International U19 tournament in memory of Yuri Chesnokov
Anapa, Russia, May 24, 2013 - An international U19 volleyball tournament will be held at the ‘Volley Grad’ near Anapa from May 23 to 25 in memory of Yuri Chesnokov.
In 2000, Yuri Chesnokov was the first non-American athlete to be inducted into the Volleyball Hall of Fame in Holyoke (USA). In the same year, Russia awarded him the title of "Sports Legend of the Past Century."
Russia, Mexico Poland, Argentina and Serbia are the five junior (U19) teams scheduled to take part in the tournament. The first four teams have qualified for the 2013 World Championships in Mexico from June 27 to July 7.
Yuri Chesnokov (1933 - 2010) was a legendary volleyball player and coach who was part of the USSR team from 1955 to 1964. He was Olympic champion in 1964, two-time world champion (1960 and 1962) and eight-time champion of the USSR.
He later took over as coach of the USSR men's team (1970-1976) and was also vice-president of the International Volleyball Federation from 2002 to 2008.
Over his career he helped the men's volleyball team, CSKA Moscow, win the title of USSR champion ten times and the European Cup, five times.
From 1970 to 1976 he also coached the men's national team of the USSR, which were twice Olympic silver medallists (1972 and 1976), silver medallists of the 1974 World Cup and two-time European champions (1971 and 1975). From 1976 to 1983 he was also head coach of the Armed Forces of Volleyball and led the women’s volleyball team CSKA from 1983 to 1984.
Over a span of 30 years, Yuri Chesnokov was also a member of the Governing Council and the Executive Committee as well as the vice-president of the FIVB (1976-1992, 1994-1998, 2002-2008). Prior to 1992 he was vice-president of the Volleyball Federation of the USSR, and from1996 to 1999 he was vice-president of the Russian Volleyball Federation. In the last years of his life he was also chairman of the coaching committee IEF.
- 2014 FIVB World Tour debuts at FIVB Fuzhou Open
- Two undefeated teams head into last preliminary match of Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Phil Dalhausser looks to climb back to the top in beach volleyball
- Watch: Drawing of Lots reviews capture excitement of FIVB World Championships
- Fuzhou gets ready for first FIVB beach volleyball event of the year
- Pepe magic helping Paraguay toward Nanjing dream
- Tianjin, Taipei undefeated, Hisamitsu lead Pool A after day 3 of Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Fuzhou Open Q&A: Get to know China's beach volleyball stars
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball Media Guide now available
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina