Doppler and Horst top seeds in Fuzhou Open Men's Qualification Tournament
Fuzhou, China, April 22, 2013 – European champion in 2007, Clemens Doppler and partner Alexander Horst of Austria are the top seeds for the Men’s Qualification Tournament of the Fuzhou Open in China, which starts on Tuesday.
Clemens Doppler (right) and Alexander Horst from Austria are top seeds in Men's Qualification Tournament beginning on the first day of the Fuzhou Open|
A total of 28 teams were seeded following Monday’s technical meeting for the Qualification Tournament with Doppler, who has been playing since 1996 and finished second at the Stare Jablonki Grand Slam last year after teaming up with Alexander Horst at the start of last year, topping the draw.
The top four seeds received a bye in the first of two qualifying rounds.
The seeds are based on the individual players' points tally, with 2012 Olympic bronze medallist Latvia’s Martins Plavins seeded second with new partner Janis Peda, Brazil’s Hevaldo Sabino Moreira and Thiago Santos Barbosa third, and Russia’s Serguei Prokopiev and Yury Bogatov fourth.
The top eight teams from the Qualification Tournament will join the 24 Main Draw teams starting on Wednesday.
The Fuzhou Open kicks off the FIVB Beach Volleyball season of 2013, held from April 23-28. USA’s Phil Dalhausser and Sean Rosenthal are expected to be top seeds for the Main Draw after injury forced out world champions and Olympic silver medallists Alison Cerutti and Emanuel Rego.
The Men’s Main Draw technical meeting will take place on Tuesday evening (local time).
Fuzhou, capital of Fujian province lies on the southeast coast of mainland China and hosts an FIVB Open for the first time. The city held the AVC Beach Volleyball Continental Cup in 2012 where Cristopher McHugh and Isaac Kapa were part of the silver medal winning Australian team.
The Fuzhou Open is the first of eight Open events during a bumper ninth-month season, which also includes the FIVB World Tour – 10 Grand Slams and the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships in Stare Jablonki, Poland.
The Shanghai Grand Slam is the next tournament on the calendar running from April 30 to May 5.
- Brilliant Barbara, Fabulous Fernanda newest Brazilian beach duo
- Iran, China to clash in final of Men's AVC Cup
- Olympic champs Ludwig and Walkenhorst aiming for new heights
- Bidding process opened for 2017 Men's Club World Championship
- Iran, Japan, China, Chinese Taipei reach AVC Cup semifinals
- 2017 World League Finals bidding process launched
- Angela Leyva in rising orbit ahead of 2017 World Grand Prix Group 2
- Ricardo and Andre win Brazil Tour opener
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”