Germany and Latvia only pool winners with three straight victories
The Hague, the Netherlands, June 13, 2013 - After the second day of main draw at the Transavia The Hague Grand Slam eight women’s and eight men’s teams were sent home, including former world champion Todd Rogers and his new partner Ryan Doherty.
The Transavia The Hague Grand Slam beach stadium at Scheveningen|
Only two teams finished pool play with three straight wins: Germany’s Laura Ludwig and Kira Walkenhorst and Latvia’s Janis Smedins and Aleksandrs Samoilovs.
The eight pool winners of each gender advanced directly to the second elimination round. The numbers two and three start in the first knockout round on Friday.
Austria’s Doppler and Horst upset Brazilian world champions
Austria’s Clemens Doppler and Alexander Horst upset world champions Alison Cerutti and Emanuel Rego in two close sets (22-20 24-22) on Thursday. At the same time the eighteenth seeded Austrians secured top position in pool B at the second main draw day of the Transavia The Hague Grand Slam.
Kubala back on the sand after surgery
Premysl Kubala is back on the sand after months of surgery and recovery. The 39-year old Czech player and his partner Petr Benes returned to the FIVB World Tour at the Transavia Grand Slam in The Hague this week. Their last event dated back to the Grand Slam in Stare Jablonki in August.
Salgado sisters beat Germany to claim top position in pool C
Maria Clara and Carolina Salgado defeated Germany’s Katrin Holtwick and Ilka Semmler on Thursday at the Transavia The Hague Grand Slam to claim top position in pool C. The Brazilian sisters, who now earned a bye in the first elimination round, needed three sets (21-14 17-21 15-9) to beat their rivals. Both teams booked two straight victories in the first two rounds.
Talita has a special connection with The Hague
Brazil’s Talita Antunes has a special connection with The Hague. She won silver in 2009, gold in 2010 and bronze in 2011 in the Dutch city with Maria Antonelli. And she even likes the always-present wind in the coastal town.
Moral boost for Dutch scratch team
It does not happen every day you beat the world champions, so Daan Spijkers and Chris Varenhorst were pretty pleased with themselves after their 2-0 (21-12 21-14) win over Brazil’s Alison Cerutti and Emanuel Rego. The Dutch scratch team also earned a spot in the first elimination round on Friday.
Matches start at 9.30 am on Friday, spread over three courts, including the city court. The quarterfinals and semifinals are scheduled for Saturday, followed by the finals and bronze medal matches on Sunday.
The Transavia Grand Slam is the first grand slam in the Netherlands after three open events in 2009, 2010 and 2011. After The Hague the FIVB World Tour stops in Rome.
FIVB Transavia Grand Slam tournament page
Twitter: @FIVB Volleyball
Facebook: FIVB - International Volleyball Federation
YouTube: FIVB Video
- Favourites have field day at Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Puerto Rico hosts NORCECA Final Qualifiers to Nanjing