International U19 tournament in memory of Yuri Chesnokov
Anapa, Russia, May 24, 2013 - An international U19 volleyball tournament will be held at the ‘Volley Grad’ near Anapa from May 23 to 25 in memory of Yuri Chesnokov.
In 2000, Yuri Chesnokov was the first non-American athlete to be inducted into the Volleyball Hall of Fame in Holyoke (USA). In the same year, Russia awarded him the title of "Sports Legend of the Past Century."
Russia, Mexico Poland, Argentina and Serbia are the five junior (U19) teams scheduled to take part in the tournament. The first four teams have qualified for the 2013 World Championships in Mexico from June 27 to July 7.
Yuri Chesnokov (1933 - 2010) was a legendary volleyball player and coach who was part of the USSR team from 1955 to 1964. He was Olympic champion in 1964, two-time world champion (1960 and 1962) and eight-time champion of the USSR.
He later took over as coach of the USSR men's team (1970-1976) and was also vice-president of the International Volleyball Federation from 2002 to 2008.
Over his career he helped the men's volleyball team, CSKA Moscow, win the title of USSR champion ten times and the European Cup, five times.
From 1970 to 1976 he also coached the men's national team of the USSR, which were twice Olympic silver medallists (1972 and 1976), silver medallists of the 1974 World Cup and two-time European champions (1971 and 1975). From 1976 to 1983 he was also head coach of the Armed Forces of Volleyball and led the women’s volleyball team CSKA from 1983 to 1984.
Over a span of 30 years, Yuri Chesnokov was also a member of the Governing Council and the Executive Committee as well as the vice-president of the FIVB (1976-1992, 1994-1998, 2002-2008). Prior to 1992 he was vice-president of the Volleyball Federation of the USSR, and from1996 to 1999 he was vice-president of the Russian Volleyball Federation. In the last years of his life he was also chairman of the coaching committee IEF.
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament