Argentina earns ticket to 2014 FIVB Grand Prix
Lima, Peru, June 14, 2013 – Argentina captured a spot in next year’s FIVB World Grand Prix while advancing towards the semifinals of the Movistar Women’s Volleyball Pan American Cup with a victory over Cuba at Eduardo Dibos Coliseum of Lima.
It was an explosion of joy after Argentina defeated Cuba for the first time ever and at the same time sealed a ticket to the 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix on Friday in Lima, Peru|
It was the first ever victory of Argentina over Cuba in women’s volleyball and earned the South Americans a final-four match against Dominican Republic, the best ranked team of the preliminary phase.
The other quarterfinal saw Brazil advancing to a semifinal match against defending champions United States. The Brazilian junior national team edged Canada in five sets at Miguel Grau Coliseum of Callao.
In the other action of Friday, Puerto Rico and Peru advanced to the 5-to-8 positions round following victories over Costa Rica and Mexico, respectively. The Puerto Ricans cruised to a straight-set win but the Peruvians had to battle hard before surviving a five-set clash.Now Puerto Rico faces Canada and Peru square off against Cuba.
In the matches for 9-to-12 positions on Saturday, Trinidad & Tobago meets Mexico while Colombia takes on Costa Rica.
Argentina 3, Cuba 0
Argentina pulled a 26-24, 25-22, 25-23 victory over Cuba to move into the semifinals and along the way also captured a ticket to next year’s FIVB World Grand Prix. Lucia Fresco posted 24 points to lead the Argentinean offense while Emilce Sosa contributed 10. Cubans Yoana Palacio, Rosanna Giel and Ana Cleger finished with 12, 11 and 10 points respectively. Argentina outserved Cuba 7-3 and held a 9-8 slight advantage in the blocking stats.
Brazil 3, Canada 2
Brazil qualified to the semifinals following a 3-2 victory over Canada by scores of 25-20, 23-25, 25-13, 20-25, 15-9. Gabriela Braga Guimaraes led Brazil with 27 points, while Silvia Aparecida totaled 12. Kyla Richey was the leader for Canada with 16, Jaimie Thibeault closed with 14 including 3 aces while Lisa Barclay and Shanice Marcelle had 13 and 10 points respectively. Canada won the blocking battle 21-17 but Brazil was tops in service winners (9-6) and attacks (48-44).
Puerto Rico 3, Costa Rica 0
Puerto Rico breezed past Costa Rica 25-5, 25-14, 25-12 keeping alive their hopes of qualifying to the 2014 World Grand Prix. Karina and Sheila Ocasio each charted 10 points for Puerto Rico while Yarimar Rosa and Ania Ruiz added 8 apiece. Angela Willis had 8 points for Costa Rica. The winners held a huge margin in serving aces 10-2 and out-blocked the opponents 7-2. Ruiz had six aces among her tally.
Peru 3, Mexico 2
Hosts Peru edged Mexico in a five-set thriller (20-25, 26-28, 25-20, 25-17, 16-14) in a consolation match. The young Raffaela Camet was the top scorer of the home side with 25 points followed by Angelica Aquino, who tallied 16. The veterans Karla Ortiz and Yulissa Zamudio each had 12 points while Mirtha Uribe added 10. Mexico’s Samantha Bricio and Alejandra Isiordia registered 24 and 19 points while Lizbeth Sainz finished with 16.
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers