FIVB Women’s World Championship 2014 Asia final round qualification team confirmed
Taipei, Chinese Taipei, June 28, 2013 – Chinese Taipei beat Hong Kong in straight sets 25-15, 25-20, 25-10 in the Eastern Zone qualification match on Friday to secure the last berth in the final round of the FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship 2014 Asian Zone Qualification Tournament.
Chinese Taipei Chen Wan-Ting spikes for a straight set win over Hong Kong|
With the qualification of Chinese Taipei, the 10 teams in the final round are decided. Teams ranked 1-5 in the FIVB world ranking - Japan, China, Thailand, South Korea and Kazakhstan - automatically qualified for the final round.
Australia and New Zealand also qualified automatically since no other team registered in their Oceania Zone, while Vietnam, India and Chinese Taipei topped the South Eastern, Central and Eastern Zone tournaments respectively to join them.
The final round will be held in Japan and China in September with five teams each in Pool A and Pool B. The top two teams from each pool will book their berths in the 2014 FIVB World Women’s Volleyball Championship in Italy.
Chinese Taipei and Hong Kong were the only two teams contesting the AVC Eastern Zone Women’s Qualification Tournament, from which only the winning team would make it to the 10-team final round. DPR Korea, which sent their entry, did not arrive.
Chinese Taipei, ranked 28th in the world, were hot favourites but Hong Kong, ranked 112th were very energetic and active on the court and took advantage of serving and receiving errors by Chinese Taipei, levelling the scores several times until the middle of the first set. Chinese Taipei’s Chen Wan-Ting then picked up her game and her powerful spiking penetrated Hong Kong’s defence to lead the hosts home in the first set 25-15.
Going down one set, Hong Kong regrouped and hit back with S.N Tsang and P.S Lee unleashing spectacular cross-court spikes, leading all the way to the second technical timeout. Though similar in size, Chinese Taipei played more confidently and gradually pulled back. Wang Ai-Shih, a tall middle blocker, was particularly effective, helping Chinese Taipei to rally back and take the second set 25-20.
The third set turned out to become a one-sided affair. Hong Kong tried hard to fight back but their attackers were just not strong and powerful enough to put the ball away. Chinese Taipei wrapped up the set 25-10.
- Agatha and Barbara top rankings after Netherlands heroics
- Brazil dominates podium in The Hague
- FIVB World Tour resumes in Switzerland at Swatch FIVB Gstaad Major
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update following
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships the Netherlands 2015
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday
- Amiable Apeldoorn absolutely awesome area for elimination rounds