Santo Domingo is one of five launching pads of 2013 WGP
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, June 20, 2013 – The Dominican Republic National Federation and the host broadcaster Cadena de Noticias officially announced Santo Domingo as one of the five cities to serve off the 2013 FIVB World Grand Prix on August 2-4.
Ramon García, president of DR National Federation, speaks during the press conference held in Santo Domingo to announce the first leg of the FIVB World Grand Prix|
The details of the event to take place at Palacio del Voleibol of the Dominican capital were announced in a press conference held at the premises of CDN, the television station that forms part of Multimedios del Caribe.
Teams of Serbia, Puerto Rico, Czech Republic and Dominican Republic will compete during the first weekend while other sixteen sides will be playing in Ankara (Turkey), Campinas (Brazil), Macao (China) and Montichiari (Italy).
The event was chaired by Ramón A. Garcia, president of the Dominican Federation, Cristobal Marte Hoffiz, FIVB First Executive Vice President and Juan Cohen, general manager of Multimedios del Caribe.
Garcia made reference to the success achieved last year when Santo Domingo hosted for the first time the women’s annual world event and capacity crowds watched the three-day weekend event at the 5,500-seat facility.
“It is with great satisfaction that we announce that once again the Dominican fans will have the opportunity to see in action our best players competing against outstanding international teams,” Garcia said. “It is a major enjoyable sport event and the Dominicans will have this unique opportunity.”
Marte Hoffiz highlighted the fact that Dominican Republic has been qualifying to the Grand Prix for ten consecutive years which speaks itself about the level of quality reached by the senior national team.
“This achievement goes long beyond the work in the office,” he said. “It is a tribute to the hard work of the players and the technical staff.”
Cohen, meanwhile, said to be proud about CDN being selected for second year as the host broadcaster of such quality competition, considered the premier world annual event of women’s volleyball.
During the press conference, the Dominican Team, led by its coach Marcos Kwiek, was introduced while the captain Bethania De la Cruz pronounced a few words.
Also present at the activity was former player Milagros Cabral, who is taking charge of the duties as the team manager.
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review