Vakifbank and Rabita to battle for European Champions League crown
Istanbul, Turkey, March 9, 2013 – In what will be a remake of the 2011 final – also hosted at Burhan Felek Volleyball Hall in Istanbul – Vakifbank Istanbul and Rabita Baku will be crossing their ways on Sunday, for the final act of the 2013 CEV Volleyball Champions League – Women. The winner will get the right to represent Europe at the 2013 FIVB Club World Championships coming up later this year.
A total of 6,500 fans were in attendance on Saturday for the Turkish derby where Vakifbank edged Galatasaray to make it to the final of the 2013 CEV Volleyball Champions League, which is a qualifier for the FIVB Club World Champs|
Rabita Baku claimed the first ticket for Sunday’s gold medal game after a thrilling five-set thriller versus Italy’s Unendo Yamamay Busto Arsizio. The team of coach Marcello Abbondanza overpowered the Italian top club 3-2 (25-14, 25-16, 27-29, 19-25, 15-6). Player of the match was Rabita’s superstar Madelaynne Montaño with 43 points.
Rabita dominated the scene in set one and two before missing out on a couple of match balls in the third. That was the turning point of the game as Yamamay fought their way back and imposed their tempo also in the fourth set to call for the tie-break. However, Rabita Baku jumped out for a three-point lead in the fifth set, forcing Busto Arsizio coach Carlo Parisi to call an early time-out at 2-5. It didn’t help as the Azeri still put a lot of pressure on their opponents. At side switch, Baku already led by six points. It was a great demonstration that the ladies of coach Abbondanza showed at that time of the competition. Foluke Akinradewo brought up match point at 14:6 with a quick combination at the net, before Aurea Cruz served an ace to bounce the Azeri in heaven.
Mira Golubovic, team captain of Rabita Baku said: “We showed a great performance in the first and second sets. Yamamay fought back bravely, but luckily we kept cool in the deciding set”.
Coach Marcello Abbondanza added: “I’m obviously very happy, since August we are working for that goal. Compliments to my team, but also compliments to Busto Arsizio. The Italians showed their great fighting spirit tonight”.
Vakifbank Istanbul turned into the second team to book its gold medal match ticket as in front of 6,500 delighted supporters the team of coach Giovanni Guidetti defeated the local heroines from Galatasaray Daikin Istanbul in straight sets (28-26, 25-17, 25-21). Best scorer of the match was Vakifbank’s Serbian opposite Jovana Brakocevic with 21 points.
Gözde Sonsirma, team captain of Vakifbank Istanbul said: “It was a great match tonight with a great atmosphere. Luckily we managed to win the first set. That was the key moment of the game”.
Giovanni Guidetti, coach Vakifbank Istanbul: “Congratulations to my players, but also congratulations to Galatasaray. Massimo Barbolini showed once more that he is a great coach. He managed to prepare his team impeccably. It gave us a very hard time to win”.
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball Media Guide now available
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship