29-27. They could resist two more match points in the tiebreak but lost eventually 2-1 (21-11 27-29 15-12).
“Yes, they had a lot of support and we could hear it clearly on the court”, Zandbergen said. “But we brought some fans of our own that made a lot of noise as well.”
Zandbergen is competing in his first FIVB age group event and usually does not play with Metral because they are both blockers, but he is filling in for Metral’s injured partner.
“We got sloppy in the second”, he said about the match against Portugal. “ We won the first set very easy. We thought the second one would be like that, so we relaxed a little. That was not a good strategy.”
Zandbergen and Metral will be the only Swiss team in the main draw of the boy’s competition, which starts on Thursday. A total of 32 teams divided over eight pools of four teams will compete in a round robin to get into the elimination phase.
Only the top three of the pool advance to the round of 24 on Saturday. The semifinals and medal matches are scheduled for Sunday.
Volleyball U19 World Championships Tournament Page
Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Qualification Results
FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 Twitter Account
- FIVB President Graça launches '9 goals' strategic plan
- Russia and the Netherlands to clash for European crown
- Beach Volleyball Impressions - 1981 from southern California to now in south Florida
- USA win third consecutive NORCECA title
- Brazil, Germany and USA pairs net Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals bracket berths
- USA face Dominican Republic in NORCECA Women’s Championship final
- Women’s EuroVolley semis are set; Russia play Serbia, Oranjes take on Turkey
- Brazilian world champions featured Wednesday
- Lost in America
- Italy, Poland, Belgium and Germany complete line-up for women’s EuroVolley quarterfinals
- “Wild Card” Tuesday at SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- 2017 Beach Volleyball World Championships bidding process extended
- SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals - Revised Side Court Schedule
- A mum who sides out
- Congress preparations in full swing as President Graça visits FeVA
- Netherlands, Russia, Serbia and Turkey progress to women's EuroVolley quarterfinals
- $500,000 Swatch FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Finals
this week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
- Brazilian city of Maceio host South American tournament calendar highlight
- Puerto Rican Aury Cruz ties own scoring record
- Russia lead men’s U21 rankings
- Dominican Republic top women’s U20 rankings
- Japan host successful outreach programme
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update after FIVB Xiamen Open
- Eight teams vie for South American Championship crown
- First FIVB World Tour gold for Switzerland's Heidrich/Zumkehr at Xiamen Open
- Milestone Saturday for Lucena & Dalhausser
- Zumkehr/Heidrich upset top seeds Wang/Yue to enter Xiamen Open semifinal
- Milestone gold medal for USA’s Lucena/Dalhausser in Xiamen Open
- Brazilian men stay top of FIVB World Ranking
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Participants Dalhausser & Lucena advance in China
- Latvia's Plavins/Regza storm to first FIVB World Tour semifinals at Xiamen Open
- Top seeds Yue/Wang unbeaten in pool play at Xiamen Open
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals participants beat the heat & humidity, stayin’ alive
- Nine berths still up for grabs as USA and Italy qualify for Rio
- Top seeds Wang/Yue off to good start in Main Draw at Xiamen Open
- President Graça praises outstanding World Cup
- Samoilovs/Smedins, Lucena/ Dalhausser reach last 16 at Xiamen Open
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Men's World Cup Japan 2015 - Final Day
- USA’s Anderson heads Men’s World Cup Dream Team
- USA wrap up historic World Cup as Italy join them on road to Rio
- Russia crowns outstanding year with Men's U21 victory
- Dominican Republic celebrates historic success
- Top seeds Samoilovs/Smedins lead pool in Xiamen Open Main Draw
- Germany's Mersmann/Schneider lead eight teams into women's Main Draw at Xiamen Open
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Men's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 10
- President Graça meets Peruvian congresswoman Chihuan
- Three teams to battle for Rio 2016 berth on final day of World Cup
- USA's Crabb brothers reach 2015 Xiamen Open Main Draw in first major tournament
- Day & Kessy jet-setting around the world - SoCal to China to FLA to SoCal
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Men's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 9