Vakifbank and Rabita to battle for European Champions League crown
Istanbul, Turkey, March 9, 2013 – In what will be a remake of the 2011 final – also hosted at Burhan Felek Volleyball Hall in Istanbul – Vakifbank Istanbul and Rabita Baku will be crossing their ways on Sunday, for the final act of the 2013 CEV Volleyball Champions League – Women. The winner will get the right to represent Europe at the 2013 FIVB Club World Championships coming up later this year.
A total of 6,500 fans were in attendance on Saturday for the Turkish derby where Vakifbank edged Galatasaray to make it to the final of the 2013 CEV Volleyball Champions League, which is a qualifier for the FIVB Club World Champs|
Rabita Baku claimed the first ticket for Sunday’s gold medal game after a thrilling five-set thriller versus Italy’s Unendo Yamamay Busto Arsizio. The team of coach Marcello Abbondanza overpowered the Italian top club 3-2 (25-14, 25-16, 27-29, 19-25, 15-6). Player of the match was Rabita’s superstar Madelaynne Montaño with 43 points.
Rabita dominated the scene in set one and two before missing out on a couple of match balls in the third. That was the turning point of the game as Yamamay fought their way back and imposed their tempo also in the fourth set to call for the tie-break. However, Rabita Baku jumped out for a three-point lead in the fifth set, forcing Busto Arsizio coach Carlo Parisi to call an early time-out at 2-5. It didn’t help as the Azeri still put a lot of pressure on their opponents. At side switch, Baku already led by six points. It was a great demonstration that the ladies of coach Abbondanza showed at that time of the competition. Foluke Akinradewo brought up match point at 14:6 with a quick combination at the net, before Aurea Cruz served an ace to bounce the Azeri in heaven.
Mira Golubovic, team captain of Rabita Baku said: “We showed a great performance in the first and second sets. Yamamay fought back bravely, but luckily we kept cool in the deciding set”.
Coach Marcello Abbondanza added: “I’m obviously very happy, since August we are working for that goal. Compliments to my team, but also compliments to Busto Arsizio. The Italians showed their great fighting spirit tonight”.
Vakifbank Istanbul turned into the second team to book its gold medal match ticket as in front of 6,500 delighted supporters the team of coach Giovanni Guidetti defeated the local heroines from Galatasaray Daikin Istanbul in straight sets (28-26, 25-17, 25-21). Best scorer of the match was Vakifbank’s Serbian opposite Jovana Brakocevic with 21 points.
Gözde Sonsirma, team captain of Vakifbank Istanbul said: “It was a great match tonight with a great atmosphere. Luckily we managed to win the first set. That was the key moment of the game”.
Giovanni Guidetti, coach Vakifbank Istanbul: “Congratulations to my players, but also congratulations to Galatasaray. Massimo Barbolini showed once more that he is a great coach. He managed to prepare his team impeccably. It gave us a very hard time to win”.
- Brazil remain on top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games