Russian Karikov lauds his talented players
Tijuana, Mexico, June 26, 2013 – Alexander Karikov did not sound like he was trying to intimidate anybody but the coach of European Champions Russia took time to send a warning message to the opposition they will be facing at the FIVB Boys’ U19 World Championship.
Alexander Karikov (right) is confident about the talented squad he is bringing to Tijuana and Mexicali for the FIVB Boys' World Championship|
The event, for the first time with the participation of 20 teams representing the five continents, kicks off on Thursday in the cities of Tijuana and Mexicali, Mexico.
While praising the overall talent of the team he will be handling during the competition, Karikov high-touted the athletic ability of star players like Victor Poletaev and Pavel Pankov, both whom he considers the best players in Europe at this age-group category.
“Poletaev was the Most Valuable Player of the last European Boys Championship when Russia won the title for the fifth time,” Karikov said. “He is a terrific player with great leap and heavy attack and to me he is the best in Europe among players of his age.”
The 1.97m Poletaev, who turns 18 next month, scored a match-high 25 points to lead the Russian victory over Poland at the title match in four sets.
Karikov remarked that his squad is young but the players have had the experience of competing against a very strong opposition during the European tournament.
“I collected my players seven months ago and have been practicing very hard, first for the European Championship and then for this event,” he said.
“I don’t want to talk about goals but of the quality of my team and the experience we have gone through,” he added. “Besides Poletaev, I also have the best server in Europe in my number 11 player, (Pavel) Pankov”.
Russia is competing in Pool C of the 20-team tournament along with Asian Champions Iran, Finland, France and Rwanda. In the history of the event, they have twice won the gold in 1999 in Saudi Arabia and 2005 in Algeria.
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Puerto Rico hosts NORCECA Final Qualifiers to Nanjing
- Germany’s mentor Vital Heynen shares goals and vision ahead of international season
- Rules of the Game Volleyball Case Book available for download
- Underdogs hope to pull off surprises in Asian Men's Club Championship
- One million dollars in prize money up for grabs at Transavia and Long Beach Grand Slams
- Palestine stages mini-volleyball festival in Bethlehem
- Venezuela and Paraguay take gold in third stage of Youth Olympic Games qualification