World League - FIVB increases spectator experience with new Challenge System
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 5, 2013 – Volleyball fans in Wroclaw and around the world will have the ground breaking experience of the FIVB’s new innovative Challenge System on Sunday which will be used for the first time at the World League match between Poland and USA.
The Poland v USA will be streamed live on FIVB Web TV in addition to the Match of the Week, which features Serbia against Italy on Saturday at 18:00 GMT. |
The FIVB Challenge System will now use television replays to verify any challenged points, which will be shown in the arena as well on the live streaming coverage as and when the second referee reviews a challenge.
The Poland v USA will be streamed live on FIVB Web TV in addition to the Match of the Week, which features Serbia against Italy on Saturday at 18:00 GMT.
Up until this weekend, the FIVB had trialled a review system where the second referee would review any challenge on a screen next to the court. Now all persons in the stadium and watching on television can see for themselves the review process before the official decision is made.
A reminder of the Challenge System process:
1) Video verification can be called upon team’s game captain request, however before the game has been resumed and directly after the rally which is a matter of doubt.
2) Both teams have the right to call video verification for referees’ decision twice per set. If the result of video verification leads to decision change in favour of requesting team, it does not decrease the number for video verification calls available for this team in this set. On the other hand, if decision of referees was correct, it means that the number of video verification calls for this team in this set decreased by one.
3) First referee himself has the right to ask for video verification in case he is in two minds and his call will finish the set / match.
4) Subject for video verification can be the following situations only:
a. all position where touching the floor (ball IN or ball OUT);
b. ball contact with antennae (particularly the order: after the attack hit or from the block);
c. faulty antennae or net contact by a player;
d. contact of player’s feet with end line (when executing service), attack line (when back row player executed attack hit) and under net penetration into the opponent’s court (center line);
e. Libero player’s feet position while playing the ball overhand finger pass if directly after an attack hit has completed while the ball was entirely higher than the top of the net.
f. Only the game captain can address his requests for video verification to 1st referee (not later than five seconds after the rally has been finished). If the request will be judged by 1st referee as not consistent with point 4, the request will be rejected and the requesting team sanctioned for game delay. In case of a correct request the 1st referee will initiate video verification procedure whistling and pointing both hands towards scorer’s table. All acting players remain on the court for the time needed to assess video.
5) Second referee analyses the video replay on a screen next to the court. A replay will be available fopr onsite spectator and the television audience.
6) Second referee after verification based on video replay informs by hand signals the 1st referee who is responsible for final decision.
7) In case no action’s evaluation based on video replay can be done, decision of the 1st referee remains in force and the team jeep the challenge.
2013 World League Tournament page Twitter: @FIVB Volleyball, @FIVBWorIdLeague
2013 World League Live Scorebox
2013 World League Schedule
FIVB World Rankings
Facebook: FIVB -
International Volleyball Federation
YouTube: FIVB Video
For more info contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Watch: Highlights of 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Draw
- Legendary coach Karpol visits FIVB
- Germany ready to battle for ticket to 2014 World Champs
- And the countdown begins to the Durban Open
- Ghana, Nigeria in final phase of Women's World Championship qualification
- Record 28 teams for 2014 World Grand Prix
- Celebrating Czech Republic's 'Mini volleyball in colours'
- Mini volleyball fever takes hold of Palestine
- World League expands to 28 countries
- VIS seminar concludes in Trinidad and Tobago
- Rwanda, Kenya join Egypt to World Champs final qualification phase
- World Tour Council meets in Lausanne
- Egypt claim gold at World Champs zone 5 qualifier
- Talita and Lima confirmed as women’s rankings champs
- Alison and Emanuel announce split
- 5 teams share immaculate record after CEV Champions League third round comes to a close
- Egypt continue with another win as Rwanda edge Kenya in World Champs qualifier
- Jamaicans Hutchinson, Bryan book China ticket in style
- Trinidadian girls Ward, Davidson seal Youth Olympic spot
- Fruitful meeting for Beach Volleyball Commission
- Yet another successful year for Brazil's VivaVolei festival
- Beach Volleyball tour starts in Sierra Leone
- Impressive 56-54 set score at Korean V-League match
- Jamaica, Barbados surprise top teams for China chance
- Watch: The best of 2013 FIVB World Tour now online
- Egypt lead with second victory as Uganda register first win in World Champs qualifier
- Russian dominance ends as Brazil back at number one
- Level II coaches course gets underway in Mauritius
- One step forward for beach volleyball in Indonesia
- Egypt struggle past Kenya as Rwanda ease past Burundi in World Champs qualifier
- FIVB flourishes on Chinese social media
- Zorzi evaluates World Grand Champions Cup performances
- Volleyball workshop boosts sport in Palestine
- Media accreditation reminder for Durban Open
- Trinidad & Tobago host successful setter seminar
- Brazil win fourth World Grand Champions Cup title, Russia and Italy settle for silver and bronze
- Brazil, Russia, Italy all have a shot at Grand Champions Cup gold before last round
- With third straight victory Brazil cement their leadership at Men’s Grand Champions Cup
- Fans flock to FIVB's YouTube following historic Thailand win
- Coaches look forward to another three days of world-class volleyball
- Natalie Cook: "I'm looking forward to 2014 and beyond"
- Andrea Zorzi: 'Size and height aren’t Japan’s only problem'
- Afghanistan gives beach volleyball a jump-start
- Brazil only team with two victories as Grand Champions Cup moves to Tokyo
- Team Japan’s improvement will take time says former volleyball star Motoko Obayashi
- Iran captain says mentality has changed dramatically under Velasco’s leadership
- Andrea Zorzi reviews World Grand Champions Cup opening day
- FIVB and Rio 2016 collaborate to ensure spectacular Olympic Games
- Italy, Brazil, USA all start Men’s Grand Champions Cup on a high note
- Japan coach Manabe draws the line after winning World Grand Champions Cup bronze