Borger and Buthe first Europeans to reach women’s World Championships final
Stare Jablonki, Poland, July 6, 2013 – Karla Borger and Britta Buthe keep on writing history this week. After becoming the first German team to reach the final four of a women’s FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championship, they are also the first European team to ever play in the final.
Britta Buthe and Karla Borger are the first European team ever to reach the women's final|
So far it has only been US or Brazilian teams that played for the women’s world title, but at the Mazury 2013 edition both USA and Brazil are missing.
Borger and Buthe beat USA’s 2009 world champion April Ross and her stand-in partner Whitney Pavlik 2-0 (21-15 21-19) and China’s 2011 bronze medallists Chen Xue and Zhang Xi defeated Brazil’s Liliane Maestrini and Barbara Seixas 2-0 (21-11 21-17) in the other semifinal on Saturday.
Unbelievable week for Germany
The German team had an excellent start this week topping the pool with three wins, but never would have thought they would end up in the final.
“It feels really weird”, Buthe said. “Everyone is looking at me right now, it’s unbelievable we are in the final of a World Championship. Somebody will have to sit us down and make us believe it. “
“I think we did so well because we did not have any pressure. Our goal was 9th place, 5th would have been really good, but to make it to the final... We did not even think about that.”
In the first set against Ross and Pavlik, who filled in at the last moment for injured Jennifer Kessy and who’s best result so far was 25th on the World Tour, the Germans hardly made any mistakes.
In the second Borger and Buthe were trailing till 17-17, then it was point by point and at 20-19 Borger ended the match with another great shot to the back of the court.
“I think we were very strong mentally. We know what the other one needs. Karla kept me calm and told me exactly what to do”, Buthe said.
Xue and Zhang Xi aim to become first Chinese world champions
China's Xue Zhang Xi can become the first Chinese world champions tonight at 18.00. It's only the second time China have reached a FIVB World Championship final after Jia Tian and Jie Wang lost to Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh in 2007.
The Chinese started aggressively and overpowered Lili and Seixas in the first, but Brazil took a two-point lead at the beginning of the second. China was trailing until Xue’s excellent block got them a two-point lead at 19-17. A powerful spike by Zhang Xi and another block by Xue finished the match at 21-17.
“Brazil moved us around a lot in the second set”, Zhang Xi said. “But we played a good match because my partner was blocking well and it was easy for me to play.”
The Chinese pair missed out on the last three World Tour events to play on the national tour and needed some time to adjust to the international level again, even losing one of their pool play matches at the start of the event.
“We were not sure if we would do well today, because we did not play our best in the first three matches. But I think we are finally getting our rhythm. We are very excited, because our dream is about to come true.”
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Tournament Page
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Women's Schedule
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Men's Schedule
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Women's Entry List
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Men's Entry List
- Fuzhou gets ready for first FIVB beach volleyball event of the year
- Pepe magic helping Paraguay toward Nanjing dream
- Tianjin, Taipei undefeated, Hisamitsu lead Pool A after day 3 of Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Fuzhou Open Q&A: Get to know China's beach volleyball stars
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball Media Guide now available
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries