Olympiakos take the Greek League Cup
Athens, Greece, March 6, 2013 - This past weekend Olympiakos Piraeus beat AO Kifisias in straight sets (25-21, 25-23, and 25-17) to take the “Nikos Samaras” Cup.
The Olympiakos club is the current leader in Greece’s national league |
Olympiakos spiker Boyan Yordanov (BUL) was voted MVP while additional awards were presented to Georgios Stefanou (Best Libero), Demetris Nikolakis (Best Setter) as well as to Brazilian Igor de Sosa (Best Spiker).
Winners Olympiakos set the tone of the game from the very start at the “G. Triantafyllos” sports hall in Vrahati. And although Kifisias proved to be a worthy finalist the club only bagged two individual awards at the end of the match.
By claiming the trophy named after the late captain of Greece’s national team, Nikos Samaras (who prematurely had passed away a couple of months ago) the winners were awarded a cheque of €8,000.
Runners-up, Kifisias took back €4,000 in prize money while the final four teams received €1,000 each.
- President Graça: "FIVB World Congress an opportunity to reflect, celebrate and look ahead"
- Josh Binstock comes full circle in Toronto ahead of retirement
- Rio 2016 Volleyball House legacy starting to be felt
- Japan to host its first-ever FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship in Kobe
- 35th FIVB Congress to open in period of unprecedented growth for volleyball
- Eczacibasi celebrate golden anniversary ahead of Club Worlds
- Official FIVB World Congress website now open
- Buenos Aires to welcome Volleyball Your Way festival
- Preparations in full swing at PSL Manila
- Galaxy of Olympic stars in 2016-17 Brazil Superleagues
- Brilliant Barbara, Fabulous Fernanda newest Brazilian beach duo
- Olympic champs Ludwig and Walkenhorst aiming for new heights
- Iran, Japan, China, Chinese Taipei reach AVC Cup semifinals
- 2017 World League Finals bidding process launched
- Angela Leyva in rising orbit ahead of 2017 World Grand Prix Group 2
- Ricardo and Andre win Brazil Tour opener
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised