Ricardo’s 16-year old son to debut at the U19 World Championships
Porto, Portugal, July 8, 2013 – Just a few days after Brazil’s 38-year old Ricardo Santos won the silver medal at the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships in Stare Jablonki, his 16-year old son will make his international debut.
Pedro Henrique Resende Santos makes his international debut at the U19 World Championships|
Pedro Henrique Resende Santos will compete at the U19 World Championships in Porto from July 11-14.
The event in Portugal is the third and final FIVB age group tournament this year after the U23 World Championships in Myslowice, Poland, and the U21 in Umag, Croatia, in June.
Around 80 teams from over 30 different countries will compete in the beach stadium in the Portuguese coastal town.
Poland favourite in the women’s competition
In the women’s competition Poland’s Katarzyna Kociolek and Jagoda Gruszczynska are likely candidates for the title, since they won the gold medal at the U21 in Umag just a few weeks ago.
Also competing in Portugal is the 2011 and 2012 U21 world champion Nina Betschart from Switzerland and 14-year old Eduarda Santos Lisboa who won silver at the U23 in Myslowice this year.
The 12th edition of the U19 World Championships starts on Wednesday with the qualification tournament. In the main draw 32 teams divided over eight pools, each playing a round robin.
The elimination phase begins on Friday, with the semifinals and medal matches scheduled for Sunday.
Porto, the second largest city in Portugal, hosted the U19 World Championships once before, in 2010. Portugal also staged 13 men’s and nine women’s FIVB World Tour stops in Espinho.
Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Tournament Page
- The Duke holds court at volleyball training session
- Watch: Highlights of 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Draw
- Legendary coach Karpol visits FIVB
- Germany ready to battle for ticket to 2014 World Champs
- And the countdown begins to the Durban Open
- Ghana, Nigeria in final phase of Women's World Championship qualification
- Record 28 teams for 2014 World Grand Prix
- Celebrating Czech Republic's 'Mini volleyball in colours'
- Mini volleyball fever takes hold of Palestine
- World League expands to 28 countries
- VIS seminar concludes in Trinidad and Tobago
- Rwanda, Kenya join Egypt to World Champs final qualification phase
- World Tour Council meets in Lausanne
- Egypt claim gold at World Champs zone 5 qualifier
- Talita and Lima confirmed as women’s rankings champs
- Alison and Emanuel announce split
- 5 teams share immaculate record after CEV Champions League third round comes to a close
- Egypt continue with another win as Rwanda edge Kenya in World Champs qualifier
- Jamaicans Hutchinson, Bryan book China ticket in style
- Trinidadian girls Ward, Davidson seal Youth Olympic spot
- Fruitful meeting for Beach Volleyball Commission
- Yet another successful year for Brazil's VivaVolei festival
- Beach Volleyball tour starts in Sierra Leone
- Impressive 56-54 set score at Korean V-League match
- Jamaica, Barbados surprise top teams for China chance
- Watch: The best of 2013 FIVB World Tour now online
- Egypt lead with second victory as Uganda register first win in World Champs qualifier
- Russian dominance ends as Brazil back at number one
- Level II coaches course gets underway in Mauritius
- One step forward for beach volleyball in Indonesia
- Egypt struggle past Kenya as Rwanda ease past Burundi in World Champs qualifier
- FIVB flourishes on Chinese social media
- Zorzi evaluates World Grand Champions Cup performances
- Volleyball workshop boosts sport in Palestine
- Media accreditation reminder for Durban Open
- Trinidad & Tobago host successful setter seminar
- Brazil win fourth World Grand Champions Cup title, Russia and Italy settle for silver and bronze
- Brazil, Russia, Italy all have a shot at Grand Champions Cup gold before last round
- With third straight victory Brazil cement their leadership at Men’s Grand Champions Cup
- Fans flock to FIVB's YouTube following historic Thailand win
- Coaches look forward to another three days of world-class volleyball
- Natalie Cook: "I'm looking forward to 2014 and beyond"
- Andrea Zorzi: 'Size and height aren’t Japan’s only problem'
- Afghanistan gives beach volleyball a jump-start
- Brazil only team with two victories as Grand Champions Cup moves to Tokyo
- Team Japan’s improvement will take time says former volleyball star Motoko Obayashi
- Iran captain says mentality has changed dramatically under Velasco’s leadership
- Andrea Zorzi reviews World Grand Champions Cup opening day
- FIVB and Rio 2016 collaborate to ensure spectacular Olympic Games
- Italy, Brazil, USA all start Men’s Grand Champions Cup on a high note