Suriname to host NORCECA Men’s Group M
Paramaribo, Suriname, June 14, 2013 – The NORCECA second round of tournaments towards the 2014 FIVB Men’s World Championship in Poland continue this weekend at the Ismay vam Wilgen Sport Hall of Paramaribo with the Group M four-team competition.
Suriname defeated Barbados to win last year's first round NORCECA Tournament held in Cayman Islands|
Teams of Suriname and Guatemala, winners of last year’s first round tournaments in Groups E and H, respectively, are joined by squads from Martinique and Anguilla for the weekend event.
Teams will battle for one spot to next year’s third and final round of qualifiers. However, the team that finishes in second place still have chance to punch a ticket to the third round but only as one of the four second-placed teams of the six events of 2013 with the best ranking at the end of the year.
The competition schedule see teams playing double-headers on Saturday and another match on Sunday morning to conclude the preliminary phase. Then on Sunday evening the first and second place team will compete for top place and the third and fourth place will play a consolation match.
Last year, the NORCECA 13th Guatemala outdueled Costa Rica at their own home to take first place of Group H with a 22-25, 25-20, 25-20, 18-25, 15-13 victory in the final day. The 22nd ranked Suriname claimed top place in Cayman Islands with a 3-2 (25-22, 18-25, 15-25, 25-20, 15-12) victory over Barbados.
The members of the NORCECA Control Committee arrived in Suriname on Thursday and teams will be arriving on Thursday for the preliminary enquiry and the subsequent general technical meeting.
09:00 Suriname v Anguilla
11:00 Martinique v Guatemala
18:00 Guatemala v Anguilla
20:00 Suriname v Martinique
09:00 Anguilla v Martinique
11:00 Suriname v Guatemala
18:00 Third v Fourth
20:00 First v Second
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament