CEV launches inaugural Beach Volleyball Summer Festival
Luxembourg, May 27, 2013. In order to further develop Beach Volleyball by reaching young players throughout Europe, the CEV did recently establish the Beach Volleyball Summer Festival with two highlights coming up in the next weeks in the Netherlands and England respectively.
The beach of Scheveningen, Netherlands, will play host to one of two events included on the program of the inaugural CEV Beach Volleyball Summer Festival |
“The introduction of the Beach Volleyball Summer Festival does fulfil our intention to expand our development projects with the long-term goal to support the sport and get as many young people as possible introduced to Beach Volleyball” CEV President André Meyer says. “We are starting this ambitious project by supporting two youth festivals in the Netherlands and England. Though they differ in their concept, they share the same ultimate goal which is to make sure the young generations get to know Beach Volleyball and especially get to feel the uniqueness of this sport that has turned into one of the most successful and popular disciplines included on the Olympic program”.
As the Dutch Volleyball Federation (NeVoBo) will be hosting the 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championship in The Hague, the organizers have decided to attempt a world record in conjunction with that event, i.e. to set up 500 Beach Volleyball courts there in Scheveningen where amateur players will be able to compete and enjoy the unique flavour of this sport. This follows up on the very successful premiere celebrated last year by the time Scheveningen did host the European Beach Volleyball Championship – Final and with the support of CEV and Mikasa, the organizers aim at seeing the event grow in 2013 and 2014 to become the major Youth Beach Volleyball event in the Netherlands. The CEV will be supporting the festival – which is scheduled for June 15 – by providing Mikasa branded nets and Beach Volleyballs. The festival is not only addressed to young players but will be also developing the skills of sports teachers and coaches of clubs from all over the Netherlands. During the festival the Dutch Federation will organize a seminar for its youth Beach Volleyball coaches.
The second event included on the program of the inaugural CEV Beach Volleyball Summer Festival is the Sandbanks Beach Volleyball Festival scheduled for July 5-7 at Sandbanks Beach, Poole, England. A total of 20 separate age group and gender competitions – including the British Junior Beach Volleyball Championships and the English South West Regional Junior Beach Volleyball Championships – will be held there on 40 up to 45 courts on a natural sand beach.
The event – promoted by Volleyball England – follows up on the unique legacy of the London Olympics and is most likely to deliver new and committed Beach Volleyball players. Once the festival comes to a close, the balls and nets provided by CEV and its partner Mikasa will be used to support 3 key youth projects in the South West of England. One of such projects is part of a wider Volleyball academy being run by former GBR assistant coach Joel Banks with GBR Olympians Ben Pipes and Dan Hunter as the Volleyball coaches. A former FIVB World Tour player, Denise Austin, will be running a series of Junior King & Queen of the beaches on some of the UK’s best seaside resorts throughout the summer where nets and balls provided by CEV and Mikasa will be used too. Moreover, the technical equipment to be dispatched for the Sandbanks Summer Festival will be used also by the Wessex Volleyball Club to run Beach Volleyball sessions each evening and at weekends.
- Sada Cruzeiro and Minas Tênis Clube to host 2016 edition of Men's Club World Championship
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016