Pool play into final phase at the U21 World Championships
Umag, Croatia, June 20, 2013 – After two rounds of pool play on the first day of main draw the women’s competition at the FIVB U21 World Champions in Umag is taking shape.
Poland's Katarzyna Kociolek and Jagoda Gruszczynska go head to head with Australia to decide top position in pool F|
Reigning junior world champion Nina Betschart and her partner Nicole Eiholzer made no mistakes with two straight wins, but youth world champions Ieva Dumbauskaite and Monika Povilaityte lost in three sets to USA’s Laura Dykstra and Rebecca Strehlow.
In the men’s competition the odds are still open after only one round of pool play.
Reigning U21 world champion Betschart just wants to play
Reigning U21 world champion Nina Betschart and her partner Nicole Eiholzer just want to play their best at the FIVB U21 World Championships in Umag. Betschart can set a new record in Croatia becoming the first player to win three U21 titles in a row, but for the 17-year old this is not her main focus. More
Costa Rican team is soaking in beach volleyball
Costa Rican Valeria Valenciano and Angie Montero came to Umag to watch, learn and experience. The Central American girls are soaking in beach volleyball at the FIVB U21 World Championships.
Late arrival costs St. Lucia the match
A last minute arrival and lack of sleep cost St. Lucia their first match at the U21 World Championships in Umag. Agustin Faulkner and Coen Caesar were no match for Edvarts Buivids and Pekmanis Reinis, in just 24 minutes they lost 21-4 21-13 to the Latvians.
Benham and Kambiz want to make Iran proud
Behnam Tavakoli and Kalteh Kambiz have one major goal this week at the FIVB U21 World Championships in Umag: they are determined to make Iran proud.
On Friday the men will play two rounds and the women one to finish pool play. The pool winners advance straight to the second elimination round. The numbers two and three meet in the first knockout round.
Matches at the Stella Maris Sports Complex start at 10 am on Friday, the last match of the day is scheduled for 10.30 pm.
An interesting match to watch will be the clash between Asian champions Mariafe Artacho and Jessyka Ngauamo from Australia and the 2011 youth world champion Katarzyna Kociolek and her partner Jagoda Gruszczynska from Poland. Both teams had two straight wins on Thursday and at 1.20 pm they will go head to head to decide who takes first place.
FIVB U21 World Championships Tournament Page
Facebook: FIVB - International Volleyball Federation
YouTube: FIVB Video
- Brazil, Russia get big opening wins in World Grand Prix
- FIVB U19 World Championships in Porto move into knockout phase
- USA’s DeFalco/Richard bounce back to move into second round in Porto
- 16 Men’s teams still standing Friday at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Puerto Rico and Paraguay girls into last 16 at the U19 World Championships
- Women’s final four ready for Saturday’s finale at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Venezuela tops the pool with swinging beach volleyball at the U19
- Caps, cake and first place for the McNamara twins
- Early pool winners at the FIVB U19 World Championships
- Big game ahead for France and Argentina in pool C
- Brazil’s Arthur and George Wanderley love the art of beach volleyball
- Women’s field set for round of 16, quarterfinals at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Men’s pool play nets 12 undefeated teams at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Early birthday present for Brazil’s Eduarda at the U19 in Porto
- World Grand Prix 'Match of the week' programme focuses on Turkey-Russia
- 1990: Last World Championship title for the Soviet Union and first for Italy
- Gamova changes her mind, joins Russian national team for World Championship
- José Jardim, a promising player on and off the sand
- Top teams on track on the opening day of the U19 World Championships
- Perfect start for German and Russian girls at the U19 in Porto
- Venezuela takes early pool lead at the U19 World Championships
- Eleven unbeaten teams in women’s main draw at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Eight teams earn men’s main draw spots at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Lucky losers from Lithuania happy with second chance at the U19 in Porto
- Statistical preview: Brazil begin quest for tenth World Grand Prix title
- FIVB Men's World Championship draws near
- Eight qualifiers and six lucky losers into U19 World Championships main draw
- Welsch/Bieneck into U19 main draw with a little help from ‘big sis’ Victoria
- Eight teams advance to women’s main draw at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Australia’s Guehrer and Hunter take first stepping-stone at U19
- Vlado Nikolov returns to the fold for World Championships
- Iconic $800,000 FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam starts in Austria
- “Jenny” Lang Ping: a legendary wanderer between worlds
- World Grand Prix Week 2: Big twelve begin title chase
- Puerto Rico: “Soto-Man” makes experience count
- Talking Stats: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour—July 29
- Medal winners return to Porto for the U19 World Championships
- Poland, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Bulgaria assume early pool leadership in World Grand Prix
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 11 events
- Elisa Togut looks ahead to Women's World Championship
- Social Timeline: Golden fun in the Long Beach sun
- Social Timeline: New format, same excitement as 2014 Grand Prix begins
- Historic success for Mexico
- USA’s Dalhausser & Rosenthal net third 2014 World Tour gold
- Ross/Walsh Jennings capture women’s gold on home sand
- Back-to-back Larnaka gold for Poland’s Bryl and Kujawiak
- Four European teams keep spotless win-records in World Grand Prix
- Brazil to battle USA Sunday for Long Beach women’s gold
- Men’s Long Beach final between Poland, USA
- U21 World Championships in Larnaka down to last eight