FIVB brings back ‘Match of the Week’ for 2013 World League
Lausanne, Switzerland, May 30, 2013 – The FIVB is pleased to announce the return of the FIVB Volleyball World League ‘Match of the Week’ after a year’s hiatus. The programme allows for broadcasters to televise for free, one match from each week of the FIVB’s premier annual tournament for men.
The "Match of the week" highlighted Germany's meeting with Russia in the 2011 edition of the World League. This year's programme will feature seven matches over the course of the World League Intercontinental Round.|
The specially selected ‘Match of the Week’ is available to the World League’s host broadcasters as well as other TV channels. The FIVB launched the initiative in 2008 to further spread volleyball into regions where the sport has the potential to grow.
In total there will be seven matches - one more than in previous years - distributed by IMG free of charge to the host TV Broadcasters of the 18 participating countries. The matches will include English commentary and will be shown live and on demand on the FIVB Web TV, geo-blocked only in countries where respective rights have been sold.
The first 'Match of the Week' will see Korea and Japan (Pool C) play their first match together on June 1 at 05:00 GMT at the Hwasung Indoor Gym in Hwasung, Korea.
Week two will feature 2012 World League title holder Poland in a Pool A home match against Brazil in Lodz on June 9 at 18:15 with week three featuring Russia against Serbia on June 14 at 15:00 in Kaliningrad for a Pool B match.
In week four fans will be able to watch Bulgaria host Argentina in Sofia (last year’s World League Finals host city) on June 22 at 17:00 in a Pool A match while week five will see Cuba take on Russia in Pool B on June 28 in La Habana at 00:40 (+1d). Week six will feature Serbia again, this time taking on Italy in Novi Sad on July 6 at 18:00 in Pool B. In week 7 fans will be able to watch one of the biggest rivalries in volleyball when Brazil host USA in a Pool A match in Rio de Janeiro on July 13 at 13:00. All times are GMT.
In 2011 the ‘Match of the Week’ was broadcast by 19 international broadcasters across 53 territories. Highlights of all the matches also appeared in the 26 minute FIVB World League highlight, produced and distributed by IMG once a week. Like this year, all matches were shown live and on demand on FIVB Web TV.
This year the English commentary for the matches will be provided by Phil Bush, a former player turned broadcaster who has worked for the FIVB to provide the Play by Play for the FIVB ‘Match of the Week.’ He has spent 17 seasons working for Fox SportsNet South, ESPNU, CSS and Sun Sports.
The FIVB Volleyball World League is set to start on Friday and run until July 14 with the Finals taking place in Mar del Plata, Argentina from July 17 to 21.
For more info contact the FIVB TV & Marketing Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 9 - LIVE
- Second round has arrived with promises of more exciting matches
- Video challenge eyes the court in second and final round
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - As It Happened
- Introducing Round 2: Russia, USA, Turkey and Bulgaria seek a pass to the Final Six
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 14 events
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- First round concludes with thrilling matches across Italy
- Ma-Xia win beach volleyball gold at Asian Games
- First FIVB World Tour medal bittersweet for Italy's Menegatti/Orsi Toth
- Call brings old Brazilian friends back together on the beach
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Brazil holds off Italy to win women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Netherlands stops Brazil for men’s gold medal at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China’s Ma-Xia to face Thailand’s Udomchavee-Radarong in the final of Asian Games beach volleyball tournament
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Varenhorst calls in the Experience to FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Beach growing in the land of Volleyball
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- Brazil, Netherlands to tangle for men’s gold Sunday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- Brazil to meet Italy for women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Last-minute invite leads Popp to fifth place at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Four China teams make Asian Games beach volleyball semis
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Men’s final four set for Saturday’s semifinals at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Women’s final four set for Saturday’s semis at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Slow end doesn't dull Czech Republic's Slukova/Kolocova breakthrough year
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Twenty-four men’s duos advance from pool play Thursday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Canada's Binstock/Schachter earn memorable triple in São Paulo
- Women’s field reduced to 24 teams at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Were you at the final?
- Austria's Schwaiger on road to Rio with new teammate
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Ten unbeaten women’s teams Wednesday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Five huge surprises in men’s pool play FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam Wednesday