FIVB brings back ‘Match of the Week’ for 2013 World League
Lausanne, Switzerland, May 30, 2013 – The FIVB is pleased to announce the return of the FIVB Volleyball World League ‘Match of the Week’ after a year’s hiatus. The programme allows for broadcasters to televise for free, one match from each week of the FIVB’s premier annual tournament for men.
The "Match of the week" highlighted Germany's meeting with Russia in the 2011 edition of the World League. This year's programme will feature seven matches over the course of the World League Intercontinental Round.|
The specially selected ‘Match of the Week’ is available to the World League’s host broadcasters as well as other TV channels. The FIVB launched the initiative in 2008 to further spread volleyball into regions where the sport has the potential to grow.
In total there will be seven matches - one more than in previous years - distributed by IMG free of charge to the host TV Broadcasters of the 18 participating countries. The matches will include English commentary and will be shown live and on demand on the FIVB Web TV, geo-blocked only in countries where respective rights have been sold.
The first 'Match of the Week' will see Korea and Japan (Pool C) play their first match together on June 1 at 05:00 GMT at the Hwasung Indoor Gym in Hwasung, Korea.
Week two will feature 2012 World League title holder Poland in a Pool A home match against Brazil in Lodz on June 9 at 18:15 with week three featuring Russia against Serbia on June 14 at 15:00 in Kaliningrad for a Pool B match.
In week four fans will be able to watch Bulgaria host Argentina in Sofia (last year’s World League Finals host city) on June 22 at 17:00 in a Pool A match while week five will see Cuba take on Russia in Pool B on June 28 in La Habana at 00:40 (+1d). Week six will feature Serbia again, this time taking on Italy in Novi Sad on July 6 at 18:00 in Pool B. In week 7 fans will be able to watch one of the biggest rivalries in volleyball when Brazil host USA in a Pool A match in Rio de Janeiro on July 13 at 13:00. All times are GMT.
In 2011 the ‘Match of the Week’ was broadcast by 19 international broadcasters across 53 territories. Highlights of all the matches also appeared in the 26 minute FIVB World League highlight, produced and distributed by IMG once a week. Like this year, all matches were shown live and on demand on FIVB Web TV.
This year the English commentary for the matches will be provided by Phil Bush, a former player turned broadcaster who has worked for the FIVB to provide the Play by Play for the FIVB ‘Match of the Week.’ He has spent 17 seasons working for Fox SportsNet South, ESPNU, CSS and Sun Sports.
The FIVB Volleyball World League is set to start on Friday and run until July 14 with the Finals taking place in Mar del Plata, Argentina from July 17 to 21.
For more info contact the FIVB TV & Marketing Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball Media Guide Now Available
- 16 clubs compete for African queen's title
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship