CEV Board studies actions to make sure sport evolves with the times
Istanbul, Turkey, June 15, 2013 - To round off a busy weekend the CEV Board of Administration got together on Saturday in Istanbul thereby following up on some of the items previously discussed by the Executive Committee.
The members of the CEV Board of Administration chaired by CEV President André Meyer at the end of their meeting held on Saturday in Istanbul |
The CEV Board of Administration got the opportunity to start studying and evaluating a series of proposals coming from the Commissions and their respective experts, ideas that are likely to help Europe’s Volleyball family evolve with the times and follow the latest marketing and communication trends so as to continue innovating the CEV image and improve on the tremendous success of the past years.
Though some countries are still being confronted by the effects of the international crisis, the registrations for the next edition of the European Cups did not show any drop in their figures and actually for the second consecutive year the CEV Volleyball Champions League will be played with 28 and 24 teams in the men’s and women’s division respectively. This is a very positive outcome with some countries and clubs set to join Europe’s elite competition for the very first time in their history. The next step will be the DOLs that are scheduled for June 20 – for the 2014 CEV Volleyball Cup and CEV Volleyball Challenge Cup – and June 28 as Vienna will once more play host to the annual European Volleyball Gala and to the Drawing of Lots for the CEV Volleyball Champions League.
In an effort to improve on the marketability and appeal of the CEV Volleyball Champions League, a working group bringing together CEV officials and representatives of the participating teams was set up some months ago and will continue its work up to the end of the year so as to jointly identify measures and actions likely to increase the quality of this world-class competition.
The CEV Board of Administration did also discuss about the international calendar for the next two-three years though some dates are still pending for decisions are waited from FIVB about the final schedule of global competitions.
As for the European Games whose inaugural edition is slated for 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan, discussions are still ongoing with the European Olympic Committees but Volleyball and Beach Volleyball are tentatively included on the program with – most probably – 12 and 32 teams respectively/per gender set to compete there.
To follow up on some tests which are being carried out – such as the scoring system being applied in this year’s edition of the CEV Volleyball European League or the innovative formula adopted for the CEV Beach Volleyball Satellite in Montpellier – the various CEV Commissions will join their forces and evaluate the results of such actions whose common goal is to make the sport more attractive for fans, sponsors, partners and media alike.
- Sada Cruzeiro and Minas Tênis Clube to host 2016 edition of Men's Club World Championship
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016