Shanghai hosts opening Grand Slam of 2013
Shanghai, China, April 4, 2013 – There are 26 days until Shanghai, China’s financial capital, plays host to the opening Grand Slam tournament of 2013, the first of 10 tournaments on a new and improved FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour.
Local favourites Chen Xue and Zhang Xi won gold at the Shanghai Grand Slam 12 months ago after defeating Brazil’s Talita Antunes and Maria Antonelli in the final in front of a packed arena at Jinshan Beach|
A year ago local favourites Chen Xue and Zhang Xi won gold at the City Beach Volleyball Centre after defeating Brazil’s Talita Antunes and Maria Antonelli in front of a packed arena at Jinshan Beach, while Brazilian world champions, Larissa Franca and Juliana Felisberta da Silva claimed bronze.
The Chinese duo will be in determined mood to repeat their success and start 2013 in positive fashion after missing out to Larissa and Juliana for the London 2012 Olympic Games bronze medal and the World Tour crown last year.
With the likes of Larissa and Juliana, Talita and Maria Antonelli and Olympic champions Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Treanor having ended their partnerships, Chen and Zhang Xi will be overwhelming favourites for the World Tour crown and the 2013 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships gold medals.
Olympic silver medallists Jennifer Kessy and April Ross are likely to be leading challengers for gold, while there are a host of European teams aiming to break through into the upper echelons of the sport. These include Italy’s Greta Cicolari and Marta Menegatti, Germany’s Ilka Semmler and Katrin Holtwick and Dutch duo Marleen van Iersel and Sanne Keizer, who won gold in Shanghai in 2011.
The 2013 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour will run over a six month period and features 10 mixed-gender tournaments across four of the five confederations, the last of which takes place in Sao Paolo, Brazil from October 9-13.
The calendar also features the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships that takes place in Stare Jablonki, Poland from July 1-7.
It is the ninth straight year in which Shanghai has hosted a women’s FIVB SWATCH World Tour event and the final takes place on May 4.
Following the completion of the Shanghai Grand Slam the World Tour moves onto to the Corrientes Grand Slam in Argentina from May 22-26.
- Puerto Rico: “Soto-Man” makes experience count
- Talking Stats: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour—July 29
- Medal winners return to Porto for the U19 World Championships
- Poland, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Bulgaria assume early pool leadership in World Grand Prix
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 11 events
- Elisa Togut looks ahead to Women's World Championship
- Social Timeline: Golden fun in the Long Beach sun
- Social Timeline: New format, same excitement as 2014 Grand Prix begins
- Historic success for Mexico
- USA’s Dalhausser & Rosenthal net third 2014 World Tour gold
- Ross/Walsh Jennings capture women’s gold on home sand
- Back-to-back Larnaka gold for Poland’s Bryl and Kujawiak
- Four European teams keep spotless win-records in World Grand Prix
- Brazil to battle USA Sunday for Long Beach women’s gold
- Men’s Long Beach final between Poland, USA
- U21 World Championships in Larnaka down to last eight
- Collin cites competition
- Kenya stand as sole debutant winner on World Grand Prix opener
- Two USA duos along with Germany, Poland win quarterfinals Friday in Long Beach
- Women’s elite eight ready for quarterfinals and semis in Long Beach
- Top teams thrive at U21 World Championships
- Lima is ready for the World Grand Prix
- Akers applies authentic accentuate
- Africa Queens land in Mexico for FIVB World Grand Prix
- Mexico to stage first weekend of FIVB World Grand Prix Pool Q matches
- 24 Men’s teams set for Long Beach single-elimination rounds
- Women’s field reduced to 24 for single-elimination rounds in Long Beach
- Main draw of the FIVB U21 World Championships on its way
- Beach Volleyball under the Big “T.O.P.”
- World Grand Prix statistical preview: Brazil eye back-to-back titles
- 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Media Guide online
- Peru intensify workouts ahead of World Grand Prix
- Kazakhstan bring in experience for World Grand Prix opening weekend in Almaty
- Argentina prepare for first weekend of World Grand Prix
- Five teams make their debuts as record-breaking FIVB World Grand Prix gets underway
- World Grand Prix: Bigger and better than ever
- 1986: USA bring a halt to East European dominance
- World League's top four USA, Brazil, Italy and Iran contribute to Dream Team
- 13 Women’s duos win first two of three rounds of Pool Play Wednesday at Alamitos Beach
- Men complete first of three rounds of Pool Play at Long Beach
- Researcher reaps rewards
- Eight qualification winners and five lucky losers make it into U21 main draw
- FIVB President holds FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship talks with JVA and TBS
- “Best ever”: USA and the sport of volleyball are winners as the FIVB World League celebrates its 25th anniversary
- Italian Prime Minister attends FIVB World League Finals in Florence
- ASICS World Series of Beach Volleyball, a $1,000,000 FIVB Grand Slam in Long Beach
- Finding Stars on Alamitos Beach
- Andrea Zorzi: Speed is at the heart of modern volleyball
- World League performances reshuffle world ranking
- Algeria to host Women's U18 and U23 African Nations Championships