Cès & Rowlandson beat top seeds to enter Fuzhou Main Draw
China, April 23, 2013 – Andy Cès and Edouard Rowlandson from France knocked out
top seeded qualifiers Clemens Doppler and Alexander Horst from Austria to
progress into the Main Draw at the Fuzhou Open in China.
Andy Cès from France and Austrian Alexander Horst meet at the net as the French team progress into the Main Draw|
The tournament is the first of eight Open events during the bumper nine-month
season in 2013, which also includes the FIVB World Tour.
The newly formed French team got off to a great start beating Dmitriy Yakovlev
and Kuleshov Alexey from Kazakhstan in straight sets, 21-10, 21-17, in one of
the opening matches of the tournament.
Cès and Rowlandson then faced top seeds of the Men’s Qualification Tournament,
Clemens Doppler and Alexander Horst after the Austrians received a bye in the
first round. The French took the first game and held on into the third set to
win 21-23, 21-18, 11-15.
“I’m really pleased as it’s my first experience in this kind of competition
and also qualifying for the Main Draw is my first time, so I’m really excited,”
The French pair knew that they would have a tough match against the 2007
European champions, Doppler and Horst.
“It’s always the case against these Austrians. They are a really good team, but
I think we could have been a little bit calmer than them and I think it really
helped us at the end.
“It’s been a warm day here in Fuzhou so we maybe kept a little more energy than
them,” said Cès.
“There is a big difference in our experience compared with Doppler and Horst.
We are a new team and I’m a rookie.
“We have been playing together for 3 weeks now and we’re working hard to work
on our relationship both on and outside the court, so it’s a discovery
everyday,” said Rowlandson.
In their second match of the day Chile’s Esteban Grimalt and Marco Grimalt just
missed out on a spot in the Main Draw after losing a close fought match against
Italian pair Matteo Ingrosso and Paolo Ingrosso 21-23, 23-21, 15-17.
“I feel a little bit angry, the match was very close, but now we’re just
thinking about the competition next week,” said Esteban Grimalt.
The Grimalt cousins are the only team from Chile to have played on the World
Tour and beat Chinese duo Zhang Lizeng and Li Zhuoxin earlier in the day 19-21,
“That was not such a good match for us, many errors. The good thing was that we
were 6-1 down in the third set and we won,” said Esteban Grimalt.
The result means the Ingrosso twins make up one of the eight teams that
progress into the Main Draw which begins on Wednesday.
Fuzhou, capital of Fujian province lies on the southeast coast of mainland
China and hosts the Open event for the first time. The city held the AVC Beach
Volleyball Continental Cup in 2012 where Cristopher McHugh and Isaac Kapa were
part of the silver medal Australian team.
The Fuzhou Open is the first of eight Open events during a ninth-month season,
which also includes the FIVB World Tour – 10 Grand Slams and the FIVB Beach
Volleyball World Championships in Stare Jablonki, Poland.
The Shanghai Grand Slam is the next tournament on the calendar running from
April 30 to May 5.
click here for full results of the Men’s Qualification Tournament and live
comments throughout the tournament can be found on at #FuzhouOpen.
- Poland, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Bulgaria assume early pool leadership in World Grand Prix
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 11 events
- Elisa Togut looks ahead to Women's World Championship
- Social Timeline: Golden fun in the Long Beach sun
- Social Timeline: New format, same excitement as 2014 Grand Prix begins
- Historic success for Mexico
- USA’s Dalhausser & Rosenthal net third 2014 World Tour gold
- Ross/Walsh Jennings capture women’s gold on home sand
- Back-to-back Larnaka gold for Poland’s Bryl and Kujawiak
- Four European teams keep spotless win-records in World Grand Prix
- Brazil to battle USA Sunday for Long Beach women’s gold
- Men’s Long Beach final between Poland, USA
- U21 World Championships in Larnaka down to last eight
- Collin cites competition
- Kenya stand as sole debutant winner on World Grand Prix opener
- Two USA duos along with Germany, Poland win quarterfinals Friday in Long Beach
- Women’s elite eight ready for quarterfinals and semis in Long Beach
- Top teams thrive at U21 World Championships
- Lima is ready for the World Grand Prix
- Akers applies authentic accentuate
- Africa Queens land in Mexico for FIVB World Grand Prix
- Mexico to stage first weekend of FIVB World Grand Prix Pool Q matches
- 24 Men’s teams set for Long Beach single-elimination rounds
- Women’s field reduced to 24 for single-elimination rounds in Long Beach
- Main draw of the FIVB U21 World Championships on its way
- Beach Volleyball under the Big “T.O.P.”
- World Grand Prix statistical preview: Brazil eye back-to-back titles
- 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Media Guide online
- Peru intensify workouts ahead of World Grand Prix
- Kazakhstan bring in experience for World Grand Prix opening weekend in Almaty
- Argentina prepare for first weekend of World Grand Prix
- Five teams make their debuts as record-breaking FIVB World Grand Prix gets underway
- World Grand Prix: Bigger and better than ever
- 1986: USA bring a halt to East European dominance
- World League's top four USA, Brazil, Italy and Iran contribute to Dream Team
- 13 Women’s duos win first two of three rounds of Pool Play Wednesday at Alamitos Beach
- Men complete first of three rounds of Pool Play at Long Beach
- Researcher reaps rewards
- Eight qualification winners and five lucky losers make it into U21 main draw
- FIVB President holds FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship talks with JVA and TBS
- “Best ever”: USA and the sport of volleyball are winners as the FIVB World League celebrates its 25th anniversary
- Italian Prime Minister attends FIVB World League Finals in Florence
- ASICS World Series of Beach Volleyball, a $1,000,000 FIVB Grand Slam in Long Beach
- Finding Stars on Alamitos Beach
- Andrea Zorzi: Speed is at the heart of modern volleyball
- World League performances reshuffle world ranking
- Algeria to host Women's U18 and U23 African Nations Championships
- Talking Stats: 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour - July 21
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 10 events
- Social Timeline: The Netherlands put on a Grand Slam show