Former world champ Baracetti expects US-Brazil medal chase
Lausanne, Switzerland, May 21, 2013 – As Corrientes makes the final preparations for the Grand Slam tournament scheduled to start tomorrow, home grown talent Mariano Baracetti is eagerly anticipating the action.
Mariano Baracetti was one half of the duo who won the 2001 World Championships in Klagenfurt. Along with team mate Martin Conde, they were the only non-Brazilian men’s team of the time to claim the title.|
He was a keen viewer of the two opening tournaments of the 2013 Beach Volleyball season – the Fuzhou Open and Shanghai Grand Slam – which were won by two USA teams. Phil Dalhausser and his new partner Sean Rosenthal won in Fuzhou, while Rosenthal’s former partner Jacob Gibb and Casey Patterson claimed gold in Shanghai.
Reigning World Champions from Brazil, Alison Cerutti and Emanuel Rego missed the two tournaments as Alison had suffered a finger injury, but Baracetti expects the Olympic silver medallists to be on the podium again.
“I'm sure there will be some American and Brazilian teams leading the charts,” Baracetti said. “I'm going for Dalhausser and Rosenthal and Emanuel and Alison.
“The gold for Dalhausser and Rosenthal proves that they can be in top shape this season. The semifinal against Ricardo Santos and Alvaro Filho was amazing, very tight. Maybe that match had something to do with the Brazilians losing the bronze medal, but the pair from Austria (Robin Seidl and Alexander Huber) were also very interesting.”
Mariano Baracetti knows exactly what it takes to win having won gold at the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships in Klagenfurt in 2001 with partner Martin Conde. The Argentine duo had only been together a matter of months when they surprised the field and defeated the much fancied Ricardo and Jose Loiola in the final that year.
Brazilian player Ricardo is still going strong at the age of 38 and he and his new partner Alvaro Filho won their first medal together with a bronze in Shanghai. However, they were denied another win in Fuzhou after losing to Austrian duo Seidl and Huber in the match for third place.
Baracetti feels there could be other pairs from Europe ready to challenge the traditional US-Brazilian dominance. “Of the European teams, I like the style of the Polish ones (Grzegorz Fijalek and Mariusz Prudel), if they keep the same pairing, and also the Spaniards (Adrian Gavira and Christian Garcia), if they don't suffer injuries.”
The Argentinean city of Corrientes makes its debut on the 2013 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour when it will host the Corrientes Grand Slam from May 22 to 26. Although this is the first time that Corrientes is on the World Tour circuit, the city of Mar del Plata has already hosted five men’s events while Buenos Aires held one women's event in 2005.
- Sada Cruzeiro and Minas Tênis Clube to host 2016 edition of Men's Club World Championship
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016