Mozaffari hopes to return Iran to the top
Tijuana, Mexico, June 25, 2013 – Iran’s coach Iraj Mozaffari expects the lightning strikes again the same place when the 2013 FIVB Boys’ U19 World Championship comes to an end on July 7 at the Tijuana’s Multi-Purpose Gymnasium.
Iran's Iraj Mozaffari sounds very optimistic ahead of the start of the Boys' U19 FIVB World Championship in Tijuana and Mexicali, Mexico|
Six years ago, when the world event took place at the same venue, Iran captured its first ever gold medal of the age-group competition under the guidance of Serbia’s Jovica Cevetkovic with a thrilling five-set victory over China.
Now it is time for Mozaffari to repeat history two years after taking charge of the national team and nine month past the Asian title won at home in Tehran also with a five-set triumph over perennial rival China.
“Our target here is to be champions,” proclaimed Mozaffari following the preliminary enquiry of his team with members of the FIVB Control Committee. “Our plan is to make history here again with the support of Iranian residents in the nearby California and also of the Mexican fans.”
Five months ago, Mozaffari took his team for a series of friendly matches in Turkey and his tactics have changed compared to the Asian event, he commented.
“We have changed four players from that champion team and then we played with one libero and now we are using two,” he said.
The Iranian coach expects to see strong teams from Russia, China and Cuba and admitted not knowing too much about Brazil.
“It is going to be a strong competition but that’s not something new to us,” he remarked. “Winning the Asian Championship was not an easy task.”
After winning the 2007 edition of the Boys’ U19, Iran finished suffered a painful five-set defeat to the hands of Serbia in the gold medal match of 2009 at Palazzo del Turismo in Jesolo, Italy.They also won a silver medal in Cairo in 2001 and picked the bronze in 2003 in Thailand.
Following a disappointing 10th place in 2011 when the competition was held in Argentina, Mozaffari hopes to put back Iran on the highest step of the podium.
“We are here to win,” he said flatly.
- Slovakia to make the most of World League experience
- 2014 FIVB World Tour debuts with Fuzhou Open
- Two undefeated teams head into last preliminary match of Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Phil Dalhausser looks to climb back to the top in beach volleyball
- Watch: Drawing of Lots reviews capture excitement of FIVB World Championships
- Fuzhou gets ready for first FIVB beach volleyball event of the year
- Pepe magic helping Paraguay toward Nanjing dream
- Tianjin, Taipei undefeated, Hisamitsu lead Pool A after day 3 of Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Fuzhou Open Q&A: Get to know China's beach volleyball stars
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball Media Guide now available
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina