FIVB's new vision affirmed during Board meeting
Lausanne, Switzerland, April 5, 2013 – The first Board of Administration meeting under the presidency of Dr. Ary S. Graça F° came to a close at the FIVB headquarters in Lausanne on Friday with President Graça thanking the members for their valuable work and forward thinking.
Dr. Ary S. Graça F° was pleased with the input of all the members during his first Board of Administration meeting as FIVB President|
"We have a great opportunity to turn volleyball into one of the world's most popular sports but we have to be innovative and we have to be courageous to think outside the box," Dr. Graça told the members. "I appreciate all your hard work in this meeting and I urge all of you to take back home what we have discussed over the last two days and spread the word of what the FIVB is now trying to achieve. All parties - players, organisers, confederations, federations and stakeholders - play an important part in this modernisation of our organisation and our sport."
Key decisions saw the approval for the Challenge System to be used during the FIVB Volleyball World League and the FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix Finals, with the option of federations to be able to use the system during the Preliminary Round. While a global plan to develop female referees through organising specialised International Referee Courses for female referees every two years in the development centre of each confederation was also accepted.
Meanwhile, the Board unanimously endorsed the new beach volleyball selection criteria put in place for the 2013 season, which sees the vacancies for tournaments belonging to the national federations (same as the Continental Cup process) while the ranking points are allocated to each player for ranking, entry and seeding purposes. This new criteria brings the selection policy of beach volleyball in line with volleyball.
The first event of the 2013 season is the Fuzhou Open in China from April 23 to 28 with the confirmed Team Entry List expected to be unveiled early next week.
Other major results saw the FIVB General Regulations, Disciplinary Regulations, FIVB Tribunal Regulations and a new set of Sports Regulations all approved
The meeting ended with FIVB Honorary Life President Mr Jizhong Wei and Honorary Executive Vice President and Board of Administration member Mr Theofanis Tsiokris both receiving special recognition awards for their services to volleyball and the FIVB.
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win