English duo into main draw at Rome Grand Slam
Rome, Italy, June 18, 2013 – England’s Lucy Boulton and Zara Dampney held off the challenge of Thai pair Varapatsorn Radarong and Tanarattha Udomchavee to reach the main draw at the smart Grand Slam - Rome with a 2-0 (21-17, 21-14) win.
Zara Dampney is into her third Grand Slam main draw of the year with Lucy Boulton|
In soaring temperatures the English were pushed hard by the Thai team, but used their greater experience and power to overwhelm them late on in the second set.
“They were tough conditions out here, it’s still hot, even at five o’clock,” Boulton said. “Zara sided-out like a champ and made some points and we’re through to the main draw which is exactly what we wanted.”
It is the third time this season that Dampney and Boulton have reached the main draw of a Grand Slam tournament, after they made it through qualification at the Shanghai and Corrientes Grand Slams earlier in the year.
They teamed up at the end of 2012 after Dampney’s split with her London 2012 partner Shauna Mullin and Boulton and Denise Johns ended their time together. They are also now playing under the banner of England rather than Great Britain and Northern Ireland, which they had to adopt to compete at a home Olympic Games.
“It has been good so far,” Dampney said. “I think we all wanted a change after London and we’re keeping it fresh and working with new things now. Everything is new and it’s challenging, but it is nice and refreshing.”
Also into the next round are Canada’s Jamie-Lyn Broder and Kristina Valjas who held their nerve against local favourites Grazziella Lo Re and Giulia Toti to win 2-0 (21-11, 21-19).
They started quickly and won the first set, but after taking control of the second they were unable to shake off the Italians in front of a vociferous crowd. Eventually they refocused and held off Lo Re and Toti to reach the main draw.
“We came out really hard in the first set, we were very focused and we executed everything very well,” Broder said. “We had a little bit of a lapse in focus at the start of the second set, but I’m happy we could work back from that deficit and regain our focus to control the match again.
“I honestly expected them to be even louder. There were a few fans shouting here and there, but you’ve got to expect that when you’re playing the home team, so you’ve got to be ready for it.”
Maria Clara and Carolina Salgado, fresh from winning silver at The Hague Grand Slam last week won their match in straight sets, while there were victories for another five teams that guarantees their participation in the main draw that starts on June 19.
The Rome Grand Slam is the fourth Grand Slam of 10 on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour. The competition runs from June 17 until June 23, when both the men’s and women’s finals take place.
Following the Rome Grand Slam, the world’s leading players take a week’s break before the start of the ninth FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships in Stare Jablonki from July 1-7. After the World Championships are completed the World Tour resumes the following week at the Gstaad Grand Slam in the Swiss Alps.
Rome Grand Slam Tournament Page
Rome Grand Slam Women's Entry List
Rome Grand Slam Men's Entry List
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review