Venezuela beats Brazilian air force to claim main draw berth
Umag, Croatia, June 19, 2013 – Venezuela’s Gina Vivas Andrade and Guadalupe Gonzalez Camacho claimed a main draw berth at the FIVB U21 World Championships on Wednesday by defeating a team way superior in size.
Lupe (left) and Gina are the first Venezuelan team to beat Brazil|
On centre court at the Stella Maris sports complex in Umag, Croatia, they beat Brazil’s 1.90 metres tall Roberta Bertrand Glatt and Paola de Medeiros Santos, 1.80, in three sets (21-18 16-21 15-12) in the second and final qualification round. Gina and Lupe only measure 1.70 metres.
Serve was key to success
“It was very difficult playing such a tall team and we had never played them before. We sometimes did not even block, because it was nu use, the tallest girl did not even have to jump to hit the ball straight down. But the secret to our success was the serve”, Gina said.
The Venezuelan girls served mostly on 1.90 tall Roberta, who only started playing volleyball one year ago, and made her dig down deep. Venezuela won the first set, but Roberta and Paola came back in the second with some strong attacks. In the tiebreak the teams were equal until 9-9, but on Lupe’s service turn Venezuela took a 12-9 lead and they finished the game on their third match point.
Not used to the heat
“We had a difficult second set, lost our concentration”, Gina said. “We are not used to this kind of heat.” The temperature on centre court was around 35 to 40 degrees Celsius with no wind. Gina and Lupe come from the Andes Mountains, where it is always cold and often snowing. They are both physical education students at the Andes University in Merida, where there is a beach volleyball training centre.
The girls were not only happy to reach main draw, but also because they are the first Venezuelan team ever to beat a team from Brazil. Gina and Lupe, national champions under 23, finished ninth last year at the under 21 World Championships in Halifax.
FIVB U21 World Championships Tournament Page
Facebook: FIVB - International Volleyball Federation
YouTube: FIVB Video
- Women’s Qualifier Opens Gstaad Major
- Egypt celebrates major triumph for African volleyball
- 360° images recreate finals magic
- Agatha and Barbara top rankings after Netherlands heroics
- Brazil dominates podium in The Hague
- FIVB World Tour resumes in Switzerland at Swatch FIVB Gstaad Major
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update following
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships the Netherlands 2015
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event