Ricardo and Alvaro upset defending champions to reach the final
Stare Jablonki, Poland, July 7, 2013 – In an all-Brazilian semifinal Ricardo Santos and Alvaro Filho dethroned defending world champions Alison Cerutti and Emanuel Rego at the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Mazury 2013 on Sunday.
Brazil's Ricardo celebrates reaching his fourth final and Alvaro's first|
In the final they will face Alexander Brouwer and Robert Meeuwsen from the Netherlands who beat Germany’s Jonathan Erdmann and Kay Matysik 2-0 (21-13 21-17) to become the first Dutch team to ever win a medal at the World Championships.
The last time 38-year old Ricardo played his former teammate Emanuel was in the final of the World Championships in Rome in 2011, where Emanuel clinched his third world title. This time the odds were on Ricardo’s side as he and Alvaro beat their compatriots 2-0 (21-14 22-20).
Ricardo won his only world title with Emanuel in 2003 in Rio de Janeiro and already competed in seven earlier editions in which he also won two silvers, but for young Alvaro, who teamed up with Ricardo only this year, this is his first World Championship and his first ever final at this level.
Living in a dream
“I still can’t believe it. I live in a dream”, Alvaro said. “Ricardo was the partner I always dreamed of. He’s amazing. I never thought I would be a professional player one day and now I am here. My father always said you have to believe in your dreams and in yourself. If you believe you can do anything, even when you are short like me.”
After winning the first set Ricardo and Alvaro were trailing in the second set, but took a lead at just the right moment. After warding off a set point, they had their first match point at 21-20, and claimed victory after a shaky reception by Emanuel.
“We were very focussed”, Alvaro said. “Ricardo knows them very well and we talked a lot about tactics. I just did what he said.”
Dutch delight on centre court
Dutch Brouwer and Meeuwsen, who never even reached a final four on the World Tour before, set the tone from the beginning against Germany’s Erdmann and Matysik. With high attacks, tall blocks and strong serving the Dutch were in total control.
Erdmann and Matysik, who reached the semis with only straight wins, had only one chance to take the lead, at 15-15 in the second set. But the Dutch withstood the challenge and reached their first set point at 20-16 to claim their first final on the second one.
“We had a lot of serving pressure on them”, Meeuwsen said. “That’s one of our main strengths. You could see how hard is was for them to side-out with a big block. And every ball that Alex defends, he scores. This is a really effective way to play beach volleyball.”
“We never played with such an atmosphere in the stadium”, Brouwer said. “They won every match with straight sets so far and that was amazing. I still can’t believe we are in the final, still don’t realize what is happening here.”
For the final they will have the support of their girlfriends who drove all night to get to Stare Jablonki. “Brazil is always a really tough opponent, either one of them. We just play our best and see if it’s enough or not”, Meeuwsen said.
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win
- Olympic anniversary celebrated with Legends match