Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Niger and Ivory Coast qualify for FIVB Beach Volleyball U23 World Championships
Abidjan, Ivory Coast, April 23, 2013 - Nigeria men’s and women’s teams captured the 2013 CAVB U23 Beach Volleyball Cup for African Zones 1, 2 and 3 (northern and western Africa) held in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire following their victory over Sierra Leone in the final in both genders on Tuesday.
The FIVB U23 World Championships will be held in Poland from June 6 to 9|
The competition, which started on Wednesday, acted as a qualifier for the FIVB U23 World Championships to be held in Myslowice, Poland from June 6 to 9 as the top three teams of each gender secured their tickets for the elite event. A second Africa qualifier for African Zones 4, 5, 6 and 7 finished on Wednesday in Mombasa, Kenya.
Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Niger men’s teams made their way to the FIVB U23 World Championship, while in the women's category Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Ivory Coast qualified.
Nigeria beat Sierra Leone in the men's final 2-0 (21-12, 22-20) while Niger overcame Ivory Coast 2-0 (21-13, 21-7) in the bronze medal match.
The men’s competition featured five countries in a round-robin tournament followed by a knock out stage between the top four teams where the top teams played the final while the third and fourth played for the bronze medal.
In the women’s competition, Nigeria outclassed Sierra Leone in the final 2-0 (21-9, 21-8) in the final and Ivory Coast beat Benin 2-0 (21-19, 21-17) for the bronze medal.
Four countries played in the women’s competition also in round robin followed by a final between the top two teams and a bronze medal match between the third and fourth ranked teams.
- Brazil remain on top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games