Pool play into final phase at the U21 World Championships
Umag, Croatia, June 20, 2013 – After two rounds of pool play on the first day of main draw the women’s competition at the FIVB U21 World Champions in Umag is taking shape.
Poland's Katarzyna Kociolek and Jagoda Gruszczynska go head to head with Australia to decide top position in pool F|
Reigning junior world champion Nina Betschart and her partner Nicole Eiholzer made no mistakes with two straight wins, but youth world champions Ieva Dumbauskaite and Monika Povilaityte lost in three sets to USA’s Laura Dykstra and Rebecca Strehlow.
In the men’s competition the odds are still open after only one round of pool play.
Reigning U21 world champion Betschart just wants to play
Reigning U21 world champion Nina Betschart and her partner Nicole Eiholzer just want to play their best at the FIVB U21 World Championships in Umag. Betschart can set a new record in Croatia becoming the first player to win three U21 titles in a row, but for the 17-year old this is not her main focus. More
Costa Rican team is soaking in beach volleyball
Costa Rican Valeria Valenciano and Angie Montero came to Umag to watch, learn and experience. The Central American girls are soaking in beach volleyball at the FIVB U21 World Championships.
Late arrival costs St. Lucia the match
A last minute arrival and lack of sleep cost St. Lucia their first match at the U21 World Championships in Umag. Agustin Faulkner and Coen Caesar were no match for Edvarts Buivids and Pekmanis Reinis, in just 24 minutes they lost 21-4 21-13 to the Latvians.
Benham and Kambiz want to make Iran proud
Behnam Tavakoli and Kalteh Kambiz have one major goal this week at the FIVB U21 World Championships in Umag: they are determined to make Iran proud.
On Friday the men will play two rounds and the women one to finish pool play. The pool winners advance straight to the second elimination round. The numbers two and three meet in the first knockout round.
Matches at the Stella Maris Sports Complex start at 10 am on Friday, the last match of the day is scheduled for 10.30 pm.
An interesting match to watch will be the clash between Asian champions Mariafe Artacho and Jessyka Ngauamo from Australia and the 2011 youth world champion Katarzyna Kociolek and her partner Jagoda Gruszczynska from Poland. Both teams had two straight wins on Thursday and at 1.20 pm they will go head to head to decide who takes first place.
FIVB U21 World Championships Tournament Page
Facebook: FIVB - International Volleyball Federation
YouTube: FIVB Video
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- “It’s been a long season”
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”
- As the Mikasa Turns - Bansley & Pavan "split" conversation
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- TALKIN’ STATS: Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Preview
- Toronto's Tuesday Trial - Pavan’s pristine picture?
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016
- Pools and schedule outlined for Men's Club World Champs
- Trentino, UPCN and Bolivar join top teams at Men’s Club World Champs
- Lupo and Nicolai staying grounded despite Rio silver
- Schedule set as World Tour Finals countdown enters final week
- A month after opening, Brazil still bask in Rio 2016 gold glory
- Relive Egypt's Olympic beach volleyball debut
- One month after first serve, memories of Rio still stay strong
- Reminiscing Rio and the delights of Copacabana