World League - FIVB increases spectator experience with new Challenge System
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 5, 2013 – Volleyball fans in Wroclaw and around the world will have the ground breaking experience of the FIVB’s new innovative Challenge System on Sunday which will be used for the first time at the World League match between Poland and USA.
The Poland v USA will be streamed live on FIVB Web TV in addition to the Match of the Week, which features Serbia against Italy on Saturday at 18:00 GMT. |
The FIVB Challenge System will now use television replays to verify any challenged points, which will be shown in the arena as well on the live streaming coverage as and when the second referee reviews a challenge.
The Poland v USA will be streamed live on FIVB Web TV in addition to the Match of the Week, which features Serbia against Italy on Saturday at 18:00 GMT.
Up until this weekend, the FIVB had trialled a review system where the second referee would review any challenge on a screen next to the court. Now all persons in the stadium and watching on television can see for themselves the review process before the official decision is made.
A reminder of the Challenge System process:
1) Video verification can be called upon team’s game captain request, however before the game has been resumed and directly after the rally which is a matter of doubt.
2) Both teams have the right to call video verification for referees’ decision twice per set. If the result of video verification leads to decision change in favour of requesting team, it does not decrease the number for video verification calls available for this team in this set. On the other hand, if decision of referees was correct, it means that the number of video verification calls for this team in this set decreased by one.
3) First referee himself has the right to ask for video verification in case he is in two minds and his call will finish the set / match.
4) Subject for video verification can be the following situations only:
a. all position where touching the floor (ball IN or ball OUT);
b. ball contact with antennae (particularly the order: after the attack hit or from the block);
c. faulty antennae or net contact by a player;
d. contact of player’s feet with end line (when executing service), attack line (when back row player executed attack hit) and under net penetration into the opponent’s court (center line);
e. Libero player’s feet position while playing the ball overhand finger pass if directly after an attack hit has completed while the ball was entirely higher than the top of the net.
f. Only the game captain can address his requests for video verification to 1st referee (not later than five seconds after the rally has been finished). If the request will be judged by 1st referee as not consistent with point 4, the request will be rejected and the requesting team sanctioned for game delay. In case of a correct request the 1st referee will initiate video verification procedure whistling and pointing both hands towards scorer’s table. All acting players remain on the court for the time needed to assess video.
5) Second referee analyses the video replay on a screen next to the court. A replay will be available fopr onsite spectator and the television audience.
6) Second referee after verification based on video replay informs by hand signals the 1st referee who is responsible for final decision.
7) In case no action’s evaluation based on video replay can be done, decision of the 1st referee remains in force and the team jeep the challenge.
2013 World League Tournament page Twitter: @FIVB Volleyball, @FIVBWorIdLeague
2013 World League Live Scorebox
2013 World League Schedule
FIVB World Rankings
Facebook: FIVB -
International Volleyball Federation
YouTube: FIVB Video
For more info contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 35th FIVB Congress to open in period of unprecedented growth for volleyball
- Eczacibasi celebrate golden anniversary ahead of Club Worlds
- Official FIVB World Congress website now open
- Buenos Aires to welcome Volleyball Your Way festival
- Preparations in full swing at PSL Manila
- Galaxy of Olympic stars in 2016-17 Brazil Superleagues
- Brilliant Barbara, Fabulous Fernanda newest Brazilian beach duo
- Iran, China to clash in final of Men's AVC Cup
- Olympic champs Ludwig and Walkenhorst aiming for new heights
- Iran, Japan, China, Chinese Taipei reach AVC Cup semifinals
- 2017 World League Finals bidding process launched
- Angela Leyva in rising orbit ahead of 2017 World Grand Prix Group 2
- Ricardo and Andre win Brazil Tour opener
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada