John Speraw named as new USA men's volleyball coach
Colorado Springs, USA, March 25, 2013 - John Speraw, a two-time Olympic assistant coach for the US men's volleyball team, has been named the program's coach for the next Olympic Games quadrennial culminating at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games.
John Speraw filled in for then-coach Alan Knipe during four overseas pool play matches of the 2012 World League|
Speraw, 41, will also continue as the men's volleyball coach at UCLA in a dual role with the US men's national team.
"I am excited to take on this new role with USA Volleyball," Speraw said. "I am honoured to have been selected to coach this elite group of talented US players and I appreciate UCLA's support in allowing me to pursue this tremendous opportunity."
Speraw joined the US men's staff in 2007 under then coach Hugh McCutcheon. In 2008, he travelled with the US men to the Olympic Games in Beijing where they won the gold medal. After 2008, he worked with the US men as needed, including a stint as the coach of a young team that finished fifth at the 2011 Pan American Games.
In 2012, Speraw returned as the assistant coach for the FIVB World League and filled in as coach for the 2012 World League team for four overseas pool play matches while then coach Alan Knipe was dealing with a family emergency. The US men went on to win the silver medal in the FIVB World League Final Round.
Speraw assisted Knipe at the 2012 Olympic Games in London where the US men placed fifth after winning its preliminary pool with a 4-1 record. The US men go into 2013 ranked fifth in the world by the FIVB.
Clay Stanley, who played at opposite on the 2004, 2008, and 2012 Olympic teams and has served as the US men's team captain since 2011, was happy with the choice.
"I am surprised and pleased that John Speraw will be the new US men's coach," Stanley said, "He is obviously a great choice for the job, having served as an assistant coach for two Olympics. I know the players will be excited to work with him and his staff."
Rich Lambourne, who has been the starting libero for the US men since 2005 and is a two-time Olympian, echoed Stanley.
"I'm extremely excited to work with coach Speraw and his staff," Lambourne said. "He brings almost a decade of experience and familiarity with the international game and with the USA Volleyball culture. I look forward to his guidance and tutelage as I know of his tireless work ethic and wealth of teaching ability."
Speraw served as coach of the US men's junior national volleyball team that won the silver medal at the NORCECA Men's Junior (U-21) Continental Volleyball Championship in 2005. He served as an assistant for the US boys' youth national team (1998 and 2001), the World University Games Team (1997 and 1999) and the Pan American Games Team (1999, 2007).
- 2014 FIVB World Tour debuts at FIVB Fuzhou Open
- Two undefeated teams head into last preliminary match of Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Phil Dalhausser looks to climb back to the top in beach volleyball
- Watch: Drawing of Lots reviews capture excitement of FIVB World Championships
- Fuzhou gets ready for first FIVB beach volleyball event of the year
- Pepe magic helping Paraguay toward Nanjing dream
- Tianjin, Taipei undefeated, Hisamitsu lead Pool A after day 3 of Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Fuzhou Open Q&A: Get to know China's beach volleyball stars
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball Media Guide now available
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina