Guatemala win NORCECA Men’s Group M
Paramaribo, Suriname, June 18, 2013 - Jeyson Flores and captain Oscar Daniel Garcia led a balanced Guatemala attack to a hard fought 3-1 (25-22, 25-23, 24-26, 25-21) triumph over hosts Suriname to win the NORCECA Men’s Group M Tournament advancing to the third round towards the 2014 FIVB World Volleyball Championship in Poland.
Guatemalans celebrate their pass to NORCECA's third round of tournaments towards the FIVB Men's World Championship in Poland|
Less than 12 hours earlier, Guatemala had also defeated the host country 3-0 to reach the final, and once there, the Central Americans withstood a determined challenge from the hosts, winning the critical points to secure their lone automatic ticket from the group to the third round.
Flores and Garcia, both ended with 15 points while the duo of Moises Santos and Andy Leonardo also chipped in with ten points each.
Despite being shorter in height, and being out blocked 14-2 and out served 4-2, what the
Guatemalans lacked in power, they made up with accuracy as they only committed 19 errors to Suriname’s 32, which proved vital in the end result.
For Suriname which faltered in the closing stages of the sets, Gino Naarden with 23 points, and Keven Sporkslede, with 22, were the game’s top two scorers.
At the end of the preliminary phase, Guatemala, Suriname and Martinique all finished the preliminary round with 2-1 win-loss records and 10 points and this meant the top two teams needed to be decided on the points-ratio differential which saw Suriname’s 1.231 to lead the table ahead of fellow finalist Guatemala (1.214) while Martinique (1.121) was third and had to face Anguilla for bronze.
In the other matches of Sunday:
Martinique 3, Anguilla 0
Martinique registered a second straight 3-0 (25-18, 25-12, 25-16) defeat of Anguilla to take the bronze medal. Leading the way for Martinique which dominated on spikes 25-19, blocks 6-5 and service aces, 9-0 was Edouard Lowinsky with 14 points, while Brice Hardy-Dessources got 10, with three service aces and two blocks. Sherwin Richardson was the top scorer for Anguilla with ten points, while Calvin Samuel got eight.
Martinique 3, Anguilla 0
Martinique swept past Anguilla 3-0 (25-11, 25-17, 25-16) to keep alive its chances of a spot in the gold medal match. Martinique was led by 13 points from Brice Hardy-Dessources which included three blocks, and 10 from Gregory Alpha. Aymeric Christine chipped in with eight points. Martinique dominated its rival on spikes, 29-16, and on aces, 11-4 but were outdone on blocks 4-7.
Guatemala 3, Suriname 0
Captain Oscar Daniel Garcia led three players in double-figure scoring as Guatemala put on its best performance in three matches, beating hosts Suriname 25-17, 25-18, 25-23 to reach the gold medal. Garcia tallied 12 points, while Andy Leonardo and Jeyson Flores each got 10 points. Keven Sporkslede, who has been used mainly off the bench due to an injury, led all scorers with 18 points, while Gino Naarden got nine.
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball Media Guide now available
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship