Doppler and Horst top seeds in Fuzhou Open Men's Qualification Tournament
Fuzhou, China, April 22, 2013 – European champion in 2007, Clemens Doppler and partner Alexander Horst of Austria are the top seeds for the Men’s Qualification Tournament of the Fuzhou Open in China, which starts on Tuesday.
Clemens Doppler (right) and Alexander Horst from Austria are top seeds in Men's Qualification Tournament beginning on the first day of the Fuzhou Open|
A total of 28 teams were seeded following Monday’s technical meeting for the Qualification Tournament with Doppler, who has been playing since 1996 and finished second at the Stare Jablonki Grand Slam last year after teaming up with Alexander Horst at the start of last year, topping the draw.
The top four seeds received a bye in the first of two qualifying rounds.
The seeds are based on the individual players' points tally, with 2012 Olympic bronze medallist Latvia’s Martins Plavins seeded second with new partner Janis Peda, Brazil’s Hevaldo Sabino Moreira and Thiago Santos Barbosa third, and Russia’s Serguei Prokopiev and Yury Bogatov fourth.
The top eight teams from the Qualification Tournament will join the 24 Main Draw teams starting on Wednesday.
The Fuzhou Open kicks off the FIVB Beach Volleyball season of 2013, held from April 23-28. USA’s Phil Dalhausser and Sean Rosenthal are expected to be top seeds for the Main Draw after injury forced out world champions and Olympic silver medallists Alison Cerutti and Emanuel Rego.
The Men’s Main Draw technical meeting will take place on Tuesday evening (local time).
Fuzhou, capital of Fujian province lies on the southeast coast of mainland China and hosts an FIVB Open for the first time. The city held the AVC Beach Volleyball Continental Cup in 2012 where Cristopher McHugh and Isaac Kapa were part of the silver medal winning Australian team.
The Fuzhou Open is the first of eight Open events during a bumper ninth-month season, which also includes the FIVB World Tour – 10 Grand Slams and the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships in Stare Jablonki, Poland.
The Shanghai Grand Slam is the next tournament on the calendar running from April 30 to May 5.
- The ABCs of Beach Volleyball - Agatha, Barbara and Consistency
- Brazilian women capture 19th gold in South American Championship
- The Fan Zone - SWATCH Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 6
- FIVB World Tour 2016 starts in Mexico with FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals
- Brazilian Beach Clinic
- Brazil record 30th title win in South American Championship
- Talita & Larissa net gold medal & “richest” prize
- Russian claim back-to-back European titles to cement status as Europe's Volleyball Queens
- Evandro & Pedro rebound for bronze medal finish
- Track stars become Beach Volleyball fans
- FIVB President Graça launches '9 goals' strategic plan
- Russia and the Netherlands to clash for European crown
- Beach Volleyball Impressions - 1981 from southern California to now in south Florida
- USA win third consecutive NORCECA title
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 4
- Brazil, Germany and USA pairs net Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals bracket berths
- USA face Dominican Republic in NORCECA Women’s Championship final
- Women’s EuroVolley semis are set; Russia play Serbia, Oranjes take on Turkey
- Brazilian world champions featured Wednesday
- Lost in America
- Italy, Poland, Belgium and Germany complete line-up for women’s EuroVolley quarterfinals
- “Wild Card” Tuesday at SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- 2017 Beach Volleyball World Championships bidding process extended
- SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals - Revised Side Court Schedule
- A mum who sides out
- Congress preparations in full swing as President Graça visits FeVA
- Netherlands, Russia, Serbia and Turkey progress to women's EuroVolley quarterfinals
- $500,000 Swatch FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Finals
this week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
- Brazilian city of Maceio host South American tournament calendar highlight
- Puerto Rican Aury Cruz ties own scoring record
- Russia lead men’s U21 rankings
- Dominican Republic top women’s U20 rankings
- Japan host successful outreach programme
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update after FIVB Xiamen Open
- Eight teams vie for South American Championship crown
- First FIVB World Tour gold for Switzerland's Heidrich/Zumkehr at Xiamen Open
- Milestone Saturday for Lucena & Dalhausser
- Zumkehr/Heidrich upset top seeds Wang/Yue to enter Xiamen Open semifinal
- Milestone gold medal for USA’s Lucena/Dalhausser in Xiamen Open
- Brazilian men stay top of FIVB World Ranking
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Participants Dalhausser & Lucena advance in China
- Latvia's Plavins/Regza storm to first FIVB World Tour semifinals at Xiamen Open
- Top seeds Yue/Wang unbeaten in pool play at Xiamen Open
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals participants beat the heat & humidity, stayin’ alive
- Nine berths still up for grabs as USA and Italy qualify for Rio
- Top seeds Wang/Yue off to good start in Main Draw at Xiamen Open
- President Graça praises outstanding World Cup
- Samoilovs/Smedins, Lucena/ Dalhausser reach last 16 at Xiamen Open
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Men's World Cup Japan 2015 - Final Day