Russian Karikov lauds his talented players
Tijuana, Mexico, June 26, 2013 – Alexander Karikov did not sound like he was trying to intimidate anybody but the coach of European Champions Russia took time to send a warning message to the opposition they will be facing at the FIVB Boys’ U19 World Championship.
Alexander Karikov (right) is confident about the talented squad he is bringing to Tijuana and Mexicali for the FIVB Boys' World Championship|
The event, for the first time with the participation of 20 teams representing the five continents, kicks off on Thursday in the cities of Tijuana and Mexicali, Mexico.
While praising the overall talent of the team he will be handling during the competition, Karikov high-touted the athletic ability of star players like Victor Poletaev and Pavel Pankov, both whom he considers the best players in Europe at this age-group category.
“Poletaev was the Most Valuable Player of the last European Boys Championship when Russia won the title for the fifth time,” Karikov said. “He is a terrific player with great leap and heavy attack and to me he is the best in Europe among players of his age.”
The 1.97m Poletaev, who turns 18 next month, scored a match-high 25 points to lead the Russian victory over Poland at the title match in four sets.
Karikov remarked that his squad is young but the players have had the experience of competing against a very strong opposition during the European tournament.
“I collected my players seven months ago and have been practicing very hard, first for the European Championship and then for this event,” he said.
“I don’t want to talk about goals but of the quality of my team and the experience we have gone through,” he added. “Besides Poletaev, I also have the best server in Europe in my number 11 player, (Pavel) Pankov”.
Russia is competing in Pool C of the 20-team tournament along with Asian Champions Iran, Finland, France and Rwanda. In the history of the event, they have twice won the gold in 1999 in Saudi Arabia and 2005 in Algeria.
- Social Timeline: World League Finals leads to USA gold
- Women’s Club World Championship agreement with Eventcourt confirmed until 2019
- Mexico win final ticket to Italy
- Switzerland finds gold in Mexico at Men’s FIVB U17 World Championships
- USA beats USA for Women’s gold medal at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Puerto Rico complete the teams qualified to Poland
- Talking Stats: USA join World League’s multiple gold medal club; Italy win back-to-back bronze
- USA upset Brazil to claim second World League title
- Switzerland, Spain going for Men’s gold at FIVB U17 World Championships
- USA vs. USA for Women’s gold at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Fijalek & Prudel Net Poland’s First FIVB World Tour Gold Medal
- Emanuel & Salgado win All-Brazilian Bronze Medal Affair
- Brazilians Fernanda & Lima Top Transavia Grand Slam Podium
- Antonelli & Juliana Capture Transavia Grand Slam Bronze Medal
- Stats Preview: Brazil, USA set for first-ever meeting in World League final; Italy eye fourth bronze medal
- Europe vs. Americas for The Hague Beach Volleyball Gold Medals
- Men’s final four determined Saturday at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Women’s quarterfinal winners at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Talking Stats: USA reach third World League final; Brazil get chance to add more silverware
- Brazil and USA book World League final date
- Poland Seeks First FIVB World Tour Gold Medal
- Men’s quarterfinals at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Holtwick & Semmler Seek Validation
- Round of 16 to women’s quarters at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Volleyball commits to engaging with emerging markets
- Three-set matches highlight Transavia Grand Slam men’s quarterfinals
- Volleyball is thrilling a nation, say Italian papers
- From Qualifier to “Final 4” for Brazilians Fernanda & Lima at Transavia Grand Slam
- Stats preview: Iran take first ever meeting with USA; Brazil aim to continue semifinal winning streak
- The Netherlands warms up for an innovative 2015 World Championships
- "Moving Day" Matches Spice Saturday’s Transavia Grand Slam Schedule
- Women moving to Saturday quarterfinals at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Men in closing elimination rounds at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Talking Stats: Iran guarantee top four finish for the first time; Italy keep clean win-record
- Italian Prime Minister joins President Graca at World League Finals
- Italy v Brazil, USA v Iran in World League Semifinals
- We can be champions, says Amir Ghafour
- Americans Doherty & Lucena Tandems Earn Transavia Grand Slam Break-through
- Brazilian Women Continue Strong Transavia Grand Slam Showing
- Women’s pool winners decided Friday at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Unexpected Tandems Earn Transavia Grand Slam Second Round Berths
- FIVB Volleyball World League 2015 formula confirmed
- FIVB World Tour pays respect to Malaysia Airlines crash victims
- Iran stand a good chance of qualifying, says Andrea Zorzi
- Brazilian Women Dominating Transavia Grand Slam
- Talking stats: Iran and Australia in critical, must-win matches to make World League semifinals cut
- Women’s pools, eliminations Friday at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Neslihan Demir: Leader, iron lady, flag carrier and mother
- Men move masterfully to eliminations at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Elimination Rounds Highlight Friday’s Transavia Grand Slam Schedule