Two Polish teams in final fours at U21 in Umag
Umag, Croatia, June 22, 2013 – Poland claimed a spot in both the men’s and women’s final four of the U21 World Championships in Umag.
Poland's Maciej Kosiak and Maciej Rudol are one of the semifinalists in Umag|
The semifinals in the women’s competition are all-European with Poland's Kociolek/Gruszscynska taking on Austria's Schützenhofer/Plesiutschnig and Spain's Soria/Brun playing Germany Krebs/Wik.
In the men’s Brazilian qualifiers Guto Carvalhaes/Allison meet Poland's Kosiak/Rudol and Canada O'Gorman/Nusbaum play Russia's Kirienko/Uraikin.
Poland’s Kosiak and Rudol take revenge for friends
With lots of support from friends and family Poland’s Maciej Kosiak and Maciej Rudol were the last ones to reach the semifinals of the U21 World Championships in Umag. In a late evening match they defeated Russia’s Maxim Zhirkov and Ostap Firzov in two sets: 21-16 21-17.
Canada’s O’Gorman and Nusbaum in final four on familiar territory
Two years ago they won bronze at the Youth World Championships in Umag, and this time Canada’s Grant O’Gorman and Aaron Nusbaum are eager to go better. On Saturday they reached the semifinals of the U21 World Championships in Umag after three wins in the elimination rounds.
Poland knocks out reigning U21 world champion to reach semifinals
Poland’s Katarzyna Kociolek and Jagoda Gruszscynska knocked out reigning world champion Nina Betschart and her partner Nicole Eiholzer to reach the final four at the U21 World Championships in Umag. The Swiss team took the game to a tiebreak after losing the first set, but Poland eventually won 21-17 11-21 15-12. More
Hard work finally pays off for Spain’s Soria
Paula Soria Gutierrez and Raquel Brun Forcadell did not have a very good start at the U21 World Champions in Umag. The Spanish pair lost their first two matches in pool play and barely made it to the elimination rounds with one win.
Germany sends Brazil’s silver medallist Eduarda home
Germany’s Anna Behlen and Yanina Weiland eliminated Taina Silva Bigi and Eduarda Santos Lisboa from Brazil in three sets (21-11 19-21 15-13) at the U21 World Championships in Umag on Saturday. Fourteen-year old Eduarda won the silver medal at the U23 World Championships just two weeks ago.
Special intercontinental tournament during U21 in Umag
The FIVB is organizing an intercontinental tournament this weekend in Umag to give newly developing teams already eliminated at the U21 World Championships the opportunity to gain some more playing experience. Eight men’s teams from Africa, North America, South America and Asia will compete in a knockout format.
The semifinals of the 13th edition of the U21 World Championships start on Sunday with the women’s matches at 10.00 and 11.00, followed by the men’s at 12.00 and 13.00. The bronze medal matches are scheduled for 18.00 (women’s) and 19.00 (men’s) and the finals for 20.00 (women’s) and 21.00 (men’s).
FIVB U21 World Championships Tournament Page
Facebook: FIVB - International Volleyball Federation
YouTube: FIVB Video
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Puerto Rico hosts NORCECA Final Qualifiers to Nanjing
- Germany’s mentor Vital Heynen shares goals and vision ahead of international season
- Rules of the Game Volleyball Case Book available for download
- Underdogs hope to pull off surprises in Asian Men's Club Championship
- One million dollars in prize money up for grabs at Transavia and Long Beach Grand Slams
- Palestine stages mini-volleyball festival in Bethlehem
- Venezuela and Paraguay take gold in third stage of Youth Olympic Games qualification
- Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Thailand claim two berths apiece for Nanjing Youth Olympics
- Celebrating the power of sport