Argentina earns ticket to 2014 FIVB Grand Prix
Lima, Peru, June 14, 2013 – Argentina captured a spot in next year’s FIVB World Grand Prix while advancing towards the semifinals of the Movistar Women’s Volleyball Pan American Cup with a victory over Cuba at Eduardo Dibos Coliseum of Lima.
It was an explosion of joy after Argentina defeated Cuba for the first time ever and at the same time sealed a ticket to the 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix on Friday in Lima, Peru|
It was the first ever victory of Argentina over Cuba in women’s volleyball and earned the South Americans a final-four match against Dominican Republic, the best ranked team of the preliminary phase.
The other quarterfinal saw Brazil advancing to a semifinal match against defending champions United States. The Brazilian junior national team edged Canada in five sets at Miguel Grau Coliseum of Callao.
In the other action of Friday, Puerto Rico and Peru advanced to the 5-to-8 positions round following victories over Costa Rica and Mexico, respectively. The Puerto Ricans cruised to a straight-set win but the Peruvians had to battle hard before surviving a five-set clash.Now Puerto Rico faces Canada and Peru square off against Cuba.
In the matches for 9-to-12 positions on Saturday, Trinidad & Tobago meets Mexico while Colombia takes on Costa Rica.
Argentina 3, Cuba 0
Argentina pulled a 26-24, 25-22, 25-23 victory over Cuba to move into the semifinals and along the way also captured a ticket to next year’s FIVB World Grand Prix. Lucia Fresco posted 24 points to lead the Argentinean offense while Emilce Sosa contributed 10. Cubans Yoana Palacio, Rosanna Giel and Ana Cleger finished with 12, 11 and 10 points respectively. Argentina outserved Cuba 7-3 and held a 9-8 slight advantage in the blocking stats.
Brazil 3, Canada 2
Brazil qualified to the semifinals following a 3-2 victory over Canada by scores of 25-20, 23-25, 25-13, 20-25, 15-9. Gabriela Braga Guimaraes led Brazil with 27 points, while Silvia Aparecida totaled 12. Kyla Richey was the leader for Canada with 16, Jaimie Thibeault closed with 14 including 3 aces while Lisa Barclay and Shanice Marcelle had 13 and 10 points respectively. Canada won the blocking battle 21-17 but Brazil was tops in service winners (9-6) and attacks (48-44).
Puerto Rico 3, Costa Rica 0
Puerto Rico breezed past Costa Rica 25-5, 25-14, 25-12 keeping alive their hopes of qualifying to the 2014 World Grand Prix. Karina and Sheila Ocasio each charted 10 points for Puerto Rico while Yarimar Rosa and Ania Ruiz added 8 apiece. Angela Willis had 8 points for Costa Rica. The winners held a huge margin in serving aces 10-2 and out-blocked the opponents 7-2. Ruiz had six aces among her tally.
Peru 3, Mexico 2
Hosts Peru edged Mexico in a five-set thriller (20-25, 26-28, 25-20, 25-17, 16-14) in a consolation match. The young Raffaela Camet was the top scorer of the home side with 25 points followed by Angelica Aquino, who tallied 16. The veterans Karla Ortiz and Yulissa Zamudio each had 12 points while Mirtha Uribe added 10. Mexico’s Samantha Bricio and Alejandra Isiordia registered 24 and 19 points while Lizbeth Sainz finished with 16.
- Brazil record 30th title win in South American Championship
- Russian claim back-to-back European titles to cement status as Europe's Volleyball Queens
- FIVB President Graça launches '9 goals' strategic plan
- Russia and the Netherlands to clash for European crown
- Beach Volleyball Impressions - 1981 from southern California to now in south Florida
- USA win third consecutive NORCECA title
- Brazil, Germany and USA pairs net Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals bracket berths
- USA face Dominican Republic in NORCECA Women’s Championship final
- Women’s EuroVolley semis are set; Russia play Serbia, Oranjes take on Turkey
- Brazilian world champions featured Wednesday
- Lost in America
- Italy, Poland, Belgium and Germany complete line-up for women’s EuroVolley quarterfinals
- “Wild Card” Tuesday at SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- 2017 Beach Volleyball World Championships bidding process extended
- SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals - Revised Side Court Schedule
- A mum who sides out
- Congress preparations in full swing as President Graça visits FeVA
- Netherlands, Russia, Serbia and Turkey progress to women's EuroVolley quarterfinals
- $500,000 Swatch FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Finals
this week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
- Brazilian city of Maceio host South American tournament calendar highlight
- Puerto Rican Aury Cruz ties own scoring record
- Russia lead men’s U21 rankings
- Dominican Republic top women’s U20 rankings
- Japan host successful outreach programme
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update after FIVB Xiamen Open
- Eight teams vie for South American Championship crown
- First FIVB World Tour gold for Switzerland's Heidrich/Zumkehr at Xiamen Open
- Milestone Saturday for Lucena & Dalhausser
- Zumkehr/Heidrich upset top seeds Wang/Yue to enter Xiamen Open semifinal
- Milestone gold medal for USA’s Lucena/Dalhausser in Xiamen Open
- Brazilian men stay top of FIVB World Ranking
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Participants Dalhausser & Lucena advance in China
- Latvia's Plavins/Regza storm to first FIVB World Tour semifinals at Xiamen Open
- Top seeds Yue/Wang unbeaten in pool play at Xiamen Open
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals participants beat the heat & humidity, stayin’ alive
- Nine berths still up for grabs as USA and Italy qualify for Rio
- Top seeds Wang/Yue off to good start in Main Draw at Xiamen Open
- President Graça praises outstanding World Cup
- Samoilovs/Smedins, Lucena/ Dalhausser reach last 16 at Xiamen Open
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Men's World Cup Japan 2015 - Final Day
- USA’s Anderson heads Men’s World Cup Dream Team
- USA wrap up historic World Cup as Italy join them on road to Rio
- Russia crowns outstanding year with Men's U21 victory
- Dominican Republic celebrates historic success
- Top seeds Samoilovs/Smedins lead pool in Xiamen Open Main Draw
- Germany's Mersmann/Schneider lead eight teams into women's Main Draw at Xiamen Open
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Men's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 10
- President Graça meets Peruvian congresswoman Chihuan
- Three teams to battle for Rio 2016 berth on final day of World Cup
- USA's Crabb brothers reach 2015 Xiamen Open Main Draw in first major tournament