Vakifbank and Rabita to battle for European Champions League crown
Istanbul, Turkey, March 9, 2013 – In what will be a remake of the 2011 final – also hosted at Burhan Felek Volleyball Hall in Istanbul – Vakifbank Istanbul and Rabita Baku will be crossing their ways on Sunday, for the final act of the 2013 CEV Volleyball Champions League – Women. The winner will get the right to represent Europe at the 2013 FIVB Club World Championships coming up later this year.
A total of 6,500 fans were in attendance on Saturday for the Turkish derby where Vakifbank edged Galatasaray to make it to the final of the 2013 CEV Volleyball Champions League, which is a qualifier for the FIVB Club World Champs|
Rabita Baku claimed the first ticket for Sunday’s gold medal game after a thrilling five-set thriller versus Italy’s Unendo Yamamay Busto Arsizio. The team of coach Marcello Abbondanza overpowered the Italian top club 3-2 (25-14, 25-16, 27-29, 19-25, 15-6). Player of the match was Rabita’s superstar Madelaynne Montaño with 43 points.
Rabita dominated the scene in set one and two before missing out on a couple of match balls in the third. That was the turning point of the game as Yamamay fought their way back and imposed their tempo also in the fourth set to call for the tie-break. However, Rabita Baku jumped out for a three-point lead in the fifth set, forcing Busto Arsizio coach Carlo Parisi to call an early time-out at 2-5. It didn’t help as the Azeri still put a lot of pressure on their opponents. At side switch, Baku already led by six points. It was a great demonstration that the ladies of coach Abbondanza showed at that time of the competition. Foluke Akinradewo brought up match point at 14:6 with a quick combination at the net, before Aurea Cruz served an ace to bounce the Azeri in heaven.
Mira Golubovic, team captain of Rabita Baku said: “We showed a great performance in the first and second sets. Yamamay fought back bravely, but luckily we kept cool in the deciding set”.
Coach Marcello Abbondanza added: “I’m obviously very happy, since August we are working for that goal. Compliments to my team, but also compliments to Busto Arsizio. The Italians showed their great fighting spirit tonight”.
Vakifbank Istanbul turned into the second team to book its gold medal match ticket as in front of 6,500 delighted supporters the team of coach Giovanni Guidetti defeated the local heroines from Galatasaray Daikin Istanbul in straight sets (28-26, 25-17, 25-21). Best scorer of the match was Vakifbank’s Serbian opposite Jovana Brakocevic with 21 points.
Gözde Sonsirma, team captain of Vakifbank Istanbul said: “It was a great match tonight with a great atmosphere. Luckily we managed to win the first set. That was the key moment of the game”.
Giovanni Guidetti, coach Vakifbank Istanbul: “Congratulations to my players, but also congratulations to Galatasaray. Massimo Barbolini showed once more that he is a great coach. He managed to prepare his team impeccably. It gave us a very hard time to win”.
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals
- Brazil record 30th title win in South American Championship
- Russian claim back-to-back European titles to cement status as Europe's Volleyball Queens
- FIVB President Graça launches '9 goals' strategic plan
- Russia and the Netherlands to clash for European crown
- Beach Volleyball Impressions - 1981 from southern California to now in south Florida
- USA win third consecutive NORCECA title
- Brazil, Germany and USA pairs net Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals bracket berths
- USA face Dominican Republic in NORCECA Women’s Championship final
- Women’s EuroVolley semis are set; Russia play Serbia, Oranjes take on Turkey
- Brazilian world champions featured Wednesday
- Lost in America
- Italy, Poland, Belgium and Germany complete line-up for women’s EuroVolley quarterfinals
- “Wild Card” Tuesday at SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- 2017 Beach Volleyball World Championships bidding process extended
- SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals - Revised Side Court Schedule
- A mum who sides out
- Congress preparations in full swing as President Graça visits FeVA
- Netherlands, Russia, Serbia and Turkey progress to women's EuroVolley quarterfinals
- $500,000 Swatch FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Finals
this week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
- Brazilian city of Maceio host South American tournament calendar highlight
- Puerto Rican Aury Cruz ties own scoring record
- Russia lead men’s U21 rankings
- Dominican Republic top women’s U20 rankings
- Japan host successful outreach programme
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update after FIVB Xiamen Open
- Eight teams vie for South American Championship crown
- First FIVB World Tour gold for Switzerland's Heidrich/Zumkehr at Xiamen Open
- Milestone Saturday for Lucena & Dalhausser
- Zumkehr/Heidrich upset top seeds Wang/Yue to enter Xiamen Open semifinal
- Milestone gold medal for USA’s Lucena/Dalhausser in Xiamen Open
- Brazilian men stay top of FIVB World Ranking
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Participants Dalhausser & Lucena advance in China
- Latvia's Plavins/Regza storm to first FIVB World Tour semifinals at Xiamen Open
- Top seeds Yue/Wang unbeaten in pool play at Xiamen Open
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals participants beat the heat & humidity, stayin’ alive
- Nine berths still up for grabs as USA and Italy qualify for Rio
- Top seeds Wang/Yue off to good start in Main Draw at Xiamen Open
- President Graça praises outstanding World Cup
- Samoilovs/Smedins, Lucena/ Dalhausser reach last 16 at Xiamen Open
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Men's World Cup Japan 2015 - Final Day
- USA’s Anderson heads Men’s World Cup Dream Team
- USA wrap up historic World Cup as Italy join them on road to Rio
- Russia crowns outstanding year with Men's U21 victory
- Dominican Republic celebrates historic success
- Top seeds Samoilovs/Smedins lead pool in Xiamen Open Main Draw
- Germany's Mersmann/Schneider lead eight teams into women's Main Draw at Xiamen Open
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Men's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 10
- President Graça meets Peruvian congresswoman Chihuan
- Three teams to battle for Rio 2016 berth on final day of World Cup