Russia upset top seeds in U19 qualifications
Porto, Portugal, July 10, 2013 – Russia’s Oleg Stoyanovskiy and Artem Yarzutkin upset top seeded Pedro Henrique Resende Santos and Matheus Maia Terra de Faria in the qualification tournament of the FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships on Wednesday.
Portugal's Artur Resende attacks against Michiel Zandbergen from Switzerland|
The Russians defeated the Brazilians 2-0 (22-20 21-15) after another 2-0 (21-14 21-18) win over Latvia’s Reinis Pridans and Pauls Alberts van der Beks in their first qualification match.
“It was a tough match”, 16-year old and 2,01 metres tall Stoyanoskiy said. “Brazil is a very strong team.”
The Russian boys only teamed up half a year ago and prepared with a one-week training camp for their first FIVB event.
“We put everything in this match”, Yarzutkin said.
“To reach main draw in our first competition is a very good result for us and we hope to do well in main draw.”
Yarzutkin thought this would be a nice present for his sister’s birthday. “But a medal would be even better.”
Swiss team disappoints Portuguese fans
With the support of a huge home crowd on the centre court of the beach stadium in Porto, Jorge Graca and Artur Resende put up a great fight against 7th seeded Michiel Zandbergen en Quentin Metral from Switzerland.
After losing the first set, the Portuguese fought back and held off numerous Swiss match points to win the second 29-27. They could resist two more match points in the tiebreak but lost eventually 2-1 (21-11 27-29 15-12).
“Yes, they had a lot of support and we could hear it clearly on the court”, Zandbergen said. “But we brought some fans of our own that made a lot of noise as well.”
Zandbergen is competing in his first FIVB age group event and usually does not play with Metral because they are both blockers, but he is filling in for Metral’s injured partner.
“We got sloppy in the second”, he said about the match against Portugal. “ We won the first set very easy. We thought the second one would be like that, so we relaxed a little. That was not a good strategy.”
Zandbergen and Metral will be the only Swiss team in the main draw of the boy’s competition, which starts on Thursday. A total of 32 teams divided over eight pools of four teams will compete in a round robin to get into the elimination phase.
Only the top three of the pool advance to the round of 24 on Saturday. The semifinals and medal matches are scheduled for Sunday.
Volleyball U19 World Championships Tournament Page
Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Qualification Results
FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 Twitter Account
- Women’s Qualifier Opens Gstaad Major
- Egypt celebrates major triumph for African volleyball
- 360° images recreate finals magic
- Agatha and Barbara top rankings after Netherlands heroics
- Brazil dominates podium in The Hague
- FIVB World Tour resumes in Switzerland at Swatch FIVB Gstaad Major
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update following
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships the Netherlands 2015
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event