USA to host first FIVB event since 2003 at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
Lausanne, Switzerland, May 7, 2013 – It has been a decade in the making, but the wait should be worth it when the world’s best professional beach volleyball players return to the United States in sunny Southern California for the FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam. There is a total of US$440,000 up for grabs at the event, which will take place from July 22 to 28.
Following Misty May-Treanor's retirement last year only Kerri Walsh-Jennings is expected to play at the Long Beach Grand Slam in July this year|
This is the 10th FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour double-gender event in the USA, which includes the FIVB World Championships in Los Angeles in 1997 and the 2003 event at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Carson, California.
This year’s FIVB World Tour Grand Slams is using a pool format. Long Beach will begin with a one-day qualification tournament to determine the final eight spots in each gender’s 32-team main draw tournaments followed by round-robin pool play, where pools of four will play three matches each, with a single-elimination bracket for the final 24 teams (the top three from each pool).
Women will begin play on Monday, July 22 and conclude with medal matches on Saturday, July 27. The men’s action will start on Tuesday, July 23, culminating with the men’s medal matches on Sunday, July 28.
In the first nine years of USA men’s tournaments, Brazil has won five gold medals, Norway has won two and the USA has won one. Likewise in the USA women’s tournaments, Brazil has won six gold medals and the USA has won three.
Even though it has been 10 years since a world tour event has been held in the United States, three of the previous medal winners in the US tournaments are still active. On the men’s side Brazil’s Emanuel Rego and Ricardo Santos are still playing and for the women, USA’s Kerri Walsh-Jennings is still competing.
Emanuel, the beach volleyball player with the hihest number of wins, has won four medals in FIVB events in the USA which include a silver medal in 1995, a bronze in 1996 playing with Ze Marco de Melo, a gold medal in 2000 with Jose Loiola and then another in 2003 with Ricardo. Ricardo also earned a silver medal in 2000 playing with Ze Marco.
Walsh-Jennings won the gold medal in 2003 playing with Misty May-Treanor. After winning an unprecedented third gold medal at the London 2012 Olympics, May-Treanor retired from playing and Walsh-Jennings is on maternity leave following the birth of her third child. However, Walsh-Jennings is expected to be back in action in time for this year’s FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam.
The women’s team with the most number of wins in FIVB history in USA events has been Brazil’s 1996 Olympic Gold Medalists Sandra Pires/Jackie Silva who together won four gold medals in USA events, including the 1997 FIVB World Championships held at UCLA.
The 2013 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour comprises 10 Grand Slam events and the 2013 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships. Not part of the World Tour but still counting towards the FIVB World Rankings, the FIVB yearly calendar also includes eight Open events throughout the world to help open the door for development of the sport. The FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam will be sixth of the season, starting the second half of the 2013 FIVB World Tour.
Overall in the FIVB men’s medals’ race in the USA, Brazil leads with 11 medals followed by the United States with seven, Argentina, Norway and Switzerland with two each and Canada with one.
Brazil and the United States are tied in in the FIVB’s overall women’s medal count in the USA with 12 each, with Australia earning the other three.
Long Beach is a city situated in Los Angeles County in Southern California, on the Pacific coast of the United States. The city is the 36th-largest city in the nation and the seventh-largest in California with a population of nearly 475,000. In addition, Long Beach is the second largest city within the Greater Los Angeles Area and after Los Angeles is the principal city of the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana metropolitan area.
- Tianjin, Taipei undefeated, Hisamitsu lead Pool A after day 3 of Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Fuzhou Open Q&A: Get to know China's beach volleyball stars
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball Media Guide now available
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway