CEV Sandbanks Summer Youth Festival a major success
Sandbanks, England, July 9, 2013 – The Sandbanks CEV Beach Volleyball Festival hosted 210 teams over 3 days for a fantastic weekend of Beach Volleyball. Teams from all over England and some from Europe made the journey to Sandbanks Beach in Poole.
210 teams joined the CEV Youth Summer Beach Festival held over three days at Sandbanks Beach, England |
Geoff Allen, Tournament Director, said: “We were especially delighted to welcome back 12 junior teams from Landstede Volleyball in Zwolle, Holland. The tournament is fast becoming their favourite event on the summer beach tour calendar.” 48 teams competed in the English South-West Schools Championships organised by former FIVB World Tour player Denise Austin on Friday.
Come the Saturday morning, there was a blue sky, no breeze and rising temperatures. Following a group warm-up by Fitness First which filled the promenade with players, volunteers and even some passers by joining in the fun, play kicked off at 9.30am on Saturday morning with players of all ages showing off their growing talent and excellent skills on court. The fantastic performances by the young athletes continued throughout the weekend attracting lots of interest from the general public who stayed and watched to find out more about the sport of Beach Volleyball.
Breaks in play on centre court were filled with games aimed at getting people involved in Beach Volleyball, such as serving the ball into a bucket and a rally with a giant MIKASA Beach ball! The tournament was also visited by 3 local Olympians, Dan Hunter (Team GB Men), Lucy wicks (Team GB Women) and Ben Pipes (Team GB Men’s Captain) who were on hand to answer questions, sign autographs and have photographs with the young budding Olympians.
Chairman of Wessex Volleyball Club, Geoff Allen added: “When the weather is so good, everyone enjoys their Beach Volleyball. But there is a lot of planning and hard work that goes into making an event like this run smoothly and a massive thank you is due to the group of Wessex player’s parents who give their time so freely. We were honoured that the CEV chose to support our event here in Sandbanks this year. Hopefully, this will show Europe that such support can bring great results.”
- The Duke holds court at volleyball training session
- Watch: Highlights of 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Draw
- Legendary coach Karpol visits FIVB
- Germany ready to battle for ticket to 2014 World Champs
- And the countdown begins to the Durban Open
- Ghana, Nigeria in final phase of Women's World Championship qualification
- Record 28 teams for 2014 World Grand Prix
- Celebrating Czech Republic's 'Mini volleyball in colours'
- Mini volleyball fever takes hold of Palestine
- World League expands to 28 countries
- VIS seminar concludes in Trinidad and Tobago
- Rwanda, Kenya join Egypt to World Champs final qualification phase
- World Tour Council meets in Lausanne
- Egypt claim gold at World Champs zone 5 qualifier
- Talita and Lima confirmed as women’s rankings champs
- Alison and Emanuel announce split
- 5 teams share immaculate record after CEV Champions League third round comes to a close
- Egypt continue with another win as Rwanda edge Kenya in World Champs qualifier
- Jamaicans Hutchinson, Bryan book China ticket in style
- Trinidadian girls Ward, Davidson seal Youth Olympic spot
- Fruitful meeting for Beach Volleyball Commission
- Yet another successful year for Brazil's VivaVolei festival
- Beach Volleyball tour starts in Sierra Leone
- Impressive 56-54 set score at Korean V-League match
- Jamaica, Barbados surprise top teams for China chance
- Watch: The best of 2013 FIVB World Tour now online
- Egypt lead with second victory as Uganda register first win in World Champs qualifier
- Russian dominance ends as Brazil back at number one
- Level II coaches course gets underway in Mauritius
- One step forward for beach volleyball in Indonesia
- Egypt struggle past Kenya as Rwanda ease past Burundi in World Champs qualifier
- FIVB flourishes on Chinese social media
- Zorzi evaluates World Grand Champions Cup performances
- Volleyball workshop boosts sport in Palestine
- Media accreditation reminder for Durban Open
- Trinidad & Tobago host successful setter seminar
- Brazil win fourth World Grand Champions Cup title, Russia and Italy settle for silver and bronze
- Brazil, Russia, Italy all have a shot at Grand Champions Cup gold before last round
- With third straight victory Brazil cement their leadership at Men’s Grand Champions Cup
- Fans flock to FIVB's YouTube following historic Thailand win
- Coaches look forward to another three days of world-class volleyball
- Natalie Cook: "I'm looking forward to 2014 and beyond"
- Andrea Zorzi: 'Size and height aren’t Japan’s only problem'
- Afghanistan gives beach volleyball a jump-start
- Brazil only team with two victories as Grand Champions Cup moves to Tokyo
- Team Japan’s improvement will take time says former volleyball star Motoko Obayashi
- Iran captain says mentality has changed dramatically under Velasco’s leadership
- Andrea Zorzi reviews World Grand Champions Cup opening day
- FIVB and Rio 2016 collaborate to ensure spectacular Olympic Games
- Italy, Brazil, USA all start Men’s Grand Champions Cup on a high note