Unstoppable run for Austria’s Huber and Seidl in Fuzhou
Fuzhou, China, April 26, 2013 – Alexander Huber and Robin Seidl from Austria continue an outstanding run all the way from the Qualification Tournament to win all three matches of the day, earning a place in the semi-final at the Fuzhou Open in China.
Alexander Huber and Robin Seidl from Austria continue a formidable run at the Fuzhou Open |
Bottom seeded Huber and Seidl’s first match of the day was an epic battle with USA legend Todd Rogers and new partner Ryan Doherty, ending with the Austrian underdogs winning 2-1 (15-21, 24-22, 15-13).
Another USA clash came in the second round against Jacob Gibb and Casey Patterson, but the Austrians remained unfazed with another victory 2-0 (21-18, 21-18). In the quarter final and their third match of the day, Huber and Seidl took Alexander Brouwer and Robert Meeuwsen from The Netherlands all the way to the third set, finally earning them a spot in the semi-finals 2-1 (18-21, 21-10, 15-11).
Huber and Seidl face Italy’s Nicolai Paolo and Daniele Lupo in the first semi-final followed by USA’s Sean Rosenthal and Philip Dalhausser against Brazilians Ricardo Alex Costa Santos and Álvaro Morais Filho on Saturday.
Six of the eight teams who entered the Main Draw from the Qualification Tournament advanced to the first round of pool play in the morning. Of the six, Huber and Seidl, along with Russian pairs Serguei Prokopiev and Yury Bogatov, and Konstantin Semenov and Yaroslav Koshkarev made up the three pairs to make it through to the second round.
The second round was then the end of the road for the Russians, but the Austrians proved unstoppable.
“We’re speechless. It feels unreal, it’s a great feeling,” said Huber. “I’m looking forward to tomorrow, I think there will be a good crowd. The podium would be the greatest thing ever.”
“It was tough against the Dutch team. They started really well and we’d played them before in the tournament so we knew it would be a tough match and they started to bump serves at us and we couldn’t find our rhythm, but in the second set we flipped the script and started to serve more aggressively.”
“We wanted to play a good match against Rogers, we played once against him and we lost. It was just amazing to play against him because he’s kind of a legend for us and we played well and it was really close and it just happened that we won the first match and it was unbelievable,” said Seidl.
“The second match we were in flow and we enjoyed playing. The last match was really tough, to warm up again, it was a long day here. It was hard to find the game but we played really, really well and it was a good match.”
Italy’s Nicolai Paolo and Daniele Lupo are safely through to the semi-finals after winning a tough match against Brazil’s Pedro Solberg Salgado and Bruno Oscar Schmidt 2-0 (23-21, 21-19).
Topping Pool D, Paolo and Lupo progressed directly into the second round of the single elimination phase meeting Russians Serguei Prokopiev and Yury Bogatov in their first match of the day. The Italians made light work of the match, winning in just 30 minutes 2-0 (21-8, 21-14).
Their third round match proved more of a challenge against Pedro and Bruno.
“I’m really proud of us because we played a really good match. They are Brazilian so they have already played in tournaments this year and for us it’s the first of the year and so it’s a good result,” said Paolo.
“We have been improving match by match and so we hope that tomorrow we can play better than today.”
Fuzhou, capital of the Fujian province lies on the southeast coast of mainland China and hosts the Open event for the first time. The city held the AVC Beach Volleyball Continental Cup in 2012 where Christopher McHugh and Isaac Kapa were part of the silver medal Australian team.
The Fuzhou Open is the first of eight Open events during a bumper nine-month season, which also includes the FIVB World Tour – 10 Grand Slams and the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships in Stare Jablonki, Poland.
The Shanghai Grand Slam is the next tournament on the calendar running from April 30 to May 5.
Please click here for full results and schedule of the Men’s Main Draw
Follow live comments throughout the tournament at #FuzhouOpen
- Watch: Drawing of Lots reviews capture excitement of FIVB World Championships
- Fuzhou gets ready for first FIVB beach volleyball event of the year
- Pepe magic helping Paraguay toward Nanjing dream
- Tianjin, Taipei undefeated, Hisamitsu lead Pool A after day 3 of Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Fuzhou Open Q&A: Get to know China's beach volleyball stars
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball Media Guide now available
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour