Three Brazilian teams in The Hague Grand Slam finals
The Hague, the Netherlands, June 15, 2013 – The first ever Grand Slam in the Netherlands stages an all-Brazilian final in the women’s competition. Former The Hague Open champion Talita Antunes and her new partner Taiana Lima take on sisters Maria Clara and Carolina Salgado.
Carolina Salgado and her sister Maria Clara play Talita Antunes and Taiana Lima in an all-Brazilian final in The Hague|
In the men’s final Corrientes champions Janis Smedins and Aleksandrs Samoilovs from Latvia go for back-to-back gold against Brazil’s Bruno Oscar Schmidt and Pedro Solberg, another descendant of the Salgado family. It’s the first Latvia-Brazil final in the history of the World Tour.
The bronze medal matches will be decided between Germany’s Holtwick/Semmler and Dutch team Van der Vlist/Wesselink and Austria’s Huber/Seidl and Poland’s Fijalek/Prudel.
All-Brazilian women’s final in The Hague
The Transavia The Hague Grand Slam, the first ever Grand Slam in the Netherlands, will have an all-Brazilian women’s final on Sunday. Talita Antunes and Taiana Lima take on Maria Clara and Carolina Salgado on centre court at the Scheveningen beach at 3 pm.
Latvia on track for back-to-back gold
Janis Smedins and Aleksandrs Samoilovs are on track for back-to-back Grand Slam gold medals. The Latvian team won the Corrientes Grand Slam just a few weeks ago and reached the final of the Transavia The Hague Grand Slam on Saturday.
First semifinal ever for Dutch Van der Vlist and Wesselink
Jantine van der Vlist and Marloes Wesselink claimed their first ever semifinal on the World Tour on Saturday. The Dutch team defeated fourth seeded Greta Cicolari and Marta Menegatti from Italy in three sets (21-13 18-21 15-10) at the Transavia The Hague Grand Slam. More
Austrian qualifiers Huber and Seidl reach semifinal
Alexander Huber and Robin Seidl came all the way from qualification to reach the semifinals of the Transavia The Hague Grand Slam on Saturday. The Austrian team defeated Poland’s Michal Kadziola and Jakub Szalankiewicz in three sets (15-21 21-17 15-11) in the quarterfinal.
The final day of the Transavia The Hague Grand Slam presented by the Bas van de Goor Foundation will start with the women’s bronze medal match at 12.30, followed by the men’s bronze medal match. The finals are scheduled for 3 pm (women) and 4 pm (men).
After The Hague the World Tour travels to Rome, the last Grand Slam before the World Championships in Stare Jablonki in Poland (July 1-7). The Hague stages the next World Championships in 2015.
FIVB Transavia Grand Slam tournament page
Twitter: @FIVB Volleyball
Facebook: FIVB - International Volleyball Federation
YouTube: FIVB Video
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers