Alvaro Filho named as new partner of Ricardo
Rio de Janeiro, 20 March, 2013 – Former Olympic champion Ricardo Santos will team up with Alvaro Filho for his 13th year on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour. The four-time Olympian was without a partner following Pedro Cunha’s retirement earlier in the year, but Alvaro has been promoted from the 15-man squad that trains at the Volleyball Development Centre.
The new partnership - Alvaro and Ricardo (right)|
The 22-year-old Alvaro comes with strong pedigree having won silver at the FIVB U21 World Championships in 2009 and 2010. He was victorious at the Brazilian U19 championships in 2008 and the U21 Brazilian championships in 2009 and 2010. Then on this year’s South American Tour he and Thiago won the Peru tournament.
Despite being 16 years younger than the 38-year-old Ricardo, Alvaro is unfazed by playing alongside someone who has a complete set of Olympic medals, as well as gold from two FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships.
"I always wanted to play alongside Ricardo, who is an idol when it comes to beach volleyball,” Alvaro said. “From now on though I will have to look at him as my partner, it will be a novelty at first, but it is something I got used to when I played with other experienced athletes, such as Fabio Luiz and Benjamin.
“All my former partners have helped me get where I am. I want to thank Thiago, but this opportunity was vital for my development.”
Alvaro was only nine when Ricardo won the first of his three Olympics medals. He and Ze Mario claimed silver at the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games. Four years on alongside Emanuel Rego in Athens he won gold and the pair then finished with the bronze at Beijing 2008.
He was unable to add a fourth medal at London 2012 when he and Cunha fell at the quarterfinal stage. It was their final tournament together and Ricardo then teamed up with Vitor Felipe at his most recent tournament, the Mazury Grand Slam in Stare Jablonki, Poland.
“Alvaro is an athlete who has grown massively on the national circuit and was voted best young player a few years ago,” Ricardo said. “He is a great defender and I think we have a lot of potential. Hopefully we will make a great pair.
“I am a little sad on one hand because Pedro has stopped, but happy on the other with this new partnership.”
It is a pairing endorsed by Brazil men’s head coach Leticia Pessoa, who added; “Alvaro has demonstrated his maturity and developed well. Ricardo wanted a younger partner and after talking it over, we decided on Alvaro.
“Ricardo is happy with the choice and happy about the team’s potential and of course Alvaro is happy. He grew up watching Ricardo winning titles and says it was his dream to be part of one of the top teams in the country.”
With the start of the 2013 World Tour coming soon, Brazil have selected both their male and female teams for a number of training camps in the coming weeks.
Male - Alison, Alvaro Filho, Brian, Bruno Schmidt, Daniel Lazzari, Edson Filipe, Emanuel, Evandro, Hevaldo, Leonardo Gomes, Oscar, Pedro Solberg, Ricardo, Thiago and Vitor Felipe.
Female - Agatha, Angela, Barbara Seixas, Carolina Solberg, Elize Maia, Lili, Maria Clara, Maria Elisa, Rebecca, Taiana and Talita.
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Puerto Rico hosts NORCECA Final Qualifiers to Nanjing
- Germany’s mentor Vital Heynen shares goals and vision ahead of international season
- Rules of the Game Volleyball Case Book available for download
- Underdogs hope to pull of surprises in Asian Men's Club Championship
- One million dollars in prize money up for grabs at Transavia and Long Beach Grand Slams
- Palestine stages mini-volleyball festival in Bethlehem
- Venezuela and Paraguay take gold in third stage of Youth Olympic Games qualification
- Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Thailand claim two berths apiece for Nanjing Youth Olympics
- Celebrating the power of sport
- Volleyball will have a big role to play – President Graça
- Board praises FIVB direction under President Graça’s leadership
- FIVB Men’s World Championship ticket sales begin Monday
- Belgium women's coach receives Sport Science Award