Alvaro Filho named as new partner of Ricardo
Rio de Janeiro, 20 March, 2013 – Former Olympic champion Ricardo Santos will team up with Alvaro Filho for his 13th year on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour. The four-time Olympian was without a partner following Pedro Cunha’s retirement earlier in the year, but Alvaro has been promoted from the 15-man squad that trains at the Volleyball Development Centre.
The new partnership - Alvaro and Ricardo (right)|
The 22-year-old Alvaro comes with strong pedigree having won silver at the FIVB U21 World Championships in 2009 and 2010. He was victorious at the Brazilian U19 championships in 2008 and the U21 Brazilian championships in 2009 and 2010. Then on this year’s South American Tour he and Thiago won the Peru tournament.
Despite being 16 years younger than the 38-year-old Ricardo, Alvaro is unfazed by playing alongside someone who has a complete set of Olympic medals, as well as gold from two FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships.
"I always wanted to play alongside Ricardo, who is an idol when it comes to beach volleyball,” Alvaro said. “From now on though I will have to look at him as my partner, it will be a novelty at first, but it is something I got used to when I played with other experienced athletes, such as Fabio Luiz and Benjamin.
“All my former partners have helped me get where I am. I want to thank Thiago, but this opportunity was vital for my development.”
Alvaro was only nine when Ricardo won the first of his three Olympics medals. He and Ze Mario claimed silver at the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games. Four years on alongside Emanuel Rego in Athens he won gold and the pair then finished with the bronze at Beijing 2008.
He was unable to add a fourth medal at London 2012 when he and Cunha fell at the quarterfinal stage. It was their final tournament together and Ricardo then teamed up with Vitor Felipe at his most recent tournament, the Mazury Grand Slam in Stare Jablonki, Poland.
“Alvaro is an athlete who has grown massively on the national circuit and was voted best young player a few years ago,” Ricardo said. “He is a great defender and I think we have a lot of potential. Hopefully we will make a great pair.
“I am a little sad on one hand because Pedro has stopped, but happy on the other with this new partnership.”
It is a pairing endorsed by Brazil men’s head coach Leticia Pessoa, who added; “Alvaro has demonstrated his maturity and developed well. Ricardo wanted a younger partner and after talking it over, we decided on Alvaro.
“Ricardo is happy with the choice and happy about the team’s potential and of course Alvaro is happy. He grew up watching Ricardo winning titles and says it was his dream to be part of one of the top teams in the country.”
With the start of the 2013 World Tour coming soon, Brazil have selected both their male and female teams for a number of training camps in the coming weeks.
Male - Alison, Alvaro Filho, Brian, Bruno Schmidt, Daniel Lazzari, Edson Filipe, Emanuel, Evandro, Hevaldo, Leonardo Gomes, Oscar, Pedro Solberg, Ricardo, Thiago and Vitor Felipe.
Female - Agatha, Angela, Barbara Seixas, Carolina Solberg, Elize Maia, Lili, Maria Clara, Maria Elisa, Rebecca, Taiana and Talita.
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament