China’s renowned volleyball player Chen Zhaodi passes away
Beijing, China, April 2, 2013 - Chen Zhaodi, a renowned Chinese volleyball player – who devoted a significant part of her life to the sport – has died from cancer at the age of 58.
China's player Chen Zhaodi passed away at 58 after a long battle with cancer|
FIVB Honorary Life President, Wei Jizhong expressed his sadness on learning about the passing of Chen Zhaodi. “I am greatly shocked to learn with deep sorrow of the passing away of our renowned player. She was an excellent player and a Chinese hero, who dedicated all her energies throughout her life to Chinese volleyball development.”
Chen was selected for the army team in 1973, becoming a national team player in 1976 where she played as an opposite to orchestrate the team's offense. She was a key player in China’s win at the women's volleyball World Cup in 1981 and then at the women's Volleyball Championship in 1982.
After retiring in 1983, Chen studied at the Beijing Institute of Physical Education. From 1986 to 1987, Chen coached the national junior team, nurturing a crop of talented young players to third place in the 1987 Women's Junior Volleyball World Championships.
Zhaodi left her coaching post after being diagnosed with cancer in 1988, but returned to the sport after two major operations, as team manager of the women's national team from 1989 to 1992. It was during this time that the Chinese side achieved a series of podium finishes in continental and international tournaments. In 1993 Chen became vice-president and consultant at the Chinese Volleyball Association.
Due to her outstanding contribution to the sport, Chen was awarded the national sports medal of honour twice, and is the only Chinese sports figure to have been promoted to the military rank of major general.
Lang Ping, a renowned Chinese player and volleyball coach who was a national teammate of Chen, was shocked to hear the news. "Your fighting spirit will encourage me forever. I will miss you so much. We will be teammates again in the next life," she wrote on her micro blog.
- Sada Cruzeiro and Minas Tênis Clube to host 2016 edition of Men's Club World Championship
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016