FIVB Executive Committee meets prior to Board of Administration meeting
Lausanne, Switzerland, April 3, 2013 – The International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) Executive Committee met at the FIVB headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland on Wednesday in preparation of the Board of Administration meeting on Thursday and Friday.
The FIVB Honorary Life President Jizhong Wei and the Presidents of the FIVB Commissions were in attendance at Wednesday's Executive Committee meeting|
Continued development and modernisation were the key themes as the Executive Committee approved the agenda for the Board of Administration meeting.
FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° opened the meeting, which included FIVB Honorary Life President Jizhong Wei and the President's of the FIVB Commissions in attendance, by stressing to the members how important they are in determining how to motivate up and coming federations.
“This week is about preparing new ideas to continue the good work Mr Wei started four years ago,” President Graça said. “I love volleyball, I played volleyball, I still play volleyball, I am here for the development of volleyball.
“The FIVB needs your help primarily because we need to improve. We need to change our mentality from the past. This is very important. If we don’t change we are going to lag behind because society is changing. We need to modernise.
“Our position in the sport world is a very good position today. The Olympics were very good but we must come back to reality and react accordingly. We must professionalise the FIVB. We have a long way to go but even if we reach our goals in the next four years it’s not enough, we must go further. That is why we have all kind of people, all kind of thinking in the Executive Committee and Board of Administration.”
Mr Wei added: “When I was President, the main task for me was to bring the FIVB back into the Olympic movement. We had to clean our house first. Now the FIVB is a clean house. Like that we have the confidence of the Olympic movement – the IOC and other sports federations.
"The real revolution starts with the presidency of Dr. Ary Graça. Like he said, to change the mind is sometimes difficult. I attended Rio (Executive Committee meeting in December), now I’m here and I agree with the philosophy of Dr. Ary Graça. This is why I am confident the revolution of the FIVB will continue."
The FIVB Board of Administration will take place at the FIVB headquarters on Thursday and Friday.
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win