Mozaffari hopes to return Iran to the top
Tijuana, Mexico, June 25, 2013 – Iran’s coach Iraj Mozaffari expects the lightning strikes again the same place when the 2013 FIVB Boys’ U19 World Championship comes to an end on July 7 at the Tijuana’s Multi-Purpose Gymnasium.
Iran's Iraj Mozaffari sounds very optimistic ahead of the start of the Boys' U19 FIVB World Championship in Tijuana and Mexicali, Mexico|
Six years ago, when the world event took place at the same venue, Iran captured its first ever gold medal of the age-group competition under the guidance of Serbia’s Jovica Cevetkovic with a thrilling five-set victory over China.
Now it is time for Mozaffari to repeat history two years after taking charge of the national team and nine month past the Asian title won at home in Tehran also with a five-set triumph over perennial rival China.
“Our target here is to be champions,” proclaimed Mozaffari following the preliminary enquiry of his team with members of the FIVB Control Committee. “Our plan is to make history here again with the support of Iranian residents in the nearby California and also of the Mexican fans.”
Five months ago, Mozaffari took his team for a series of friendly matches in Turkey and his tactics have changed compared to the Asian event, he commented.
“We have changed four players from that champion team and then we played with one libero and now we are using two,” he said.
The Iranian coach expects to see strong teams from Russia, China and Cuba and admitted not knowing too much about Brazil.
“It is going to be a strong competition but that’s not something new to us,” he remarked. “Winning the Asian Championship was not an easy task.”
After winning the 2007 edition of the Boys’ U19, Iran finished suffered a painful five-set defeat to the hands of Serbia in the gold medal match of 2009 at Palazzo del Turismo in Jesolo, Italy.They also won a silver medal in Cairo in 2001 and picked the bronze in 2003 in Thailand.
Following a disappointing 10th place in 2011 when the competition was held in Argentina, Mozaffari hopes to put back Iran on the highest step of the podium.
“We are here to win,” he said flatly.
- Sada Cruzeiro and Minas Tênis Clube to host 2016 edition of Men's Club World Championship
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016