Three out of four Croatian teams advance to elimination rounds at U21 World Championships in Umag
Umag, Croatia, June 21, 2013 – On the second day of main draw at the FIVB U21 World Championships in Umag 24 teams per gender emerged from pool play. Three out of four Croatian pairs made it to the elimination rounds, Zrinka Sutalo and Sara Radanovic, Mario Boras and Ivan Zeljkovic and Sandro Venier and Hrvoje Pervan.
Croatian team Sandro Venier and Hrvoje Pervan|
In the men’s competition the African teams did well, Arfaoui Chokri and Korbi Wael from Tunisia and Tin Hlupic and Gerard Fischer made it to the knockout phase.
In the women’s Valeria Valenciano and Angie Montero from Costa Rica will continue their first U21 event on Saturday as will Valeria de los Angeles and Gabriela Brito from Venezuela. Both teams had one win in the pool phase.
The secret of the Croatian beach volleyball success
The Croatian teams are doing really
well on home soil at the FIVB U21 World Championships in Umag. Three out
of four teams advanced to the elimination rounds on Friday, two even as
pool winners. So what is the secret to their success?
Brazilian show pair claim pool win with three out of three
Brazil’s Fabio Rodrigo Castro Bastos and Saymon Barbosa Santos ended on top of their pool at the FIVB U21 World Championships in Umag with three straight wins. Besides their good play, the duo is marking their first appearance at a junior world event with exuberance.
Halfway around the world, three defeats but Trinidad still happy
They flew halfway around the world in four days and ended up with three losses, but 16-years old Chelsi Ward and 17-years old Malika Davidson enjoyed every bit of the FIVB U21 World Championships. They will go home to Trinidad and Tobago with lots of new impressions, more experience and new friendships.
Poland wins battle against Australia over top sport in Pool F
In a thrilling three setter against Australia Poland’s Katarzyna Kociolek and Jagoda Gruszczynska ended up as pool winners at the FIVB U21 World Championships on Friday. The direct battle over top position in pool F against Asian U21 champions Mariafe Artacho and Jessyka Ngauamo took 55 minutes: 15-21 25-23 18-16.
A loss and a birthday present in the end for Namibia’s Hlupic
A loss against Norway was not a nice way to start his 19th birthday, but Namibia’s Tin Hlupic got his present in the end. The son of Croatian parents and his 18-year old partner Gerard Fischer made it to the elimination rounds of the U21 World Championships after all, because Trinidad and Tobago forfeited again.
After three rounds of elimination on Saturday the final four of each gender will be determined. The semifinals and medal matches are scheduled for Sunday. Matches on Saturday start at 10.30 am.
The U21 World Championships are the second junior event after the U23 two weeks ago in Myslowice. In another two weeks Porto is hosting the third age group event, the U19 World Championships.
FIVB U21 World Championships Tournament Page
Facebook: FIVB - International Volleyball Federation
YouTube: FIVB Video
- Watch: Drawing of Lots reviews capture excitement of FIVB World Championships
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Puerto Rico hosts NORCECA Final Qualifiers to Nanjing
- Germany’s mentor Vital Heynen shares goals and vision ahead of international season
- Rules of the Game Volleyball Case Book available for download
- Underdogs hope to pull off surprises in Asian Men's Club Championship
- One million dollars in prize money up for grabs at Transavia and Long Beach Grand Slams
- Palestine stages mini-volleyball festival in Bethlehem
- Venezuela and Paraguay take gold in third stage of Youth Olympic Games qualification