Dampney & Boulton defeat Brazil to make Fuzhou Main Draw
Fuzhou, China, April 24, 2013 – Back-to-back Qualification Tournament wins from England's Zara Dampney and Lucy Boulton’s secured them a spot in the Fuzhou Open women's Main Draw after defeating top seeded qualifiers Maria Clara Salgado Rufino and Carolina Solberg Salgado from Brazil on Wednesday.
England's Zara Dampney (right) and Lucy Boulton celebrate after beating top seeded qualifiers Maria Clara Salgado Rufino and Carolina Solberg Salgado from Brazil |
Dampney and Boulton successfully made it through their first qualification match in the morning beating Galindo Andrea and Galindo Claudia of Colombia 21-16, 21-15. In a difficult draw the new British pairing then faced the Brazilian top seeds, but emerged triumphant securing themselves a Main Draw position 21-16, 21-19.
Against the odds
Dampney and Boulton are no strangers to performing on the international stage having played with different partners since 2007. Even when they did play together in 2008 they're best result was 17th while they're first foray on the FIVB scene at the Junior World Championships saw them finish 37th. Their new partnership proved a good match during their first FIVB outing in 2013 against the experienced Brazilians.
“Feel really good just buzzing really, obviously the top seed in the qualifier, we knew it was a tough draw when we got it last night," Boulton said. “But we’ve been working really hard in this pre-season and we’re a new team so there’s always stuff to work on and we really delivered today so we're really pleased.
“When we were at breakfast people were asking us who have you got next and when we said Brazil I said to Zara, I don’t think anyone is really expecting us to win. But we knew we had it in us as we’ve been working really hard and today it paid off.”
Point for point
In a point for point match against Germany’s Jana Köhler and Anni Schumacher, Poland’s Kinga Kolosinska and Monika Brzostek managed to hold for the win (19-21, 21-19, 19-17) as the rain drops began to fall in Fuzhou.
Earlier in the day the Polish women beat China’s Chen Chunxia and Wei Zhaochen (19-21, 21-16, 15-7) with the day’s success earning them a spot in the Main Draw.
“We are really lucky that we made it," Brzostek said. "It was really tough to play here especially against this team, because in former matches we were losing all the time. We are really happy, happy and one more happy.
“We wanted to for sure qualify for the Main Draw and we did it so right now we need to focus on the Main Draw matches. Keep your fingers crossed that we do well.”
The result means Kolosinska and Brzostek along with Dampney and Boulton make up two of the eight teams that progress into the Main Draw which begins on Thursday.
Fuzhou, capital of the Fujian province lies on the southeast coast of mainland China and hosts the Open event for the first time. The city held the AVC Beach Volleyball Continental Cup in 2012 where Taliqua Clancy was part of the winning Australian team.
The Fuzhou Open is the first of eight Open events during a bumper nine-month season, which also includes the FIVB World Tour – 10 Grand Slams and the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships in Stare Jablonki, Poland.
The Shanghai Grand Slam is the next tournament on the calendar running from April 30 to May 5.
Click here for full results of the Women’s Qualification Tournament
Live comments throughout the tournament can be found on Twitter at #FuzhouOpen
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Puerto Rico hosts NORCECA Final Qualifiers to Nanjing
- Germany’s mentor Vital Heynen shares goals and vision ahead of international season
- Rules of the Game Volleyball Case Book available for download
- Underdogs hope to pull off surprises in Asian Men's Club Championship
- One million dollars in prize money up for grabs at Transavia and Long Beach Grand Slams
- Palestine stages mini-volleyball festival in Bethlehem
- Venezuela and Paraguay take gold in third stage of Youth Olympic Games qualification
- Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Thailand claim two berths apiece for Nanjing Youth Olympics
- Celebrating the power of sport