International U19 tournament in memory of Yuri Chesnokov
Anapa, Russia, May 24, 2013 - An international U19 volleyball tournament will be held at the ‘Volley Grad’ near Anapa from May 23 to 25 in memory of Yuri Chesnokov.
In 2000, Yuri Chesnokov was the first non-American athlete to be inducted into the Volleyball Hall of Fame in Holyoke (USA). In the same year, Russia awarded him the title of "Sports Legend of the Past Century."
Russia, Mexico Poland, Argentina and Serbia are the five junior (U19) teams scheduled to take part in the tournament. The first four teams have qualified for the 2013 World Championships in Mexico from June 27 to July 7.
Yuri Chesnokov (1933 - 2010) was a legendary volleyball player and coach who was part of the USSR team from 1955 to 1964. He was Olympic champion in 1964, two-time world champion (1960 and 1962) and eight-time champion of the USSR.
He later took over as coach of the USSR men's team (1970-1976) and was also vice-president of the International Volleyball Federation from 2002 to 2008.
Over his career he helped the men's volleyball team, CSKA Moscow, win the title of USSR champion ten times and the European Cup, five times.
From 1970 to 1976 he also coached the men's national team of the USSR, which were twice Olympic silver medallists (1972 and 1976), silver medallists of the 1974 World Cup and two-time European champions (1971 and 1975). From 1976 to 1983 he was also head coach of the Armed Forces of Volleyball and led the women’s volleyball team CSKA from 1983 to 1984.
Over a span of 30 years, Yuri Chesnokov was also a member of the Governing Council and the Executive Committee as well as the vice-president of the FIVB (1976-1992, 1994-1998, 2002-2008). Prior to 1992 he was vice-president of the Volleyball Federation of the USSR, and from1996 to 1999 he was vice-president of the Russian Volleyball Federation. In the last years of his life he was also chairman of the coaching committee IEF.
- Iran, Japan, China, Chinese Taipei reach AVC Cup semifinals
- Angela Leyva in rising orbit ahead of 2017 Grand Prix Group 2
- Ricardo and Andre win Brazil Tour opener
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- “It’s been a long season”
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”
- As the Mikasa Turns - Bansley & Pavan "split" conversation
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- TALKIN’ STATS: Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Preview
- Toronto's Tuesday Trial - Pavan’s pristine picture?