Three out of four Croatian teams advance to elimination rounds at U21 World Championships in Umag
Umag, Croatia, June 21, 2013 – On the second day of main draw at the FIVB U21 World Championships in Umag 24 teams per gender emerged from pool play. Three out of four Croatian pairs made it to the elimination rounds, Zrinka Sutalo and Sara Radanovic, Mario Boras and Ivan Zeljkovic and Sandro Venier and Hrvoje Pervan.
Croatian team Sandro Venier and Hrvoje Pervan|
In the men’s competition the African teams did well, Arfaoui Chokri and Korbi Wael from Tunisia and Tin Hlupic and Gerard Fischer made it to the knockout phase.
In the women’s Valeria Valenciano and Angie Montero from Costa Rica will continue their first U21 event on Saturday as will Valeria de los Angeles and Gabriela Brito from Venezuela. Both teams had one win in the pool phase.
The secret of the Croatian beach volleyball success
The Croatian teams are doing really
well on home soil at the FIVB U21 World Championships in Umag. Three out
of four teams advanced to the elimination rounds on Friday, two even as
pool winners. So what is the secret to their success?
Brazilian show pair claim pool win with three out of three
Brazil’s Fabio Rodrigo Castro Bastos and Saymon Barbosa Santos ended on top of their pool at the FIVB U21 World Championships in Umag with three straight wins. Besides their good play, the duo is marking their first appearance at a junior world event with exuberance.
Halfway around the world, three defeats but Trinidad still happy
They flew halfway around the world in four days and ended up with three losses, but 16-years old Chelsi Ward and 17-years old Malika Davidson enjoyed every bit of the FIVB U21 World Championships. They will go home to Trinidad and Tobago with lots of new impressions, more experience and new friendships.
Poland wins battle against Australia over top sport in Pool F
In a thrilling three setter against Australia Poland’s Katarzyna Kociolek and Jagoda Gruszczynska ended up as pool winners at the FIVB U21 World Championships on Friday. The direct battle over top position in pool F against Asian U21 champions Mariafe Artacho and Jessyka Ngauamo took 55 minutes: 15-21 25-23 18-16.
A loss and a birthday present in the end for Namibia’s Hlupic
A loss against Norway was not a nice way to start his 19th birthday, but Namibia’s Tin Hlupic got his present in the end. The son of Croatian parents and his 18-year old partner Gerard Fischer made it to the elimination rounds of the U21 World Championships after all, because Trinidad and Tobago forfeited again.
After three rounds of elimination on Saturday the final four of each gender will be determined. The semifinals and medal matches are scheduled for Sunday. Matches on Saturday start at 10.30 am.
The U21 World Championships are the second junior event after the U23 two weeks ago in Myslowice. In another two weeks Porto is hosting the third age group event, the U19 World Championships.
FIVB U21 World Championships Tournament Page
Facebook: FIVB - International Volleyball Federation
YouTube: FIVB Video
- Brazil remain on top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games