End of the dream for Vanuatu
Stare Jablonki, Poland, July 5, 2013 – One of the great success stories of the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Miller Elwin and Henriette Iatika of Vanuatu finally had their dream run come to a close in the women’s Round of 16 at the hands of the favourites and top seeds from China Chen Xue and Xi Zhang on Friday.
Elwin and Iatika have been playing on the FIVB World Tour since 2008, their best result dating back to Shanghai 2012 when they finished 17th at the Grand Slam|
The 25 and 28-year-old respectively have hit the headlines throughout the five days of the tournament with their outstanding performances, which saw them finish third in their pool to advance to the knockout phase, record an impressive win over 15th seeds Kristyna Kolocova and Marketa Slukova in the Round of 32 before falling to Xue and Zhang Xi 2-0 (22-20, 21-11).
The result is a ninth place finish and $11,000 in prize money in their first appearance in an FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships by Vanuatu.
Friday’s effort in the Round of 16 match summed up their campaign, with passionate play in the back court and determined defence. They had set point in the first set against the 2011 World Championship bronze medallists, before Xue and Zhang Xi claimed three points on the bounce before going on to win.
"We are proud of how we played against the Chinese, they are ranked number one and we are seeded 37th,” Iatika said. “Our friends and family back home are extremely proud of us, we have received plenty of messages of support.”
“After this amazing experience, we would like to continue but we have to evaluate our current situation, including our financial resources.”
Elwin and Iatika have been playing on the FIVB World Tour since 2008, their best result dating back to Shanghai 2012 when they finished 17th at the Grand Slam.
Earlier in the week, both players emphasised how important it was that they had the opportunity to make their debut at the FIVB World Championships.
“I have been training hard for the last few years and we have improved so much along the way. It’s been very difficult to leave our children and families behind to chase our dream, but now we get a chance to represent them to the best of our ability,” Elwin said.
Like other athletes, the Vanuatu women had to give up a lot to reach the top.
“I have sacrificed my life at home to become the best I can be,” Iatika said. “I have two kids who stay on the island while I am away training and competing because I want to take part. I want to make my family and country proud of me and I want to show all the young people in Vanuatu what is possible if you try hard.”
Being the first women’s team from the South Pacific to go all the way to the World Championships is a huge deal for them. Elwin: “My dad encouraged me to start playing so I would be the first person in my family to ever go on a big aeroplane. Now I hope that the people at home can follow our lead and more women and junior players will start to take part in proper sports training and try their every best. I also hope that some people back home can see at least one of our games.”
Elwin, 25, and Iatika, 28, claimed their ticket to Poland after beating Australia in the finals of the Oceania Championships in Tahiti last year.
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Tournament Page
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Women's Schedule
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Men's Schedule
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Women's Entry List
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Men's Entry List
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro wins battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcomes Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers