Honduras put away Guadeloupe to take Group N
Pointe-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe, June 18, 2013 - Honduras shrugged off an earlier defeat to Guadeloupe to win Group N of the NORCECA World Championship Tournament in convincing and comprehensive manner 3-0 (25-21, 25-14, 25-11) in the finals.
Honduras' captain Luis Membreño receives the trophy as winners of Group N and the ticket to third round|
The gold medal match was interestingly set up when Guadeloupe beat Honduras 3-2 preliminary round and both coaches promised a different showing for the final game and it certainly was.
Carlos Osario lived up to his billing as a top player with 18 points as the Central American jumped out to sizeable leads in each game and never looked back. Evans Torres was his aide with 10 points of his own.
For Guadeloupe Alexandre Watson and Heinrick Perrot ignited the crowd whenever they spiked but this was only 10 times when they each had 5 effective spikes.
Honduras qualified automatically for the next round of matches while Guadeloupe has to await some other group results before it could be assured of one of the four best second place finishers.
In the other matches of Sunday:
Dominica 3, Grenada 0
Dominica confirmed the 3rd place position when they defeated Grenada for the second time in the tournament this time in straight sets (25-14, 25-21, 25-19). The winners varied their attack with almost everyone chipping in to score points. Kenworth Bedminister was the leader with 7 and Lincoln Riviere helped him with 6 points. David Toussaint and Kerwin George joined forces to add 10 points to the victorious cause. Grenada too looked everywhere to gain points. In the end, three players (Akim Andrews, Jonell Phillip and Dominic Pierre) tallied 6 each but their efforts were not enough as they ended the tournament winless.
Dominica 3, Grenada 1
Dominica came from a set down to defeat Grenada 3-1 (21-25, 25-17, 25-22 and 25-19) in the 5th match of the event. Team Dominica had three guys in Lincoln Riviere, David Toussaint and Julian Seraphine leading the offense with 7 points each. Team Grenada’s Dominic Pierre got a match-high 12 points while being assisted by Jonell Phillip with 11 points.
Guadeloupe 3, Honduras 2
Urged on by a chanting home crowd Guadeloupe clawed their way back from 2 sets down to defeat group favorites Honduras in five sets (14- 25, 20-25, 25- 22, 25-18, 15-12) in the final match of the preliminary round. Home boy Marcelle Mickael was outstanding as the leading scorer with 18 points that included 3 service aces and 2 defiant blocks. Saha Ludovic gave a solid support with 17 points. Useful contributions came from Perrot Heindrick (13) and Alexandre Watson (10) who combined for 23 points. Evans Torres 15 points had the most for the losers who seemed invincible up until that point.
- Favourites have field day at Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Puerto Rico hosts NORCECA Final Qualifiers to Nanjing