Russian Karikov lauds his talented players
Tijuana, Mexico, June 26, 2013 – Alexander Karikov did not sound like he was trying to intimidate anybody but the coach of European Champions Russia took time to send a warning message to the opposition they will be facing at the FIVB Boys’ U19 World Championship.
Alexander Karikov (right) is confident about the talented squad he is bringing to Tijuana and Mexicali for the FIVB Boys' World Championship|
The event, for the first time with the participation of 20 teams representing the five continents, kicks off on Thursday in the cities of Tijuana and Mexicali, Mexico.
While praising the overall talent of the team he will be handling during the competition, Karikov high-touted the athletic ability of star players like Victor Poletaev and Pavel Pankov, both whom he considers the best players in Europe at this age-group category.
“Poletaev was the Most Valuable Player of the last European Boys Championship when Russia won the title for the fifth time,” Karikov said. “He is a terrific player with great leap and heavy attack and to me he is the best in Europe among players of his age.”
The 1.97m Poletaev, who turns 18 next month, scored a match-high 25 points to lead the Russian victory over Poland at the title match in four sets.
Karikov remarked that his squad is young but the players have had the experience of competing against a very strong opposition during the European tournament.
“I collected my players seven months ago and have been practicing very hard, first for the European Championship and then for this event,” he said.
“I don’t want to talk about goals but of the quality of my team and the experience we have gone through,” he added. “Besides Poletaev, I also have the best server in Europe in my number 11 player, (Pavel) Pankov”.
Russia is competing in Pool C of the 20-team tournament along with Asian Champions Iran, Finland, France and Rwanda. In the history of the event, they have twice won the gold in 1999 in Saudi Arabia and 2005 in Algeria.
- Sada Cruzeiro and Minas Tênis Clube to host 2016 edition of Men's Club World Championship
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016