Honduras presents strong credentials
Point-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe, June 16, 2013 - Honduras seems on course for topping the NORCECA Second Round Group N Tournament unless Guadeloupe has other ideas. The two will meet twice on Sunday with the playoff game having the real meaning.
Honduras won their two matches on Saturday in Guadeloupe despite a long trip and late arrival due to traveling issues|
Both sides won their matches of Saturday over Grenada and Dominica and the winner of the Sunday’s evening clash will determine the lone spot to the third round of NORCECA qualifiers on early 2014.
Guadeloupe now looks forward to the top of the group clash with Honduras on Sunday while Dominica and Grenada will tangle to avoid cellar place and restore some pride within their respective camps.
Guadeloupe 3, Grenada 0
Guadeloupe successfully defended their home turf in the opening encounter when they brushed aside team Grenada in straight sets (25-18, 25-16, 25-17). The French attack was shared evenly as Perrot Heindrick and Marcelle Micheal contributed 10 points each while Saha Ludovic poured in five aces throughout the game. Adam Lafeuillee led Grenada with 6 points in a losing cause.
Honduras 3, Dominica 0
Honduras took match two when they overcame a determined Dominica team in straight sets (25-17, 25-21, 25-22). Arriving just moments before the delayed start of the game the Hondurans were made to work as Dominica exhibited a strong fight. The Honduran spike points were shared evenly between Carlos Osario and Evans Torres at 10. The Dominica’s charge was led by Lincoln Riviere who was the highest individual scorer in the game with 13 points.
Honduras 3, Grenada 0
Honduras waltzed past Team Grenada in three straight sets (25-11, 25-11, 25-8) to win their second game in quick succession. In doing so the Hondurans remain on course to achieve their number one objective and that is to top Group N. Honduras did well to spread their offence and Luis Matamoros was the leading scorer in the game with 9 points. Honduras seems on course for topping the group unless Guadeloupe has other ideas. The two will meet twice on Sunday with the playoff game having the real meaning.
Guadeloupe 3, Dominica 0
The highly anticipated clash between Dominica and hosts Guadeloupe ended in an anticlimax as the home side easily disposed of their neighbors in straight sets 25-15, 25-12, 25-22. Guadeloupe’s best scorer was Alexandre Watson with 14 points. Of those he had 4 blocks and 3 service aces to go along with 7 spikes. Assisting him were Loic Couchy and Gammiette Rosnel who chipped in with 12 and 10 points respectively. Couchy dominated with 10 spikes while Rosnel posted 5 blocks.
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win