No major upsets on first day of main draw in The Hague
The Hague, the Netherlands, June 12, 2013 – The first day of pool play at the Transavia The Hague Grand Slam presented by Bas van de Goor hardly brought any surprises. There was rain and most of the top teams remained unbeaten.
City court match between Canada's Ben Saxton and Chaim Schalk and USA's Jake Gibb and Casey Patterson|
The women played two rounds of competition, the men only played one match. Also, for the first time, some of the matches were staged at the city court, created at the heart of the old town centre in The Hague.
Former team mates Agatha and Seixas on opposite sides of the net
Barbara Seixas and Agatha Bednarczuk ended the season last year with a bronze medal in Thailand. This year the Brazilian girls both have different partners and in their first match Wednesday at the Transavia The Hague Grand Slam they were on opposite sites of the net. Agatha playing with Maria Antonelli and Seixas with Liliane Maestrini.
Back to zero again for Smedins and Samoilovs
New team Janis Smedins and Aleksandrs Samoilovs won gold in Corrientes just a few weeks ago, but the Latvians do not count themselves as favourites for the Transavia The Hague Grand Slam yet. “It was a big win and you should celebrate, but the next day it’s back to zero”, Olympic bronze medallist Smedins said Wednesday on a windy Scheveningen beach.
Surprise win for Fuchs and Kaczmarek
Sebastian Fuchs and Thomas Kaczmarek upset former world champion Todd Rogers and his new partner Ryan Doherty at the Transavia The Hague Grand Slam on the first day of main draw. The ‘last minute’ team from Germany won in three sets on their fourth match point: 21-9 17-21 18-16.
Schuil and Nummerdor lose comeback match
Dutch stars Richard Schuil and Reinder Nummerdor could not crown their comeback on the FIVB World Tour with a victory. They were defeated in two sets (21-19 21-14) by Polish junior world champions Piotr Kantor and Bartosz Losiak at the Transavia The Hague Grand Slam on Wednesday.
Meppelink and Van Gestel shake of the jitters to remain unbeaten in The Hague
Corrientes champions Madelein Meppelink and Sophie van Gestel were so nervous for their first match at the Transavia The Hague Grand Slam that they almost threw up their breakfasts. It might have been the reason they lost the first set to Italian qualifiers Daniela Gioria and Laura Giombini.
City court great promotion for The Hague
You can play beach volleyball on the beach, or just in the middle of a city. That’s what the promoter of the Transavia The Hague Grand Slam might have thought. Next to the Dutch parliament building in the city centre of The Hague they built court number four. More
The first grand slam ever in The Hague continues on Thursday with two rounds in the men’s competition and one round in the women’s to finish pool play. The eight pool winners move straight into the second knockout round. The numbers two and three continue to the first elimination round.
After the Transavia Grand Slam the FIVB World Tour moves to Rome for the fourth grand slam of the year, followed by the World Championships in Stare Jablonki, Poland, July 2-7.
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win