Xue & Zhang Xi aim for successful season start in Fuzhou
Fuzhou, China, April 24, 2013 - Top seeds Chen Xue and Zhang Xi of China will take on England's Zara Dampney and Lucy Boulton in their opening match of the Fuzhou Open when the Main Draw begins on Thursday.
Chen Xue and Zhang Xi from China are home favourites at the Fuzhou Open|
Xue and Zhang Xi will be aiming to begin this World Championship year as they mean to go on against the new English pairing, who enter the Main Draw seeded 32nd after win their two qualification matches on Wednesday. With the absence of world champions Larissa França and Juliana Felisberta da Silva and London 2012 Olympic gold medallists Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh, it may be the year of the Chinese pair.
An impressive run for Xue and Zhang Xi in 2012 included gold in Brasilia, Shanghai, Moscow as well as silver in Berlin and bronze in Sanya before ending the year by retaining their Asian Championship title and finishing second behind Larissa and Juliana in the race to be World Tour champions.
USA’s Jennifer Kessy and April Ross, seeded fourth, will hope to get back on the podium after a relatively quiet 2012 with bronze in Rome and gold in Bangsaen, compared to five podium finishes in 2010 and seven in 2011. When in form, the pair is capable of great things, claiming the World Championship title in 2009 and silver at London 2012.
After many years of success, Brazil’s Maria Antonelli and Talita Da Rocha Antunes each enter Fuzhou with new partners. Antonelli joins 29-year-old Agatha Bednarczuk as the best ranked Brazilians, seeded fifth, while Talita is seeded seventh with Taiana Lima.
European challengers come from the Netherlands in the form of second seeds Sanne Keizer and Marleen van Iersel, who beat Xue and Zhang Xi on the way to silver in Gstaad Grand Slam last year and are the current European champions.
The Dutch pair took the European title last year from the 2011 champions, Italians Greta Cicolari and Marta Menegatti who are seeded third and collected bronze at last year's season opening event in Brasilia. The start of 2012 was particularly fruitful for Cicolari and Menegatti having won Beijing Grand Slam silver before going on to claim bronze at the Berlin and Gstaad Grand Slams and another silver at the Stare Jablonki Grand Slam. However, an FIVB gold still proves elusive.
The final of the women’s event takes place on April 28.
Fuzhou, capital of Fujian province lies on the southeast coast of mainland China and hosts the Open event for the first time. The city held the AVC Beach Volleyball Continental Cup in 2012 where Taliqua Clancy was part of the winning Australian team.
The Fuzhou Open is the first of eight Open events during a bumper ninth-month season, which also includes the FIVB World Tour – 10 Grand Slams and the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships in Stare Jablonki, Poland.
The Shanghai Grand Slam is the next tournament on the calendar running from April 30 to May 5.
Please click here for the Women’s Main Draw full schedule and live comments throughout the tournament can be found on Twitter at #FuzhouOpen.
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro wins battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcomes Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers