Shanghai hosts opening Grand Slam of 2013
Shanghai, China, April 4, 2013 – There are 26 days until Shanghai, China’s financial capital, plays host to the opening Grand Slam tournament of 2013, the first of 10 tournaments on a new and improved FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour.
Local favourites Chen Xue and Zhang Xi won gold at the Shanghai Grand Slam 12 months ago after defeating Brazil’s Talita Antunes and Maria Antonelli in the final in front of a packed arena at Jinshan Beach|
A year ago local favourites Chen Xue and Zhang Xi won gold at the City Beach Volleyball Centre after defeating Brazil’s Talita Antunes and Maria Antonelli in front of a packed arena at Jinshan Beach, while Brazilian world champions, Larissa Franca and Juliana Felisberta da Silva claimed bronze.
The Chinese duo will be in determined mood to repeat their success and start 2013 in positive fashion after missing out to Larissa and Juliana for the London 2012 Olympic Games bronze medal and the World Tour crown last year.
With the likes of Larissa and Juliana, Talita and Maria Antonelli and Olympic champions Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Treanor having ended their partnerships, Chen and Zhang Xi will be overwhelming favourites for the World Tour crown and the 2013 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships gold medals.
Olympic silver medallists Jennifer Kessy and April Ross are likely to be leading challengers for gold, while there are a host of European teams aiming to break through into the upper echelons of the sport. These include Italy’s Greta Cicolari and Marta Menegatti, Germany’s Ilka Semmler and Katrin Holtwick and Dutch duo Marleen van Iersel and Sanne Keizer, who won gold in Shanghai in 2011.
The 2013 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour will run over a six month period and features 10 mixed-gender tournaments across four of the five confederations, the last of which takes place in Sao Paolo, Brazil from October 9-13.
The calendar also features the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships that takes place in Stare Jablonki, Poland from July 1-7.
It is the ninth straight year in which Shanghai has hosted a women’s FIVB SWATCH World Tour event and the final takes place on May 4.
Following the completion of the Shanghai Grand Slam the World Tour moves onto to the Corrientes Grand Slam in Argentina from May 22-26.
- The Fan Zone - SWATCH Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 6
- FIVB World Tour 2016 starts in Mexico with FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals
- Brazilian Beach Clinic
- Brazil record 30th title win in South American Championship
- Talita & Larissa net gold medal & “richest” prize
- Russian claim back-to-back European titles to cement status as Europe's Volleyball Queens
- Evandro & Pedro rebound for bronze medal finish
- Track stars become Beach Volleyball fans
- FIVB President Graça launches '9 goals' strategic plan
- Russia and the Netherlands to clash for European crown
- Beach Volleyball Impressions - 1981 from southern California to now in south Florida
- USA win third consecutive NORCECA title
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 4
- Brazil, Germany and USA pairs net Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals bracket berths
- USA face Dominican Republic in NORCECA Women’s Championship final
- Women’s EuroVolley semis are set; Russia play Serbia, Oranjes take on Turkey
- Brazilian world champions featured Wednesday
- Lost in America
- Italy, Poland, Belgium and Germany complete line-up for women’s EuroVolley quarterfinals
- “Wild Card” Tuesday at SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- 2017 Beach Volleyball World Championships bidding process extended
- SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals - Revised Side Court Schedule
- A mum who sides out
- Congress preparations in full swing as President Graça visits FeVA
- Netherlands, Russia, Serbia and Turkey progress to women's EuroVolley quarterfinals
- $500,000 Swatch FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Finals
this week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
- Brazilian city of Maceio host South American tournament calendar highlight
- Puerto Rican Aury Cruz ties own scoring record
- Russia lead men’s U21 rankings
- Dominican Republic top women’s U20 rankings
- Japan host successful outreach programme
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update after FIVB Xiamen Open
- Eight teams vie for South American Championship crown
- First FIVB World Tour gold for Switzerland's Heidrich/Zumkehr at Xiamen Open
- Milestone Saturday for Lucena & Dalhausser
- Zumkehr/Heidrich upset top seeds Wang/Yue to enter Xiamen Open semifinal
- Milestone gold medal for USA’s Lucena/Dalhausser in Xiamen Open
- Brazilian men stay top of FIVB World Ranking
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Participants Dalhausser & Lucena advance in China
- Latvia's Plavins/Regza storm to first FIVB World Tour semifinals at Xiamen Open
- Top seeds Yue/Wang unbeaten in pool play at Xiamen Open
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals participants beat the heat & humidity, stayin’ alive
- Nine berths still up for grabs as USA and Italy qualify for Rio
- Top seeds Wang/Yue off to good start in Main Draw at Xiamen Open
- President Graça praises outstanding World Cup
- Samoilovs/Smedins, Lucena/ Dalhausser reach last 16 at Xiamen Open
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Men's World Cup Japan 2015 - Final Day
- USA’s Anderson heads Men’s World Cup Dream Team
- USA wrap up historic World Cup as Italy join them on road to Rio