Santo Domingo is one of five launching pads of 2013 WGP
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, June 20, 2013 – The Dominican Republic National Federation and the host broadcaster Cadena de Noticias officially announced Santo Domingo as one of the five cities to serve off the 2013 FIVB World Grand Prix on August 2-4.
Ramon García, president of DR National Federation, speaks during the press conference held in Santo Domingo to announce the first leg of the FIVB World Grand Prix|
The details of the event to take place at Palacio del Voleibol of the Dominican capital were announced in a press conference held at the premises of CDN, the television station that forms part of Multimedios del Caribe.
Teams of Serbia, Puerto Rico, Czech Republic and Dominican Republic will compete during the first weekend while other sixteen sides will be playing in Ankara (Turkey), Campinas (Brazil), Macao (China) and Montichiari (Italy).
The event was chaired by Ramón A. Garcia, president of the Dominican Federation, Cristobal Marte Hoffiz, FIVB First Executive Vice President and Juan Cohen, general manager of Multimedios del Caribe.
Garcia made reference to the success achieved last year when Santo Domingo hosted for the first time the women’s annual world event and capacity crowds watched the three-day weekend event at the 5,500-seat facility.
“It is with great satisfaction that we announce that once again the Dominican fans will have the opportunity to see in action our best players competing against outstanding international teams,” Garcia said. “It is a major enjoyable sport event and the Dominicans will have this unique opportunity.”
Marte Hoffiz highlighted the fact that Dominican Republic has been qualifying to the Grand Prix for ten consecutive years which speaks itself about the level of quality reached by the senior national team.
“This achievement goes long beyond the work in the office,” he said. “It is a tribute to the hard work of the players and the technical staff.”
Cohen, meanwhile, said to be proud about CDN being selected for second year as the host broadcaster of such quality competition, considered the premier world annual event of women’s volleyball.
During the press conference, the Dominican Team, led by its coach Marcos Kwiek, was introduced while the captain Bethania De la Cruz pronounced a few words.
Also present at the activity was former player Milagros Cabral, who is taking charge of the duties as the team manager.
- Kantor and Losiak use home comforts to continue rapid development
- LIVE - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 5
- Walsh keeping Olympic dream alive in Olsztyn
- Russia top World Cup first round rankings
- Nine clubs to compete for Asian title
- Cheeky Swiss pair upsets Pedro & Evandro
- Russia, Cuba, Italy and Turkey secure top 8 spots at Men's U23
- Canadians hit stride early in Olsztyn
- Austrians and Aussies progress in Olsztyn
- Van Gestel and van der Vlist hit form after injury break
- Top favourites succeed in Day 4 of World Cup
- President Graça commends Fuji TV’s excellent World Cup coverage
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 4
- Bawden and Clancy dare to dream of Copacabana Beach
- Poland celebrates first U19 World Championship title
- Finding a foothold
- Russia win clash of Titans at Men's U23 World Championship
- President Graça welcomes new JVA management to volleyball family
- Lima and Fernanda survive qualification to reach Olsztyn main draw
- New partner, new options for Marketa Slukova
- SoCal sojourn inspires Squeo
- Rankings, rankings and rankings
- Brazil’s next big thing!
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 3
- Favourites start victorious at Men's U23 World Championship
- VOTE: Will Russia get their reward?
- Russia stand as lone unbeaten team on Day 3 of World Cup
- Follow the Men's U23 World Championship in the United Arab Emirates
- World champs lead the way in Olsztyn
- FIVB World Tour heading to Poland for FIVB Olsztyn Grand Slam
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update following FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal, USA
- Keeping it simple for world champions!
- Alison & Bruno continue winning ways on FIVB World Tour
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 2
- Talita & Larissa SoCal Golden Girls
- Coaches name Brazil, Russia and Italy as Men's U23 favourites
- China and Russia score back-to-back wins on Day 2 of World Cup
- Austrians' magical sand
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 1
- Russia, Cuba, USA, China, Peru and Japan seal victories in World Cup opener
- Taichung Bank capture maiden Asian Men’s Club title
- The future is bright for Women's U23 champions Brazil
- Teams in Tokyo all set for World Cup opening day
- VOTE: Top of the class?
- Rising star Souza takes Brazil forward
- Walking in illustrious footsteps
- Taichung Bank and Al Arabi ready for Asian Men’s Club Championship final
- Moim expects Kenya to surprise
- Defending ASICS World Series of Beach Volleyball champions net pool title
- The telephone call!