Olympic champion Brink confirmed with Fuchs for new season
Frankfurt, Germany, March 6, 2013 – Olympic champion Julius Brink has been confirmed to play with Sebastien Fuchs in 2013 following the announcement of beach volleyball teams by the German Volleyball Federation on Thursday.
Olympic champion Julius Brink is set to link up with Sebastien Fuchs|
The Brink-Fuchs partnership was originally mentioned following the retirement of Brink's long-term partner Jonas Reckermann.
The 26-year-old Fuchs announced himself on the beach volleyball scene when he won the 2003 FIVB U19 World Championships alongside Thomas Kaczmarek. He played once with Brinks last year, when they achieved a 17th place finish at the Beijing Grand Slam and he also competed at the Berlin and Stare Jablonki Grand Slams.
Reckermann was forced to retire due to a persistent shoulder injury following the duo’s gold-medal success at the London 2012 Olympic Games, in which they defeated 2011 FIVB world champions Emanuel Rego and Alison Cerutti in a thrilling final.
It was a fitting way for the 2009 FIVB world champions to bring the curtain down on a partnership that began earlier that year, but with the road to the Rio de Janeiro 2016 Olympic Games already starting to take shape, the German Volleyball Federation (DVV) were keen to pair Brinks with someone with whom he can mount a successful defence of his Olympic title.
"We have a current Olympic champion and we have a player who is definitely a possibility for Rio," DVV president Thomas Krohne said. "We believe that Sebastian Fuchs has incredible potential and that is why we chose him, because we have confidence in him.”
Brinks and Fuchs will be the leading men’s pair in a strong German stable that also features Germany’s other London Olympians Jonathan Erdmann and Kay Matysik as well as Sebastian Dollinger and Stefan Windscheif and Eric Koreng and Alexander Walkenhorst.
The women’s teams will be spearheaded by Katrin Holtwick and Ilka Semmler. After they reached the last 16 at London 2012, they won their first Tour medal with bronze at Stare Jablonki and then won their first ever Tour gold, at the Aland Open.
Laura Ludwig will also line-up with a new partner after Sara Goller retired following their run to the London 2012 quarter-finals. Ludwig will now play alongside Kira Walkenhorst, who won the 2012 U23 European Championships with Chantal Laboureur, and also played in six FIVB World Tour events with Geeske Banck.
Karla Borger and Britta Buthe will be the third main women’s team. They continue a partnership that dates back to 2010 and one which reached the quarter-finals of the Rome Grand Slam and European Championships last year.
It is already shaping up to be a busy year for Germany’s teams, who will be targeting success at the FIVB World Championships in Stare Jablonki, Poland from July 1-7, the European Championships in Klagenfurt, Austria, July 30-August 4, the Berlin Grand Slam that runs from August 7 to 11 and the German Championships in Timmendorfer beach from August 30-September 1.
- Fuzhou Opens marks start of record-breaking season
- Triple gold medalist Andrea Giani on past, present and future World Champs
- Getting to know: Belgium “Yellow Tiger” Valérie Courtois
- Slovakia to make the most of World League experience
- 2014 FIVB World Tour debuts with Fuzhou Open
- Two undefeated teams head into last preliminary match of Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Phil Dalhausser looks to climb back to the top in beach volleyball
- Watch: Drawing of Lots reviews capture excitement of FIVB World Championships
- Fuzhou gets ready for first FIVB beach volleyball event of the year
- Pepe magic helping Paraguay toward Nanjing dream
- Tianjin, Taipei undefeated, Hisamitsu lead Pool A after day 3 of Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Fuzhou Open Q&A: Get to know China's beach volleyball stars
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball Media Guide now available
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iran claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing