Poland’s Kociolek and Gruszscynska claim U21 title in Umag
Umag, Croatia, June 23, 2013 – Katarzyna Kociolek and Jagoda Gruszscynska claimed the U21 world title Sunday evening in Umag. The Polish girls beat Germany’s Anika Krebs and Jelena Wlk in two close sets (22-20 23-21) to grab the gold.
Poland's Jagoda Gruszczynska and Katarzyna Kociolek won the U21 world title in Umag|
For Kociolek it was her second Umag gold after she finished first at the U19 World Champions two years ago with Karolina Baran. Kociolek and Gruszczynska beat the Germans for the second time in a final, in 2012 they took the gold in the U20 European Championships against Krebs and Wlk.
Very tight sets
In the Umag final both teams did not give an inch. Germany was determined to come back after a tight loss in the first set and had chances to take the game into a tiebreak at 20-19 and 21-20, but could not finish it. On Poland’s first match point there was confusion in the German reception and the gold went to Kociolek and Gruszscynska.
“I just can’t believe we won this second set”, Kociolek shouted after the last whistle. “I felt so hopeless and made so many mistakes. But it doesn’t matter, we won. I am so glad we finally started to play at the end of the set.”
Eighteen-year old Kociolek and Gruszscynska will travel to Porto in two weeks to compete at the U19 World Championships. Kociolek won silver last year at this youth event with Baran. “I hope we can win another gold over there.”
Austria wins bronze medal
Austria’s Katharina Schützenhofer and Lena Plesiutschnig won the bronze medal after a very convincing 2-0 win (21-15 21-13) win over Paula Soria and Raquel Brun from Spain.
Even though they were very disappointed about losing the semifinal to Poland they would take the bronze any day. “We will take a medal any time”, Schützenhofer said.
It was not easy for them to recharge after the tight and long semifinal. “It was a very difficult match. We slept a bit and after that tried to mobilise our strength. I am glad we made it because our bodies are drained and we are exhausted right now.”
FIVB U21 World Championships Tournament Page
Facebook: FIVB - International Volleyball Federation
YouTube: FIVB Video
- Agatha and Barbara top rankings after Netherlands heroics
- Brazil dominates podium in The Hague
- FIVB World Tour resumes in Switzerland at Swatch FIVB Gstaad Major
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update following
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships the Netherlands 2015
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday
- Amiable Apeldoorn absolutely awesome area for elimination rounds