Honduras put away Guadeloupe to take Group N
Pointe-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe, June 18, 2013 - Honduras shrugged off an earlier defeat to Guadeloupe to win Group N of the NORCECA World Championship Tournament in convincing and comprehensive manner 3-0 (25-21, 25-14, 25-11) in the finals.
Honduras' captain Luis Membreño receives the trophy as winners of Group N and the ticket to third round|
The gold medal match was interestingly set up when Guadeloupe beat Honduras 3-2 preliminary round and both coaches promised a different showing for the final game and it certainly was.
Carlos Osario lived up to his billing as a top player with 18 points as the Central American jumped out to sizeable leads in each game and never looked back. Evans Torres was his aide with 10 points of his own.
For Guadeloupe Alexandre Watson and Heinrick Perrot ignited the crowd whenever they spiked but this was only 10 times when they each had 5 effective spikes.
Honduras qualified automatically for the next round of matches while Guadeloupe has to await some other group results before it could be assured of one of the four best second place finishers.
In the other matches of Sunday:
Dominica 3, Grenada 0
Dominica confirmed the 3rd place position when they defeated Grenada for the second time in the tournament this time in straight sets (25-14, 25-21, 25-19). The winners varied their attack with almost everyone chipping in to score points. Kenworth Bedminister was the leader with 7 and Lincoln Riviere helped him with 6 points. David Toussaint and Kerwin George joined forces to add 10 points to the victorious cause. Grenada too looked everywhere to gain points. In the end, three players (Akim Andrews, Jonell Phillip and Dominic Pierre) tallied 6 each but their efforts were not enough as they ended the tournament winless.
Dominica 3, Grenada 1
Dominica came from a set down to defeat Grenada 3-1 (21-25, 25-17, 25-22 and 25-19) in the 5th match of the event. Team Dominica had three guys in Lincoln Riviere, David Toussaint and Julian Seraphine leading the offense with 7 points each. Team Grenada’s Dominic Pierre got a match-high 12 points while being assisted by Jonell Phillip with 11 points.
Guadeloupe 3, Honduras 2
Urged on by a chanting home crowd Guadeloupe clawed their way back from 2 sets down to defeat group favorites Honduras in five sets (14- 25, 20-25, 25- 22, 25-18, 15-12) in the final match of the preliminary round. Home boy Marcelle Mickael was outstanding as the leading scorer with 18 points that included 3 service aces and 2 defiant blocks. Saha Ludovic gave a solid support with 17 points. Useful contributions came from Perrot Heindrick (13) and Alexandre Watson (10) who combined for 23 points. Evans Torres 15 points had the most for the losers who seemed invincible up until that point.
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday
- Amiable Apeldoorn absolutely awesome area for elimination rounds
- Paraguay's Michelle/Filippo incredible experience in Apeldoorn
- Juliana and Larissa set up Amsterdam showdown
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Three Dutch men’s teams advance to elimination rounds