Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Niger and Ivory Coast qualify for FIVB Beach Volleyball U23 World Championships
Abidjan, Ivory Coast, April 23, 2013 - Nigeria men’s and women’s teams captured the 2013 CAVB U23 Beach Volleyball Cup for African Zones 1, 2 and 3 (northern and western Africa) held in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire following their victory over Sierra Leone in the final in both genders on Tuesday.
The FIVB U23 World Championships will be held in Poland from June 6 to 9|
The competition, which started on Wednesday, acted as a qualifier for the FIVB U23 World Championships to be held in Myslowice, Poland from June 6 to 9 as the top three teams of each gender secured their tickets for the elite event. A second Africa qualifier for African Zones 4, 5, 6 and 7 finished on Wednesday in Mombasa, Kenya.
Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Niger men’s teams made their way to the FIVB U23 World Championship, while in the women's category Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Ivory Coast qualified.
Nigeria beat Sierra Leone in the men's final 2-0 (21-12, 22-20) while Niger overcame Ivory Coast 2-0 (21-13, 21-7) in the bronze medal match.
The men’s competition featured five countries in a round-robin tournament followed by a knock out stage between the top four teams where the top teams played the final while the third and fourth played for the bronze medal.
In the women’s competition, Nigeria outclassed Sierra Leone in the final 2-0 (21-9, 21-8) in the final and Ivory Coast beat Benin 2-0 (21-19, 21-17) for the bronze medal.
Four countries played in the women’s competition also in round robin followed by a final between the top two teams and a bronze medal match between the third and fourth ranked teams.
- Bidding process for 2017 World League Finals launched
- Ricardo and Andre win Brazil Tour opener
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- “It’s been a long season”
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”
- As the Mikasa Turns - Bansley & Pavan "split" conversation
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- TALKIN’ STATS: Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Preview
- Toronto's Tuesday Trial - Pavan’s pristine picture?
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016