Doppler and Horst top seeds in Fuzhou Open Men's Qualification Tournament
Fuzhou, China, April 22, 2013 – European champion in 2007, Clemens Doppler and partner Alexander Horst of Austria are the top seeds for the Men’s Qualification Tournament of the Fuzhou Open in China, which starts on Tuesday.
Clemens Doppler (right) and Alexander Horst from Austria are top seeds in Men's Qualification Tournament beginning on the first day of the Fuzhou Open|
A total of 28 teams were seeded following Monday’s technical meeting for the Qualification Tournament with Doppler, who has been playing since 1996 and finished second at the Stare Jablonki Grand Slam last year after teaming up with Alexander Horst at the start of last year, topping the draw.
The top four seeds received a bye in the first of two qualifying rounds.
The seeds are based on the individual players' points tally, with 2012 Olympic bronze medallist Latvia’s Martins Plavins seeded second with new partner Janis Peda, Brazil’s Hevaldo Sabino Moreira and Thiago Santos Barbosa third, and Russia’s Serguei Prokopiev and Yury Bogatov fourth.
The top eight teams from the Qualification Tournament will join the 24 Main Draw teams starting on Wednesday.
The Fuzhou Open kicks off the FIVB Beach Volleyball season of 2013, held from April 23-28. USA’s Phil Dalhausser and Sean Rosenthal are expected to be top seeds for the Main Draw after injury forced out world champions and Olympic silver medallists Alison Cerutti and Emanuel Rego.
The Men’s Main Draw technical meeting will take place on Tuesday evening (local time).
Fuzhou, capital of Fujian province lies on the southeast coast of mainland China and hosts an FIVB Open for the first time. The city held the AVC Beach Volleyball Continental Cup in 2012 where Cristopher McHugh and Isaac Kapa were part of the silver medal winning Australian team.
The Fuzhou Open is the first of eight Open events during a bumper ninth-month season, which also includes the FIVB World Tour – 10 Grand Slams and the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships in Stare Jablonki, Poland.
The Shanghai Grand Slam is the next tournament on the calendar running from April 30 to May 5.
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Puerto Rico hosts NORCECA Final Qualifiers to Nanjing
- Germany’s mentor Vital Heynen shares goals and vision ahead of international season
- Rules of the Game Volleyball Case Book available for download
- Underdogs hope to pull of surprises in Asian Men's Club Championship
- One million dollars in prize money up for grabs at Transavia and Long Beach Grand Slams
- Palestine stages mini-volleyball festival in Bethlehem
- Venezuela and Paraguay take gold in third stage of Youth Olympic Games qualification
- Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Thailand claim two berths apiece for Nanjing Youth Olympics
- Celebrating the power of sport
- Volleyball will have a big role to play – President Graça
- Board praises FIVB direction under President Graça’s leadership
- FIVB Men’s World Championship ticket sales begin Monday
- Belgium women's coach receives Sport Science Award
- Board backs key World Championships
- World Championships medallists lead German teams at Shanghai Grand Slam