Doppler and Horst top seeds in Fuzhou Open Men's Qualification Tournament
Fuzhou, China, April 22, 2013 – European champion in 2007, Clemens Doppler and partner Alexander Horst of Austria are the top seeds for the Men’s Qualification Tournament of the Fuzhou Open in China, which starts on Tuesday.
Clemens Doppler (right) and Alexander Horst from Austria are top seeds in Men's Qualification Tournament beginning on the first day of the Fuzhou Open|
A total of 28 teams were seeded following Monday’s technical meeting for the Qualification Tournament with Doppler, who has been playing since 1996 and finished second at the Stare Jablonki Grand Slam last year after teaming up with Alexander Horst at the start of last year, topping the draw.
The top four seeds received a bye in the first of two qualifying rounds.
The seeds are based on the individual players' points tally, with 2012 Olympic bronze medallist Latvia’s Martins Plavins seeded second with new partner Janis Peda, Brazil’s Hevaldo Sabino Moreira and Thiago Santos Barbosa third, and Russia’s Serguei Prokopiev and Yury Bogatov fourth.
The top eight teams from the Qualification Tournament will join the 24 Main Draw teams starting on Wednesday.
The Fuzhou Open kicks off the FIVB Beach Volleyball season of 2013, held from April 23-28. USA’s Phil Dalhausser and Sean Rosenthal are expected to be top seeds for the Main Draw after injury forced out world champions and Olympic silver medallists Alison Cerutti and Emanuel Rego.
The Men’s Main Draw technical meeting will take place on Tuesday evening (local time).
Fuzhou, capital of Fujian province lies on the southeast coast of mainland China and hosts an FIVB Open for the first time. The city held the AVC Beach Volleyball Continental Cup in 2012 where Cristopher McHugh and Isaac Kapa were part of the silver medal winning Australian team.
The Fuzhou Open is the first of eight Open events during a bumper ninth-month season, which also includes the FIVB World Tour – 10 Grand Slams and the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships in Stare Jablonki, Poland.
The Shanghai Grand Slam is the next tournament on the calendar running from April 30 to May 5.
- Brazil, Russia get big opening wins in World Grand Prix
- FIVB U19 World Championships in Porto move into knockout phase
- USA’s DeFalco/Richard bounce back to move into second round in Porto
- 16 Men’s teams still standing Friday at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Puerto Rico and Paraguay girls into last 16 at the U19 World Championships
- Women’s final four ready for Saturday’s finale at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Venezuela tops the pool with swinging beach volleyball at the U19
- Caps, cake and first place for the McNamara twins
- Early pool winners at the FIVB U19 World Championships
- Big game ahead for France and Argentina in pool C
- Brazil’s Arthur and George Wanderley love the art of beach volleyball
- Women’s field set for round of 16, quarterfinals at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Men’s pool play nets 12 undefeated teams at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Early birthday present for Brazil’s Eduarda at the U19 in Porto
- World Grand Prix 'Match of the week' programme focuses on Turkey-Russia
- 1990: Last World Championship title for the Soviet Union and first for Italy
- Gamova changes her mind, joins Russian national team for World Championship
- José Jardim, a promising player on and off the sand
- Top teams on track on the opening day of the U19 World Championships
- Perfect start for German and Russian girls at the U19 in Porto
- Venezuela takes early pool lead at the U19 World Championships
- Eleven unbeaten teams in women’s main draw at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Eight teams earn men’s main draw spots at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Lucky losers from Lithuania happy with second chance at the U19 in Porto
- Statistical preview: Brazil begin quest for tenth World Grand Prix title
- FIVB Men's World Championship draws near
- Eight qualifiers and six lucky losers into U19 World Championships main draw
- Welsch/Bieneck into U19 main draw with a little help from ‘big sis’ Victoria
- Eight teams advance to women’s main draw at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Australia’s Guehrer and Hunter take first stepping-stone at U19
- Vlado Nikolov returns to the fold for World Championships
- Iconic $800,000 FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam starts in Austria
- “Jenny” Lang Ping: a legendary wanderer between worlds
- World Grand Prix Week 2: Big twelve begin title chase
- Puerto Rico: “Soto-Man” makes experience count
- Talking Stats: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour—July 29
- Medal winners return to Porto for the U19 World Championships
- Poland, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Bulgaria assume early pool leadership in World Grand Prix
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 11 events
- Elisa Togut looks ahead to Women's World Championship
- Social Timeline: Golden fun in the Long Beach sun
- Social Timeline: New format, same excitement as 2014 Grand Prix begins
- Historic success for Mexico
- USA’s Dalhausser & Rosenthal net third 2014 World Tour gold
- Ross/Walsh Jennings capture women’s gold on home sand
- Back-to-back Larnaka gold for Poland’s Bryl and Kujawiak
- Four European teams keep spotless win-records in World Grand Prix
- Brazil to battle USA Sunday for Long Beach women’s gold
- Men’s Long Beach final between Poland, USA
- U21 World Championships in Larnaka down to last eight