Santo Domingo is one of five launching pads of 2013 WGP
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, June 20, 2013 – The Dominican Republic National Federation and the host broadcaster Cadena de Noticias officially announced Santo Domingo as one of the five cities to serve off the 2013 FIVB World Grand Prix on August 2-4.
Ramon García, president of DR National Federation, speaks during the press conference held in Santo Domingo to announce the first leg of the FIVB World Grand Prix|
The details of the event to take place at Palacio del Voleibol of the Dominican capital were announced in a press conference held at the premises of CDN, the television station that forms part of Multimedios del Caribe.
Teams of Serbia, Puerto Rico, Czech Republic and Dominican Republic will compete during the first weekend while other sixteen sides will be playing in Ankara (Turkey), Campinas (Brazil), Macao (China) and Montichiari (Italy).
The event was chaired by Ramón A. Garcia, president of the Dominican Federation, Cristobal Marte Hoffiz, FIVB First Executive Vice President and Juan Cohen, general manager of Multimedios del Caribe.
Garcia made reference to the success achieved last year when Santo Domingo hosted for the first time the women’s annual world event and capacity crowds watched the three-day weekend event at the 5,500-seat facility.
“It is with great satisfaction that we announce that once again the Dominican fans will have the opportunity to see in action our best players competing against outstanding international teams,” Garcia said. “It is a major enjoyable sport event and the Dominicans will have this unique opportunity.”
Marte Hoffiz highlighted the fact that Dominican Republic has been qualifying to the Grand Prix for ten consecutive years which speaks itself about the level of quality reached by the senior national team.
“This achievement goes long beyond the work in the office,” he said. “It is a tribute to the hard work of the players and the technical staff.”
Cohen, meanwhile, said to be proud about CDN being selected for second year as the host broadcaster of such quality competition, considered the premier world annual event of women’s volleyball.
During the press conference, the Dominican Team, led by its coach Marcos Kwiek, was introduced while the captain Bethania De la Cruz pronounced a few words.
Also present at the activity was former player Milagros Cabral, who is taking charge of the duties as the team manager.
- A number of World Tour firsts
- Historic year for wonderful World Tour
- Partnerships behind World Tour's improved popularity
- Bruno & Alison overcome “sluggish” start to become top team
- Argentina chase Olympic dream in Venezuela
- Eight teams earn women’s main draw spots at FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- Top men’s seeds win two pool play matches at FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- Beach Volleyball - Family Sport Entertainment
- Beach volleyball’s success based on hard work
- Golden era for beach volleyball
- FIVB World Continental Cup Olympic Qualification tournament to take place in Russia
- Martinez chosen for 2020 PlayTrue Torch Relay Project
- World Tour Finals in Fort Lauderdale: Saving the best for last
- Eight teams earn men’s main draw spots at FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- The ABCs of Beach Volleyball - Agatha, Barbara and Consistency
- Challenges Create Court Confidence
- Brazilian women capture 19th gold in South American Championship
- Australia's Bawden and Clancy defend Asian title
- The Fan Zone - SWATCH Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 6
- FIVB World Tour 2016 starts in Mexico with FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals
- Brazilian Beach Clinic
- Brazil record 30th title win in Men's South American Championship
- Talita & Larissa net gold medal & “richest” prize
- Russian claim back-to-back European titles to cement status as Europe's Volleyball Queens
- Evandro & Pedro rebound for bronze medal finish
- Track stars become Beach Volleyball fans
- Brazilian world champions net SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals bronze medal
- FIVB President Graça launches '9 goals' strategic plan
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 5
- Fort Lauderdale - Another key part of the beach volleyball success story
- Russia and the Netherlands to clash for European crown
- Beach Volleyball Impressions - 1981 from southern California to now in south Florida
- USA win third consecutive NORCECA title
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 4
- Brazil, Germany and USA pairs net Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals bracket berths
- USA face Dominican Republic in NORCECA Women’s Championship final
- Women’s EuroVolley semis are set; Russia play Serbia, Oranjes take on Turkey
- Brazilian world champions featured Wednesday
- Beach Volleyball rivalry blasts sky high
- Lost in America
- Italy, Poland, Belgium and Germany complete line-up for women’s EuroVolley quarterfinals
- “Wild Card” Tuesday at SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- 2017 Beach Volleyball World Championships bidding process extended
- SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals - Revised Side Court Schedule
- A mum who sides out
- Congress preparations in full swing as President Graça visits FeVA
- Netherlands, Russia, Serbia and Turkey progress to women's EuroVolley quarterfinals
- $500,000 Swatch FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Finals
this week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
- Brazilian city of Maceio host South American tournament calendar highlight