Santo Domingo is one of five launching pads of 2013 WGP
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, June 20, 2013 – The Dominican Republic National Federation and the host broadcaster Cadena de Noticias officially announced Santo Domingo as one of the five cities to serve off the 2013 FIVB World Grand Prix on August 2-4.
Ramon García, president of DR National Federation, speaks during the press conference held in Santo Domingo to announce the first leg of the FIVB World Grand Prix|
The details of the event to take place at Palacio del Voleibol of the Dominican capital were announced in a press conference held at the premises of CDN, the television station that forms part of Multimedios del Caribe.
Teams of Serbia, Puerto Rico, Czech Republic and Dominican Republic will compete during the first weekend while other sixteen sides will be playing in Ankara (Turkey), Campinas (Brazil), Macao (China) and Montichiari (Italy).
The event was chaired by Ramón A. Garcia, president of the Dominican Federation, Cristobal Marte Hoffiz, FIVB First Executive Vice President and Juan Cohen, general manager of Multimedios del Caribe.
Garcia made reference to the success achieved last year when Santo Domingo hosted for the first time the women’s annual world event and capacity crowds watched the three-day weekend event at the 5,500-seat facility.
“It is with great satisfaction that we announce that once again the Dominican fans will have the opportunity to see in action our best players competing against outstanding international teams,” Garcia said. “It is a major enjoyable sport event and the Dominicans will have this unique opportunity.”
Marte Hoffiz highlighted the fact that Dominican Republic has been qualifying to the Grand Prix for ten consecutive years which speaks itself about the level of quality reached by the senior national team.
“This achievement goes long beyond the work in the office,” he said. “It is a tribute to the hard work of the players and the technical staff.”
Cohen, meanwhile, said to be proud about CDN being selected for second year as the host broadcaster of such quality competition, considered the premier world annual event of women’s volleyball.
During the press conference, the Dominican Team, led by its coach Marcos Kwiek, was introduced while the captain Bethania De la Cruz pronounced a few words.
Also present at the activity was former player Milagros Cabral, who is taking charge of the duties as the team manager.
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 - LIVE - Day 5
- Baran/Gruszczynska relish World Championships chance
- Apeldoorn adores women’s round-robin pool play final day Tuesday
- Serbian fans show their support
- Brazilian & Spanish Women Net The Hague Pool Titles
- President Graça: "We are spreading volleyball around the world"
- Late dash pays dividends for Mayer
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Fernanda’s “Special” Beach Volleyball Moment
- FIVB welcomes IOC President Thomas Bach
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championship 2015 Day 4 - As It Happened
- Adoring Apeldoorn audiences always agreeing with spectacular play
- Parental support still vital at World Champs
- Sude and Laboureur upset seedings in Amsterdam to top pool
- Ageless Hyden & Youthful Bourne Post American Success in The Hague
- Candelas/Rios impressed by Mexican support
- Stoyanovskiy and Yarzutkin enjoying first World Champs
- Olympic qualification adds extra buzz to World Champs
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win against Italy, Poland win in Tehran on day 22
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 3
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 As It Happened - Day 3
- Amiable Apeldoorn audiences amazingly attentive again on Sunday
- Alfaro/Cope bring Costa Rica to FIVB World Champs
- Wildcard winners Vismans and Keemink overwhelmed after opening match
- Russian derby sets Ukolova and Birlova on way
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Ghana pair toast of Amsterdam after facing down legends
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- VIDEO: President Graça shows how to #VolleyballYourWay
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 2
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day 2 - As It Happened
- Cubans Post Opening FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championship Win
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Tranquil Apeldoorn turns heat on for Saturday’s opening day action
- Beach volleyball world record set in The Hague
- Comfortable start for big names in Amsterdam
- Schuil already enjoying ‘perfect atmosphere’
- Spanish pair find confidence soaring after breakthrough gold
- Leading ladies pushed hard in opener
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 1
- World Championships gets royal seal of approval
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Dutch Net Two Opening FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championship wins
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Congratulations to you, the players - President Graça